3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moses Lake... and An Old Phartt Faces Reality  (Read 571 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Moses Lake... and An Old Phartt Faces Reality
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Moses Lake... the good and the bad...

Bad... I thought I wasn't going to make it.  The car needed work and it didn't get done on schedule.  Things were hung up for several days,  but the mechanics came through.  I guess someone did some night work, the car was ready to go at 8:30 and they cut the labor very substantially.  It performed beautifully over the mountains (it's a Subaru with 200,000 on it but always maintained) and we got to the shoot just fine.   That's part of the good.

For the bad, I was unable to shoot the course...  I was barely started and doing well (5 kills zones and a miss) when it became obvious that no matter how much improved I think I am physically, continuing to walk on little side hills of loose lava rock and really rough surface was a very bad decision.  My knee and ankles had made so many quick adjustments that it was clear the knee especially was not going to make it around. It was already aching badly.  The ground was so rough that even a cane didn't help.  So, I called it and went back to camp, having established a more realistic limitation level for a banged up 77 year old.

More good... I spent the day at my little table, chatting with old friends, selling quite a few odd batches of arrows I'd collected in cleaning my shop area plus a good J D Berry bow, and buying some badly needed recurve strings. (Does anybody really understand measuring these?  I got more different answers than there were arrows in the lost arrow bucket!).  At 5:30 my wife, who had dropped me off, came back in and we decided that one day was enough.  I'd walked the campground several too many times as well as trying to shoot a course and was pretty worn out.  So, we drove on home and, again, the car performed like a champ.

More good... when we got home we bought ice cream... fixes many things...

I didn't get to test a couple of newly received bows and limbs I wanted to, but I'll do that tomorrow on my own beautiful, very flat 30 yard home range, where any lump or irregularity that dares to raise its head is ruthlessly stamped down by the yard crew that took over from me a few years back  8^)

From now on it will be the yard and the club range, with a well established trail that I'm still OK with until I can't make the biggest hill on it any more.

Getting old ain't fun, but you can still have some if you work at it... and buy ice cream
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moses Lake... and An Old Phartt Faces Reality
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Yep getting old sucks . ..but it beats the alternative.  Good for you for giving it a try.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
You got me by a few years but I  hear ya. Getting a new knee after my bear hunt in June. Just keep at it no matter at what level........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Now i really regret not making that shoot. I would have loved to see you Dick. I'm really glad you are still making the effort to keep your love of archery alive...... Sorry i missed seeing you my friend.... Kirk

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Keep that archery flame burning Dick ... I've seen the Rock shoot TKO younger guys than you, good on ya for given it a go    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Hey Dick, glad to see ya still goin buddy!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Dick glad your still kicking around...... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Capt'n, glad to see you still shooting! Ice cream is always a good reward but, a quiet evening with a smooth blend of t'backy and a pipe that is an old friend makes good company also!   :D    :thumbsup:  Take care from your southern neighbor, TW.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Great to read about you again Sir

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Good to see you posting Dick.
I'm trying to rehab and now when a 3d shoot is mentioned is how touch are the trails?
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Good to hear from you dick. We miss your posts and shelf less bows on the bench.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Dick, you should be proud that you gave it a go. I know men a lot younger that have trouble walking a mile let alone hiking some rock strewn trails. They never leave the pratice butts half the time. We have all been "rode hard and put away wet" in our lives but getting back up and trying agian is what men do.
We look forward to hearing more of your archery adventures.
Tom M

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Sorry the shoot didn't work out for you. But good to read a post from you again. :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
Hi Dick glad to see you are still getting out and about. I'm glad that you had good fellowship at the shoot most times that is the best part anyhow.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Nice to see you post again Dick.  I miss your bow building posts. You have been, And continue to be an inspiration to many. Keep it up good man!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
It's good to see and read your thoughts "Captain".

I give you and your trad spirit much credit for "giving it a go" at the course.

I do hope that you keep getting out even if you can't shoot the courses because your presence and sharing will mean so much to so many.

Our bodies may give out but our spirit never gives up.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the post Dick. Missed you around these parts. I too believe the shoots are getting harder to navigate. Seems they are making them for the young folks. I'm a couple years younger than you and my F150 is just shy of the 200,000 mile mark. However, like you, we'll keep on truckin'.
   :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Wow!  I'm kind of overwhelmed.  What a warm response from so many old friends here.  Sounds like some are surprised I'm still at it.  Simple explanation:  Getting old is like the pyramids.  Nothing surprising, really.  Everyone is always amazed at the pyramids and I've never understood why.  You make a square of bricks and start piling up smaller squares on top and you just keep doing it.  You end up with a pyramid.  You can't help it.  The secret to getting old is the same; you just keep doing what you're doing and you end up old.  You can't help it.  Just keep doing it!

I posted a pic of how I'm currently "keeping doing it" (my current home range) on my bulletin board and, if the UBB code thing works, here is a link:

http://dickwightman.com/bulletinboard/bulletinboard.htm

If it works the way I think it does, you'll get to the whole bulletin board, which also includes, way down at the bottom, my current shop set up.

Thanks for the support, guys.

Dick
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
What a pleasant surprise to see you posting Dick. I've always enjoyed your contributions. Thank you.

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Hey Dick,
  Glad to hear from you!
                 Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©