3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bh's- feels dull but pops hair vs feels scary sharp but barely pops hair  (Read 312 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
i've started using grizzly heads and use the kme bh sharpener on them. it seems i can get them to pop hair no worries at all but they 'feel dull'. i mean you can wipe your finger along the edge and it won't bite in and cut without some pressure.

i have some double bevel heads like magnus 1's and i can get them crazy sharp with jewel sticks. they want to cut your finger with the slightest pressure. you can feel it grabbing your skin and wanting to cut but they have a hard time popping hair.

last night i played around with the kme and grizzly's and found that if i stroke from ferrule to edge then very lightly from edge to ferrule they 'feel' sharper while still popping hair.

i'm happy with the edge on the grizzly, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Clint try finishing them by dragging them backwards on cardboard.  They'll scare you then.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wingnut, flat side or beveled side against the cardboard?
Sam

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Alot of times, even when the blades are sharp, differences in blade thickness will keep them from cutting hair well unless you hold them at the right angle.  A good example of this is when trying to cut hair with simmons treesharks compared to centaur broadheads.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
X2 on the cardboard.I shoot double bevel and push the broadhead away from me.My dad shoots 3 blades and pulls the head to him.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
I suspect either will kill game just fine...spend your time on hitting them exactly where you want to

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

"it seems i can get them to pop hair no worries at all but they 'feel dull'. i mean you can wipe your finger along the edge and it won't bite in and cut without some pressure."

I had this exact same thing happen when I tried to paper wheels on a bench grinder. I knew they were sharp because the hair would just fall off your arms, but they felt dull when you ran your finger along the edge. It drove me nuts, and now I just use the KME knife sharpener and the hair still pops and they feel real sharp. I shoot German Kinetic BH's, btw.

Bisch

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
If it's sharp enough to cut you, it's sharp enough to kill!!!!!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Sam Mashni

• Trad Bowhunter
I believe that when you feel the sharp and it catches you are feeling the burr that needs to be stropped. Either on card cardboard or the rough side of a belt. I have even heard of using your  blue jeans.
Thank you

Sam

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sorry,  both actually.  Use the BH sharpener and finish on the cardboard by pulling it backwards.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
Clint iv found the same over the years some heads pop heirs but feel blunt wear others feel what I call sticky sharp but don't pop hairs then I started to finish off the sticky heads with the neck of a long neck And They pop hair's
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
My belief is it relative to blade thickness and bevel angle. there is a reason a scalpel is thin with a long bevel. You see it a lot on many modern stainless steel knives as well. They are sharp for sure, but they can still take a fair bit of pushing to get them to cut. Unless they have been hollow ground.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Sam Mashni:
I believe that when you feel the sharp and it catches you are feeling the burr that needs to be stropped. Either on card cardboard or the rough side of a belt. I have even heard of using your  blue jeans.
X2

My wood carving tools don't feel sharp, till you cut wood. It's the micro burr you're not feeling when the edge has been stropped or put on a very fine stone.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Where's Ron?
To me,  it would make sense that if you align all the microscopic metal "teeth" that comprise the edge so much so that they barely exist any more (as with knife guys that spend several HOURS meticulously  sharpening one blade with grits down to .0001 micron diamond strop paste til it "tree-tops" or whittles a hair),  it may not catch you finger as noticeably when you feel for sharpness.....when in fact the edge is scalpel sharp!  Just no more microscopic ridges to generate that sharp "feel" anymore.....  :dunno:

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
X3 on Sam's post.
Denny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©