3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wayne National Forest, OH Deer Hunting  (Read 867 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Wayne National Forest, OH Deer Hunting
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
I have had a great year so far. I have been successful on both of my pork adventures, and got lucky and filled both my turkey tags here in NC. So now what? Cant quit now! On to 3d shoots and dreaming of fall.

And that is what this thread is about! I saw Izzys post on Campgrounds in OH, and figured i would start another one on Ohio. I am really excited about this fall, for many reasons, but this year i hope to really hit the Buckeye state hard. I have been cyberscouting all winter, and i really like the reviews and sound of the Wayne National Forest.

When researching WNF i found a lot of naysayers, but i think they were more jealous of others than anything it seemed like. I haven't been there, but supposedy it is rough, steep, thick country, this would turn away many, but that is what i have grew up hunting here in the mountains of NC, so i feel like i will adapt well in that environment. Myself, as well as a couple of buddies, are planning on multiple trips from oct-december, hopefully maximizing our chances at success. Does anyone have any advise of us? I'm not looking for anyones honey holes, as i don't feel right about getting something and not earning it, i just figured a few of you guys probably are experts, and maybe have been around the area and could give us some helpful tips. We have all wrestled since we were kids, so hard work, persistence, and getting where others won't go is something that is appealing to us.

I am not stuck on hunting WNF, just seemed to be the cheapest route, seeing as how we could camp there and all. I am open to all help!

We also wouldn't mind company if anyone would be interested in joining! (so long they're not whiny, needy, or jealous of other's success.)

What say you? Do we have any hope?

:campfire:  

Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wayne National Forest, OH Deer Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
I've never hunt Wayne specifically, but I hunt close enough to feel confident that you all will have a good time and will see some good deer.  Get away from the crowds and you should do just fine.

Offline superrman77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
I hunt the Wayne a good bit.  The terrain is easy compared to where you are coming from.  The deer sightings have dropped big time the past few years.  The Odnr finally reduced the bag limits for this upcoming season.  Hopefully we can get back on track.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the help fellas, as well as the few that pm'd! Heading up about may 11th to put some serious boot leather on the ground! Cant wait to see what were up agin. Might even find an overweight chicken    :saywhat:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Will you have fun? Absolutely. Wayne is a great place with plenty of land to roam. With that said, and understand I'm not one of the naysayers trying to keep people form coming, the deer numbers are abysmal. Come, and welcome...but were I a non resident looking for a state to visit Ohio wouldn't make the top 10.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
My advice as one who lived in Ohio and still hunts public land there (I hunted turkeys there last week): since you are a good turkey hunter, and because their license year starts on March 1, is to get up there with your NR license and a turkey tag in hand, and scout/hunt at the same time.  The season ends on 5/17 and after 5/4, you can hunt them all day.  I tried The Wayne but prefer the smaller wildlife areas.  See me at a CTA shoot and I can suggest a few.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
I will for sure take you up on that  generous offer jeff! I think we are going to go up there sometime between the 11-15, and do just what you are describing in turkey hunt/scout, camp for a couple of nights and see what all we can find. Like i said, im totally open minded about it, and if were not finding the sign were wanting to see, we wont hesitate to relocate and start over. Thanks for all the great advice guys! Gotta love tradgang.
Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
I'd suggest you look closely at 2 additional factors: accessibility and habitat. Traditional and extremely well known public hunting areas will get pounded in gun season. Search hard for the less accessible areas which might require a lot of effort and might not offer easy camping on them. In other words, if it's a pita to hunt...it might be a good one. Habitat: if you can find 5-12 year old clearcuts (fairly common) you'll have exactly what Ohio deer require. Big clearcuts are deer havens and nobody can drive or shoot the deer out of them. I've seen this scenario play out for 40 years here and it is dependable. Big super-thick clearcuts that are almost impossible to walk through will hold lots of deer and almost always some dominant bucks.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Good to know Kevin! Like I said, we are definitely going to have to put in some work (which is half the fun), but from what you experts describe, I feel like we can get on them!

Those cut-overs are exactly what we look for here in NC, and I have hunted that way my whole life. What we will mainly be looking for is those nasty bedding areas, with good terrain, like a funnel, saddle, or bench, with some sort of food whether its White oaks or red oaks close, or a field 500 yards away. Hopefully with some sign from last year. (rubs and scrapes)

We definitely would be excited at a chance at a monster oh bruiser, but honestly, while camping with good friends, on public land, any 2 year old 8 will tickle us to death. Its more the experience for us.  

Again, thanks for the help.

Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Deer numbers are way down but WNF in fall is beautiful.  check dates of early "doe" gun hunt and youth gun season would be good times to avoid.

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
There are no early gun seasons this year, thank goodness.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. Anyone done much turkey hunting on the wayne? Were heading up next sunday night, figured while season was in wed carry a weapon while scouting. How are the bird numbers?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Should be s bunch of turkeys but probably pretty quiet after being chased the last couple of weeks.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Ehh, even if we cant get on birds, that tag will allow me to stump shoot while scouting    :readit:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
It used to be that you were not aloud to stump shoot on public land in Ohio.  I have not checked the rules in a long time on public land stump shooting, but you should look into the legality.  Good luck on your hunt

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
I live across the river in Ky and have hunted the WNF for 30 yrs. Generally, I don't even run into anyone while I'm bowhunting  but some places are more "popular" than others. Most people won't be far from any access road so if you want to put in the effort to go a little deeper you will probably have the area all to yourself. Find large blocks of isolated areas would be my recommendation. Usually has good turkey numbers but the birds have been pretty tight lipped the past few years. Success or not you'll have a good time and see some new country.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
Awesome guys! I feel really good about it, wel see what happens! A very generous tradganger is going to meet us up there and show us around some spots, so it seems we may get a good head start.

That is absurd that stumping may be illegal, (i hate bureaucratic bull crap involved game laws.) However i guess il have to keep that in mind, like it or not.

I have a feeling we will have a blast, kill or not, which is really the point anyway. Hopefully i will have the time to make a "hunt along" thread to go with it.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Any luck last season husky?

I wanted to revive this thread because I am interested in taking a trip to hunt and camp in the Wayne this fall.

My main concern when doing some research was that some hunters were saying that there are tracts of private land peppering the Wayne all over and that it is easy to stumble on to them.

Is this exaggerated? And where can I get the best map showing these no-go areas?

Thanks Gang!

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Been hunting Wayne for 10 years, all I can say is awesome, just got back from another scouting trip around Nelsonville. Was told by locals to watch my vehicle as far as thefts, but haven't had any problems so far. Check out some of the wildlife management areas also, there is so much ground to hunt that it would take a lifetime to cover it all. Traditional bowhunters paradise.

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
postman -

That's what has me so interested in it all!

You didn't run into issues with it being pockmarked by private land?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©