3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow holder for truck topper  (Read 357 times)

Offline bruce

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow holder for truck topper
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Does anybody have a idea for a recurve or longbow rack or holder for the inside of truck topper without having to drill into the topper?
Bruce

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow holder for truck topper
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
I have thought about using a net suspended from roof to lay the bows in, but that's about as far as I have gotten with it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
I secure a 12" (or bigger) by 7' plastic pipe above the wheelwell or at the top of gunnel.  Swap the shell tie down bolts for eyebolts for points to secure ratcheting straps.  Using foam car-top kayak holders to match the curve of the pipe between the truck sidewall.  Works great for bows, long guns, fishing poles, ski's......and stuff.  Tom.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
Adhesive backed velcro?
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
Txt I need a good solution tl this as well. My recurve doesnt fit behind my seat and I only have a 2 door access cab
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
Ttt I need a good solution tl this as well. My recurve doesnt fit behind my seat and I only have a 2 door access cab
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by tom cunningham:
I secure a 12" (or bigger) by 7' plastic pipe above the wheelwell or at the top of gunnel.  Swap the shell tie down bolts for eyebolts for points to secure ratcheting straps.  Using foam car-top kayak holders to match the curve of the pipe between the truck sidewall.  Works great for bows, long guns, fishing poles, ski's......and stuff.  Tom.
Where are you getting 12" pipe?! Seems like that is way larger than you would need? I can get 2 longbows into a 4" pipe.

I like your idea of replacing the bolts with eye bolts though, I might have to consider that Idea.

My side window open so I was actually considering just bolting a board to the top of the bed where the shell bolts to the bed. It's a natural shelf, just needs one more side so stuff doesn't fall into the bed.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I've seen a few home made ones that was essentially a piece of 1" x 1/8 flat stock bent in a U something like 5" x 1" x 3".  It was then padded and pop riveted to the overhead cross pieces.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
When I had my topper I always got the fishing rod holders from Walmart as they have flat fingers that are rubber and hold a recurve perfectly.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
My top has a drivers side window that opens on the side.  I built a flat shelf that goes across from one side of the bed to the other out of 1" X 2"'s and plywood.  I had an old back packing ground pad that I cut and glued with gorilla glue.  I ended up putting a piece of 1" X 2" across the edge to keep stuff from falling off.

I can open the side glass and lay two bows across, or guns, fishing poles, etc., and still have all of the storage space in the bed underneath it.  Works great!  I can throw camping gear, tree stands, dead deer, whatever in the back of the truck and my bows are still up above it all and protected.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
Here's one from an old bowhunting mag I found. (Please forgive bow in picture!)    :nono:  
It uses PVC "cradles" attached to a 2x4 that are then CLAMPED to the bed rail/topper. Looks like it could be easily made to work for  trad bows or just about anything you wanted to suspend off of the bed floor.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Regarding the pipe diameter..I went to a pipe wholesale yard to look around.  They had a bin of castoff short remnants with lots of choices. When I took my selection up to the desk they said "just take it"....it was too much trouble to write up such a small sale.  It seemed pretty big at the time but now I'm using it constantly for a variety of tools and sporting goods....can send pics to an email..Tom.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Send them to me Tom... I'll post them for you... I'm curios about this myself... I usually just case them up and throw them on top... LOL

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Here's some pics of Tom's setup... now this is a slick setup... topper and all... never seen one like this...

Topper - The shell is either up or down in one minute.....really.

Topper extended - tent

7 feet of headroom with the top up and a second small bunk on the side that I just use for storage......slide around the boxes or take out as you choose..........

And the tube used for bowrack...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
That is one sweet topper. I was considering an in the bed pop-up camper for when I go alone on trips/hunts, but that topper is cool. Tom do you have the info on the company that sells your topper?

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
Hi Jack. It's called a Flip-Pac Camper. By FRP  (fiberglass reinforced plastics) It also comes with a "rain fly" for colder or wet weather.  I camp with buddies who have cabover pop-ups and this compares very well......LONG STORY  This unit was invented by the father of one of our tradgang members...the famous Scott Barr!.  They were originally known as "Barr Top Campers".  Now offered by several outdoorsy companies...in different truck sizes...Glad to answer any questions...Tom.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©