3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead weight and field point weight. and flight  (Read 414 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead weight and field point weight. and flight
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
How many use the same weight in both? How does your arrow flight change if at all? I have heard some say they shoot a lighter broadhead than the field point simply because the broadhead is in most cases longer. Guess I have been lucky so far in my setup. When you use a spine calculator is it based on a field point when it refers to point weight, or is it the same for a broadhead. I am asking because I am thinking about using a calculator for more fine tuning. Never really tried to get too technical with my setup sorta just winged it but it has worked for me. Go figure.
USMC 82-86

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead weight and field point weight. and flight
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I paper tune with field points and on a good form day and no wind I can see three pounds of spine.  If I match the broadhead and point weight I get great broadhead flight.  The broadhead is longer, but the mass is located aft whereas with the field point the mass is more forward and I think it kind of cancels things out.  Some day I will check that theory with some long Griz Kodiaks or Tuffheads and matched field points.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
My arrows fly about the same with a 200 grain field point or a 200 grain Zwickey Eskimo.  Neither set up flies 100% perfect every time, as I shoot with fingers, which are imperfect.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
I paper tune with field points and on a good form day and no wind I can see three pounds of spine.  If I match the broadhead and point weight I get great broadhead flight.  The broadhead is longer, but the mass is located aft whereas with the field point the mass is more forward and I think it kind of cancels things out.  Some day I will check that theory with some long Griz Kodiaks or Tuffheads and matched field points.
That makes sense with the mass of a broadhead being more aft. Good point.
USMC 82-86

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I shoot 125gr. field points & blunts, for everything... When hunting season comes, I switch the tips to 125gr. Zwickey Eskimos, or old green Bear Razorheads.....

Never noticed ANY differance in flight!!!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I always shoot the same weight field point as broadhead... however, that doesn't insure great broad head flight. Two blades can wind plane in some set ups.

We should all shoot our BHs before hunting... to make sure they DO fly the same.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
I always shoot the same weight field point as broadhead... however, that doesn't insure great broad head flight. Two blades can wind plane in some set ups.

We should all shoot our BHs before hunting... to make sure they DO fly the same.

Good luck!
Agree!
USMC 82-86

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
I have (so far) not had a problem with using the same weight head for both. I think the key is just good tuning. I bare shaft tune first. Once I am getting. Near perfect flight with bare shafts the broad heads have (again thus far!) had the same POI as my field points.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I shoot 175 gr Simmons Tigershark broadheads, 175 ace blunts and 175 gr field points interchangeably.
I cannot tell the difference between them.... if I do my part!

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
What does the length of a broadhead have to do with kinetic spine? I thought spine was all based on mass weight. I have never given this much thought. I had good luck with Zwickey and Magnus points early on and have just stayed with them over the years, getting good flight with both.
Sam

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
I use the same weight fp anf bh. No flight issues with either, and I shoot 1 1/2" wide bh's.

Bisch

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
I usually match weight of field points and broad heads, but can vary either by 25 grains with no ill effects.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
What does the length of a broadhead have to do with kinetic spine? I thought spine was all based on mass weight. I have never given this much thought. I had good luck with Zwickey and Magnus points early on and have just stayed with them over the years, getting good flight with both.
With some broadheads around 3" long, that length can be similar to adding shaft length, which definitely affects dynamic spine.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
I may not be from Missouri but I'm sure gonna through out "show me" when it comes to broadhead length.  You'd have to prove to me you were good enough to see the difference.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Wide broadheads for me are more difficult to get to fly.  I have given up on trying to get them to fly as I see not real advantage in taking game.  Arrow flight is more important of a factor.  Net (overall) Arrow length can effect the spine with very long broadheads.  Most archers will never see the difference.  It will show up at longer range, like the wind-planeing of wide broadheads.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
By the time you shoot BH's it is with a fletched shaft. If you see differences it is not as trivial as one might think. A fletched shaft can 'fly great' and be out of tune.
I as shooter really can't see too much anyway; the bow is in the way and the arrows are moving much too fast. And if you drop your bow arm to 'peek' you may well be inserting a new variable!
If you paper tune or BS tune get that down perfect, and your BH will fly the same as an equal weight FP. That's all it takes.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Here's a quick video on how I tune.

I prefer to keep all my weights the same.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Field points, stump shooting points and broadheads should all be  the same weight, or within ten grains... Another point, there must be "true-spin" of your broadheads... No wobble, just a tight spin like a top... Otherwise you will get down range wind drift...

My Two Cents  :dunno:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
On my cedar arrows I use 125 grain fieldpoints or 125 g Zwickys.  There isn't any difference in flight or where they impact.  I have some cheap carbon exacta arrows that fly fine with either 125 grain field tips or 125 grain bludgeon blunts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©