3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flat shooting bows....  (Read 943 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flat shooting bows....
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Ain't no such thing. It's called gravity.
:laughing:   Ain't that the cold hard truth!!!!   :laughing:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Flattest shooting is just another way of saying fast(est).  I like A&H ACSs and Morrison Shawnee longbows for speed/flat shooting.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
The flattest shooting bow I've shot isn't even the fastest(thru a chrono). You ask how could that be?

There are a lot of bows out there that will produce impressive chrono#'s at 6 feet but there also bows that are easier to shoot bare shaft. A bow that is easiest to achieve constant bare shaft flight at any range, will not only be more accurate but will have better down range performance. Of curious, this is only my opinion.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
A quote, "With a compound, everyone knows that the arrow doesn't get up to top speed until it's about twenty yards out."  That would be the flattest shooting bow, one where the arrow rapidly increases in speed on its way out to the target. Can a bow that is the fastest with ten grains per pound hold up to shooting a very light arrow?  If it cannot, perhaps a bow that can shoot five grains per pound and not fly apart just might shoot the fastest arrow.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
"With a compound, everyone knows that the arrow doesn't get up to top speed until it's about twenty yards out."  
Where did you come up with this quote Pavan?  it's almost laughable.... as soon as an arrow leaves the string it starts to decelerate unless you got little rocket boosters built into your shafts...... Boy i'd like to have some of those arrows.

For those of you who say that their is no such thing as a flat shooting bow, try taking a low preload string follow bow shooting 150-160 FPS and try shooting through 6" holes in vine maple..... Then shoot one at  190-200 FPS through the same tight windows.... There is a HUGE difference in trajectory even at short yardage......

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
If 3D is your main focus, hunting next I would look at the ILF rigs being offered. KirkII's bow is a top contender in that category. lately I have been playing with an Hoyt Excel riser and TT limbs. It is 60# at 28in. Shooting my Gt 55/75's weighting 520 grains it shoots flatter than anything I got.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »
hmm my post is missing let me try this again. My warf is smoking fast with trad tech long bow limbs and a 9gg arrow.

Offline Notenuftime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I recently received one of Kirk's Flatliner bows and I can tell you it spits out an arrow. My bow is 48# @ 28 and I draw about 27 3/4. I shoot 9.7 gpp arrows and am a gap shooter. My gaps are 2" at the tip at 20 yards, lollipop at 25 and point on at 30. That's a pretty close variation and makes a huge difference on the 3D range if you misjudge yardage. It turns shooting a 30 yard target that you think is 25 yards from a total miss to an 8 on a larger target like an elk. I've shot Fedora recurves for years and as anyone can tell you, they are no slouch in the speed department but I never had a bow that made me look like I know what I'm doing like my Flatliner does. It's quiet, super smooth on the draw and plenty fast. Can't say enough good things about Kirk's bows. Keep in mind guys, he asked for the flattest shooting bow, not a flat shooting bow. There's a difference.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
To me what I consider flat shooting is the distance I can look at what I want to hit and with my peripheral vision  point the front part of my arrow at it (the way I see it with my anchor, etc.) and the arrow hits it.

My Covert Hunter and Big Foot Sasquatch T/D recurves are the fastest and flattest shooting bows I've shot.

Offline Notenuftime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
You can see my bow if you're interested on Bigfoot's Facebook page. Scroll down 4 bows to the Black Walnut Flatliner dated December 25, 2014.

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Kirk, I listened to that being discussed around an early version chronograph at a field shoot in the 70s. There was confusion about how could a Black Widow recurve and a Deathmaster recurve have a bigger number than their wheelie bows. The other one that I don't quite believe is that 'fast only makes you miss faster'.  I like fast bows as much as anyone, but the fastest bow for one draw and set-up may not be the fastest bow for someone else. With 27" and less draw lengths, like mine, arrow speed is important and fastest is not going happen. For 3d shooting a bow designed to shoot arrows that do not need to plow through a rhino and at a lighter draw weight with possibly a less than a 30" draw, should be a consideration.  I would think some adjustments could be designed into the bow to match those priorities for the individual.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Gravity is constant. So the least amount of time an arrow takes to get to the target, the less it will drop. Unless you are shooting straight up or down of course.  :D

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
If you shoot an arrow perfectly horizontal or drop an arrow from the same height they will both hit the ground in the same amount of time.

A so called "flat shooting bow" will send that arrow a longer distance until it lands. All arrows travel in an arc and begin slowing immediately after the string leaves the nock.

So what we are really talking about is bow efficiency, launching a hunting weight arrow with an acceptable amount of trajectory. There is no such thing as a flat shooting bow.

As Boomerang said "Gravity is constant. So the least amount of time an arrow takes to get to the target, the less it will drop."
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Bows that stack, not smooth throughout their cycle, are going to have a shorter muscle area of thrust.  So all things being equal, the bow that is smooth out to your draw, is going to shoot a flatter trajectory. So, the comments that pounds at your draw weight is all that matters are missing an important piece of the equation. Dakota bows are rarely mentioned here, but are at the top of the list. Add in is the bow stable, fast at the draw weight and quiet, and quiet, and few compare. I have the affliction that so many bow brothers have, so have owned them all at one time or another.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
A&H.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
"Flat" is an illusion. Every bow of every type exists in the same gravity-bound planet where an arrow, once off the rest, accelerates downward at approx 32 FPS per second less air resistance. That being said, the best creator of the illusion I have ever shot was a 1962 Bear Polar that would tolerate as little as 7.5 gpp with a good release and with a properly matched spine, those light arrows just rocketed off that bow like they were being shot with a nail gun.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
If you shoot an arrow perfectly horizontal or drop an arrow from the same height they will both hit the ground in the same amount of time.

A so called "flat shooting bow" will send that arrow a longer distance until it lands. All arrows travel in an arc and begin slowing immediately after the string leaves the nock.

So what we are really talking about is bow efficiency, launching a hunting weight arrow with an acceptable amount of trajectory. There is no such thing as a flat shooting bow.

As Boomerang said "Gravity is constant. So the least amount of time an arrow takes to get to the target, the less it will drop."
Maybe we should say a "Flatter" shooting bow then.

Faster is flatter.....

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Actually an arrow starts loosing speed as soon as it leaves the string, but it doesn't start dropping until it reaches the apex of the arch.

Maybe we should say a "Flatter" shooting bow rather that using the word flat.

Faster is flatter.....

[/b]

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words Bro. Kirk. Nice and instructive.

Depending on the distance and size of the target the first diagram shows that at the distance being shown that you could overshoot the target or undershoot the target depending on your ability to range. Target 2 shows a strong chance of getting a kill through the entire range of the diagram with much less chance of overshooting or undershooting the target or game animal.

God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©