3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting  (Read 222 times)

Offline Paul Campbell jr

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Went hunting this morning and had a bird fire up at daylight.I called a little and went quite. He shows up with another gobbler in 20 minutes at 5 yards.I take the shot and it looks good but he runs down the field.I find blood and wing feathers were I hit him.i am using a 60 pound bow and a land shark it went all the way throw him.I have looked all over for him and used my duck dog to help me.My question is about how far out should I look? I have looked out to two hundred yards in the woods.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Wounded turkeys, like pheasants, are notorious for hiding and burying in ...under logs and overturned stumps, in crevices in the rocks, etc., so you really gotta look hard,, and a bird who has neither a broken thigh bone nor a punctured vital organ can go a long way, as much as a half mile, before they stop and can and take off running again if you jump them.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Turkeys are a tough bird. My first (and only) archery turkey, I hit a little low, broke a leg at the thigh, tons of blood. An hour and 3 more arrows later I had him, but I doubt I would have if I didn't stay right on him.

A wounded turkey I've learned will spread it's wings out and lay on the ground so they look exactly like a pile of leaves. My guess is with a landshark, he's probably nearby dead.

They are perfectly camouflaged for fall & spring woods.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Paul Campbell jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
The arrow made a crack when it hit so I had to hit bone.The shot looked a little forward not a lot.Just not  a lot of blood to help find him. I did not think he would go far with a 2 inch hole through him.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Well, while I haven't killed any with a bow, I've killed a few birds. If you where a little forward that smack you heard was quite possibly the breast bone that divides the two breast. With breast as big as they are if that tiger shark went in with the blades going more vertical than horizontal it's quite easy to pass through the breast without ever entering the rib cage. While the shot is probably fatal like others have said they can go a long way and or hide REALLY WELL, very tough bird.
 I once walked by a mature tom that me a friend cut off four times at less than 5 yards before I finally spotted him, he wouldn't move at all until he knew he was spotted.
 Anyways I wish you the best of luck I know the agony of not being able to find a wounded animal and it sucks. Like others have said look in and under everything, he probably held up and let you go right by.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Paul Campbell jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
I have looked all day.I hate to loss a animal to a poor shot.I practice for hours not to do this.With him at 5 yards and no blind I must have rushed the shot.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
Anytime an animal is lost, it just stinks!

Sorry for that!

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
I cannot add to the advice.

Good luck on your search!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
Good luck it stinks when that happens. I am using a string tracker this year. A lot of guys on here use them, got to help in retrieving them.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
It sucks when you can't find them. Good luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©