3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Building Wooden Arrows  (Read 373 times)

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
Building Wooden Arrows
« on: April 25, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
So, I have found a new passion!  I am really excited to finish my first batch here shortly, but I have a question...what kind of finish (lacquer, varnish, tung oil, etc) do you use to protect the wood and how many coats?  I want to protect them from target burn and moisture as well.  I thought about tung oil first then a few coats of minwax, but I would like to hear what you recommend. Thanks!

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building Wooden Arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
After the stain I apply 4 coats of wipe on poly by Minwax. Sand with 0000 steel wool between coats. I only apply two coats to the cap.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I've been staining, then dipping in fletch lac for years.  The stuff really smells though and no doubt kills a few brain cells.  Does yield a very smooth,hard finish, resistant but not impervious to target burn.  Regardless,  I'm in the market for some less volatile stuff.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I have been using Fletch-lac for years. Great stuff. You need a well ventilated area though. It's a very durable long lasting finish. Lots of other good stuff out there too. Compatibility between fletching glue and the finish is something to keep in mind. Make sure they work together.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
I use water base poly. and it worked very good. I would crown, crest then 3 coats of poly. let dry between coats then lightly sand after the 3d coat then apply the 4 and final coat.

I have found that I did not need to sand between each poly coat to get a smooth finish, just sand after the 3d coat and apply the 4 and arrows are smooth as a you know what. :-)

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
I use Dalys Profin. It is a oil base poly. It is very good, I found the fletch end of an arrow I had shot a deer with about 1 1/2 years later and the finish was still good except where a fox had been chewing on it. Little or no target burn with the Profin. I use water base aniline dye, different colors for the fore shaft and crown then dip the shaft. Fletch with Duco. I crest with Testor's and put a water base poly over the crest. I do this in the basement, smell is minimal.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
Daly's profin is the best I've seen at eliminating target burn. Next is MIN-Wax poly thinned with 30% mineral spirits..makes a good hard finish.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
Gloss and thin coats are harder than satins and thicker coats.  I use Min Wax gloss fast dry oil base poly thinned 3 to 1 with a good paint thinner/ min spirits.  Everything is a compromise, and this is a pretty good one.  It makes a tough finish that seals very well with minimal burn.   Dalys is very good, but unavailable in many areas and shipping it is outrageous.  Min Wax is easy to work with, available everywhere and very reasonably priced.  The water base finishes are nice to work with, but not as durable and burn resistant.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Wipe on poly here too. 2-4 coats Usually Fletch with duco or fletch tite
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
I have good results with spar urethane wiped on in 2-3 very thin coats.  0000 steel wool between each.

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Ok!  Thanks for all the responses.  I am slowly getting all components together.  Have been feather chopping in the meantime and building up a small supply.  The first batch of arrows are going to have reinforced self nocks and I am awaiting the hardwood inserts.  I will post some results when I get them finished.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©