3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Poison Ivy- treatment recommendations  (Read 1709 times)

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poison Ivy- treatment recommendations
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
I get pioson Ivy as bad as anybody out there so I feel for ya. This is the process that I use and it has helped a bunch the past two years.

If you know you have been around it. After I get home I go striaght for the shower. I rub the Zenfil stuff on my arms legs and other areas then take a shower. After the shower I have this dermatech stuff that I rub on.

Dermatech is expensive I found it on the web. You apply it twice a day to the infected area and it will start to dry up in 3 to 4 days.

Like I said it seems to be working for me.

As for your clothes and bedding wash them in technu it is safe to do. I normally wash bedding twice in it before putting it back on the bed just to be safe. Good Luck

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
I watch out  for it like its a poisonous snake.Prenisone worked best when my dog rolled in it before jumping in the truck with me.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
A hot air blow dryer will give some temporary relief to the itching much like the hot water treatment but you can control the heat much better than with water. I found that treated correctly mine will go away in 10-14 days and untreated it goes away in about 10-14 days.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
The oils in Poison Ivey are water soluble if you even think you touched it wash off immediately  in creek or with water bottle or anything.. I feel for you it is miserable, had it once after crashing a bike into a bush full of it.. now I weed eat it shorts and sandals and never get it...I allways wash off immediately however...
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
Wow - it sucks to be us.  I am just getting over my recent outbreak and took my last prednisone pill this morning.

I have tried most of the options mentioned here including the more caustic.  You can go so far as to scratch open the rash and then cover with gauze soaked in 30/70 bleach/water solution.  This should be just short of a bad chlorine burn and I don't recommend it (though I have been desperate and dumb enough to do it).

The two options that I have settled on, if I get a rash after a thorough cleaning with TechNu etc..., are 1)repeated sessions in a chlorinated swimming pool (swimming, playing, lounging, exercising) and 2)Ivory soap worked into a paste and coated on the rash.  The pool requires time and travel but the soap is pretty mild treatment and will dry it out.

I hate the meds but I have been bad off enough to get the pills three times in my life.  Funny how all three cases were related to hunting activity.  This most recent outbreak included half of my face and was getting into my eye - time for drugs......
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Zanfel worked good for me.  At $50 a small tube it should.

Jason

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
nu-skin is 6.00 at the drugstore, put it on and go hunting.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline WTT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I get it pretty bad myself. Seems like all I have to do is walk by it and I get it. When I go to the doc I get a shot and steroids but the stuff that works the best for the itch and seems to dry it up the best is a script from the doc for a topical called Clobetasol Propionate .05%. It's a clear gel and instantly takes the itch away for hours at a time. One tube of the stuff has lasted me for about 4 years now. Even the exp. date has long since gone, it still works. Great stuff. See if your doc can give you that. The calamine and all that isn't strong enough for me. This stuff does it 100%! Try it.
Todd

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Crush up some touch-me-nots( plant) and rub it on the poison ivy. Best thing to get rid of the nasty stuff

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
I believe you are reinfecting yourself.  It could be on your shoelaces and every time you strap on those boots you're re-exposing yourself.  Wash anything and everything twice that you know has been in contact with ivy--even expensive leather boots.  The same for tools and anything else that came in contact with it.  The oil can remain volatile on boots or shoelaces for several years I've heard.  And you can get it by inhaling the smoke from where a fenceline is being burnt, etc.

You can also get it by touching an animal (deer, squirrel) that eats or rubs up against poison ivy.  And the ivy plants are volatile even in the dead of winter (trust me, I found that out the hard way).

And with poison ivy, you do not develop an immunity to it, it works the other way around.  You get it easier and usually worse in the future.  Thus you now have to be VERY careful about any kind of contact.

I'm surprised the shot didn't work for you.  I go in an beg for the shot right off the bat when I get it...and it's almost like you can feel it working.  The best bet is to avoid it.  I wouldn't put a stand in a poison ivy infested tree if you told me I'd likely get a shot at a B&C buck.  Seriously.  Go to Plan B.

Good luck and I feel your pain.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
You guys ever hear of the poision ivy vaccine?

I got 2 parts of the 3 part shot about 20 years ago. (1 part per year was the treatment. Then it was taken off the market, never approved by the FDA. I got two big shots in my butt by a nurse  that enjoyed her self greatly.

I used to get poison so bad I can still feel it! I think I have had it twice since then, not nearly as bad though. And I really havn't had it at all for 2-3 years. Still, I take no chances, I avoid it like I avoid two hot wires.

Was the vaccine ever approved and back on the market?

Tedd

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Get some lye soap and put it on the area that is covered.  It has always worked for our son and I.  It will dry it up in a couple of days.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I am thinking two things about this- first that your re-exposing yourself. Second that you may not have poison ivy.                        

The predisone should have cleared it up- so the reappearance of it: suggests that it is in your clothes; or if you have a dog- it could have the oil on its hair. If you have kids; they could be bringing it in; and they don't have to be allergic to it; so they could be playing in it; and your touching something they touched.

The allergen in poison ivy is in an oil; so yes- really hot water can lift some off; alcohol can lift it off; but it can evaporate and let it settle again as an oil in a new spot.

As an oil though; you can use soap; like dish soap; any really concentrated soap to get it off your skin; and when you wash your clothes and boots and laces --- use a LOT of pure soap. Then hot water to get the oil off whatever it is that its on.                          

I don't remember you mentioning where on your body the skin is being effected. If its your hands; then its something your touching; and it could be there is oil inside your gloves.      

If your getting into water in your hunts; it may not be poison ivy; but instead 'swimmers itch' which is a living creature that is in water; and creates a reaction similiar to poison ivy. It again; would take repeated exposure- though for it to keep re-occuring.

When I was 12 I got poison ivy so severe on my let arm- that the doctors decided to wrap my arm in saran wrap. It then got infected; and that turned into gangrene. The doctor was outside my room telling my mother they might have to take off my arm; when I took off through the window; ran home and took a brillo pad and comet cleanser; and scrubbed my whole left arm to a bloody pulp. People that get a severe reaction to poison ivy might understand why after weeks of not scratching I brillo padded my arm like I did.

It worked though; and I only carry a small scar from where the gangrene was. Since then if I think I have been exposed; I wash with dish soap - lots of it; and then if it sets in anyway; I do the prednisone route.            

I cannot believe that you have had it this long without re-exposure going on. You really need to figure out where the re-exposure from. I have seen on hunting shows where guys have a treestand in a tree-with a vine going up it; with thousands of 'roots' going to the tree from the vine. These vines may not have one single leaf on them as they go up the tree- but they will have leaves at the top. I have seen huge oaks; that looked alive; but were one big solid growth of vines and leaves from poison ivy.

You really need to find the source of exposure!!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Oh good grief- I just read where you have it... then I read this and had to laugh...

" But boy once I've got it... man it's hard to shake. Best wishes Huckelberry!"
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
I thought I was immune to the stuff until I hit the big 40 or 42 I think it was. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with me in the truck at all times. As soon as I come out of the woods I wash my hands with it and any other exposed parts. It took a long time to get rid of if I remember correctly.Around two weeks with the Shot and meds...

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
OHHHH AND when the vine drops the leaves that is witout a doubt the worst time. All the sap runs into the vine stronger  and look out.That's how I got it I didn't see any leaves and after I realized what the vine actually was it was to late. I used to like pouring hot as I can stand water on the blisters boy that felt good!

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
I also missed the line about where the effected area is. Most of these remedies including nu-skin (contains alcohol)would cause some serious although temporary discomfort on those tender areas for sure.    I still think it would be better than to be itching in the nether regions. I feel for you buddy.  "[dntthnk]"
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I vote for tecnu as a preventative measure.
If ya end up with it, which is sounds like you got it bad, try this...
Get some Vitamin C gel tabs. Make a paste by separating the gel tabs and adding water. Apply the paste to the blisters....careful it could sting a bit. I was told this method when I worked for a utility company....part of the job was trimming poison ivy off the poles. It usually works within 24 hours...dries it up and alleviates the itch quick. Give it a shot....you will not regret it.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
My colleagues have had good luck with Tecnu. Can be gotten mail order if you can't find it locally.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=6024

I've only gotten it bad once. Must have been weeding it without realizing it and went to pee... Thought the swelling normally would have been appreciated, it was offset by the excruciating pain of having ivy in my urethra...two weeks before my wedding no less.
As my daughter would say TMI... but we share your pain. It sounds as though you may be rinfecting yourself. You can do laundry with the tecnu to remove the oils from your clothing, pets, etc...

Good luck.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Huck,
The only absolute certain cure I know of is amputation!  Assuming you'd prefer not go that route, try Ivy Stat.  It's available at drug stores.  Considering the duration of your infection, I'd have to agree with KSDan, you must be reinfecting.  I get some EVERY year.  It usually takes about a week to blister up from when you got it, a week of intense itching, and a week of it going away.  Sounds like to need to wash EVERYTHING that was anywhere near that ivy.  You must have it on something that you touch a lot; your bow perhaps?
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©