3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Durian  (Read 214 times)

Offline galadriel

• Trad Bowhunter
Durian
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Has anyone ever given thought to the idea of adding a Durian fruit for baiting a bear?  Durian is a fruit titled 'king of fruits' in Southeast Asian countries. I saw it in person at an asian grocery market recently. The fruit is known for its distinctive  foul odor much like limburger is to cheese.  On a recent visit to the Asian market they had durian for sale. The fruit is bigger than s cantaloupe and has a sharply spiked thick rind skin. The odor of this fruit is described as smelling like a mix of rotting onions, turpentine and carrion on a 95 degree day, used baby diapers, late July garbage..  (it slightly ferments as it ripens and the flesh becomes custard like ..and gets stinkier). The durian I encountered wasn't ripe yet but when I held one up and took a whiff, it caused my nose to wrinkle.  I was joking about the idea of including it in bear bait this year with my hunting friend last night.
 "maybe your bear bait, but not mine!" He said.   I'm tempted to go buy one, let it ripen (not in the house) and open it up..Taste wise it's described as a fruit you either love or hate, no in between.  There are some hotels and tourist areas that have banned durian due to the rancid smell.. I will buy post a follow up later of this experiment.. Any comments?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Durian
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
Andrew Zimmern is from your parts and he's known for eating the bowels of a warthog but not a fan of durian. I see it at the market here and am tempted to try one out, but you go first!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
No, thanks. I'll pass.
Sam

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
I lived in Thailand for 6 years. The durian season is much looked forward to each year. G is right, you either love them or hate them. Me, I love them. So far as expensive bear bait? any body's guess...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
If it has some kinds of seeds, nut, etc., is there a possibility that it could establish itself and become  invasive.  That wouldn't be good.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
The weather in the U.S. is mostly too cold to grow Durian.  There is a small amount grown in Florida though.  I don't now about using it to attract bears..... It'd be dang hard to keep my wife off the bait pile though!   :laughing:

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
If Andrew Z. won't eat it you know it has to be pretty foul!  Maybe some of those Alaskan stinkheads!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©