3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Lite Kanab Pant Vs. Kuiu Attack  (Read 679 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
First Lite Kanab Pant Vs. Kuiu Attack
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Ordering some all around outdoors bumming this summer to hunting pants this fall and would like to hear from some TGers who have had both. I had a pair of Kuiu Attacks that were nice but I ordered them too big so I sold them.

The Kanabs look great and in the spirit of welcoming a new sponsor I would like to try these out. My only reservation is that I keep hearing that they are on the lighter side and susceptible to tearing in brush. For you folks that have or have had both whats your choice for all around pant? Ill be wearing them alone or with wool under layers.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Lite Kanab Pant Vs. Kuiu Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I would be curious to here some thoughts as well. I have some experience with both but would find the decision of which to buy difficult.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I suppose the kanabs could tear on brush, but I wore them every day of a 10 day elk hunt with no problem other than a small tear from were my knee brace snagged them from the inside.  The ripstop design kept the tear from propogating, and it was real simple to fix.  The kanabs are more quiet than the Kuiu pants, for sure.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
Depends on your usage, but for me, my favorite backpacking/hiking/elk hunting/warm weather/active pants in the world by far are "C9 Golf Pants" from Target! They're feather light (10 oz), stretchy, very tough (I've got 4+ weeks of hard elk hunting and backpacking in one pair with no holes), water resistant, dry in a heartbeat, and best of all, they cost $30. I currently have 4 pairs in my closet in case they are discontinued, which they might be since they were on clearance for 60% off a few weeks ago.

No, they don't look "cool" like the big money brands, but they perform better and cost a fraction. And I've owned a lot of stuff from the top names.

Pete

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Izzy,

I cannot compare them as all I have are the First lite and I love them.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Izzy,

When were you thinking about purchasing new pants? If you decide to go with First Lite, you may want to wait to their new pants come out.

These may be the ones to look at first.

Corrugate Guide Pant
  http://www.firstlite.com/corrugate-guide-pant.html  

The two Kanabs

Kanab 2.0
  http://www.firstlite.com/kanab-2-pant.html  

Kanab Lightweight Pant (current Kanab pant)
  http://www.firstlite.com/kanab-lightweight-pant.html

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Love my first lite's. Did great on my elk trip and I'm taking them again this year. only tear came from a barb wire fence back here at home, but nothing holds up against barb. But I've never had the attack pants.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
I wear Kanabs. Both used pairs from TG members and still going strong after a few years (4-5yrs).  A traditional northwoods wool guy here- I have really grown to appreciate the light wt. as an outer layer with much versatility.  At first glance they really do seem like they may rip easy.  However- they have been very durable for me here in the midwest. Economics is a big issue for me (thus used pairs!), but the versatility from Spring Turkey hunting to late fall/early winter with layers has been just awesome.  I can easily see them working for typical western-elk type hunting.  

That all said- two things: 1) they are NOT COLD weather stand gear.  I still like wearing them layered for the hike in and stalk.  For all day and cold I simply pack-in some type of Primaloft bibs available from different companies; they are packable (loaf of bread or smaller) and so light- yet incredibly warm as an over all. 2) Though I do not have first hand experience- I would question their durability for a rugged rock mountain hunt (sheepish/goat stuff).  

They have pretty much become my "go-to" pants for 90% of my hunting here in KS and other midwest states.    

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
I was in the same boat and went with the Kanabs.  Getting them in ASAT was probably the deciding factor for me.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I was a little skeptical of a light weight Merino wool pant...but the reinforced rip stop in the fabric and the smooth finish (not like a sweater) is great.  I also like ASAT.  Love the pants.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
WOW.  After I posted I see the new ones listed by S2. . Wish they were more affordable.  Wait for used ones on TG. . .  :)

Dan

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Deleted

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
The Kanabs are on sale now, think Im gonna give em a whirl.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
KUIU Attack guy here.

I have never owned the kanabs but have felt them.

I personally like the sketchiness of the attack pants over the kanabs.

Both companies make great products.

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
If I wasn't so skinny i'd have some kanabs. I have read a lot about them on various forums and blogs and learned lots of skinny guys don't like the fit.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
I have both and like the kanabs just a bit better.

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
Izzy,
I bought a pair of Kanabs for the last Solana hunt I went on.  Great pants.  Needed some layering on cold days, but they were tough.  Only thing that hurt them was the sharp broad head I accidentally ran across them.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I usually do layer once November rolls around.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Izzy,

Here's some personal feedback in terms of durability.

From December till now, I've used the same pair for over 30 days in the field and I hunt in some pretty thick stuff. I also throw it in the wash after every hunt.

I'm planning on running my pair till it rips to shreds.

The thick stuff we traverse though. I'm just glad my wife's a trooper. I should be helping her through, not snapping pics...       :D      

The stickers

Some of the thorns

Just ask Doug about the thorns.       ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©