3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I drew a once in a lifetime Elk Tag in New Mexico  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I drew a once in a lifetime Elk Tag in New Mexico
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »

This is John Firestine that drew a tag and hunted with me. John hunted with a self made osage selfbow. He didn't get an elk but had a shot at a 5x5 but the high wind messed him up on arrow flight

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Man cant wait for the rest of the story. Country looks beautiful.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
With the resent passing of my good friend Ed Scott, I really wanted to kill an elk with the horn bow that he had made me and on the forth evening of the hunt I called in a real nice 5x5 that hung out at about 100 yards until almost dark. Then when he decided to come in to the wallow that I was guarding he came in fast. The distance to the other side of the wallow was 15 yards and he came in to what to me looked like just the other side of it. So in my mind he was an easy 20 yard shot, very dim light and the lay of the land between me and him had me fooled and the 20 yard shot was over 40 I couldn't believe it as the arrow seemed to fly perfect from the horn bow dropped just below his chest. With the light gone and the elk as well I stepped from the brush blind that I had constructed at the wallow and went to find my arrows. As I began to step it off I knew that it was way further that 20 but would have never believed that it was a touch over 40.
 That was a tough deal to swallow but that evening I had more bulls bugling and fighting around me than anytime in my life!

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
This unit is a once in a lifetime draw and if you ever get to go there you will see why. Its beautiful and full of elk, not that they are so big but there is a bunch of them. We did see two bulls over 300'' and I had one a couple of times under 80 yards that was way over 350.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Since this was a special hunt I took several bows, a few of mine, one that Ed made for me as well as a glass longbow that my good friend Neal Brown from MS made for me 13 years ago.
I really wanted to take an elk with the horn bow and hunted with it several days as well as a couple of my sinew backed osage bows. On the sixth day of the 10 day hunt John said Im taking my Black Widow today so I said then Im going to take Neals bow today. A 66'' longbow that will cast an arrow with ease I knew it any elk that came by today was going to be in trouble!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:    :archer2:

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I use to fish there Mike.  Sweet country and a bunch of Wapiti.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »

The evening of the sixth day we were working our way back into some timber that we had hunted earlier in the week when we jumped a single elk. We decided to split up and hunt till dark. I chose to go to the base of a cliff and John went the other direction.
The aspen leaves were as yellow as fresh cut osage as the sun began to set on the New Mexico mountains.
With just about a half an hour before dark when the snapping of limbs and the clinking sound of rocks could be heard along with the sound of soft cow and calf calls. As they made there way to me I could see cows and calves but no bull in the bunch.
I began to see the area that they would be coming in front of me and the possible chance for a shot. A small opening in the brush about forty yards away was the only chance for me to get an arrow to one. As the herd filled past one by one along the narrow mountain trail I prepared for shot. A mature cow in the center of the line of animals had my attention. As she began to come into the opening an Abowyer Brown Bear head on the end of a Wilderness Custom Arrow shaft found both lungs, passing through falling to the ground still shaving sharp.
As the heard crashed through the dark timber I knew the arrow had done its job. I could see the entrance hole perfectly centered behind the shoulder as she crashed through the timber.
After I hooted for John to join me we began to work out the blood trail in the dark. We had good blood but it seemed to end at a thick jumbled up mess of juniper bushes. I had heard what I thought was the cow crash just below the area so we centered out search there. After deciding that we were likely doing more harm than good trying to sort out the trail we decided to come back in the morning.
After a restless night, trying to make out the details in my head of what might have happened as it all unfolded. We awoke to a million stars under a clear cold New Mexico morning. Thankful for the cold temperatures we returned to the flagging that we left as a marker at the last sign of blood. Still looking low we decided that all the tracks were from the other elk in the herd and that none were leaving a blood trail. So I told John lets take a water break and go back to the juniper thicket at the end of the blood and I would look up the hill.
 I hadn't went four steps up the hill when I found fresh new blood, as I hollered to John that I found fresh blood and took three more steps when I looked down in a wad of low growing juniper and there lay my elk. I have never been more proud of an animal in my life than this cow was to me now. We had drawn this once in a lifetime tag, done all the hunt and work ourselves with the exception of some help from a couple of traditional hunters that live in New Mexico that new the area who gave us info through the summer, thanks Butch and Sancho. We scouted the area in the summer and hunted from before daylight till after dark every day climbing to over 10,000' twice a day most days we had hunted hard and we were both proud of the elk that lay before us!

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »

Once we began to quarter up the meat and inspect the damage of the arrow, we couldn't believe that we had walked within three steps of the elk the night before as well as that morning. John is a big guy and was a real hand helping pack out this meat. As he shouldered a pack frame full of elk quarters I told him that I would be making him a sinew backed osage bow from the sinew that I pulled from this elk. We managed to get all the meat out in one load and this picture shows me at the end of the packing out.
Once back in camp after icing down the meat we settled in for an evening in camp with a celebration dinner. Elk loin steaks butterfly cut an inch and a half each seasoned with seasoned black pepper blend and garlic as well as seasoned salt. Blackened in a cast iron skillet of smoking hot olive oil, finished off with a dash of red wine and soy sauce. The whole camp smelled like a fine restaurant as the old iron skillet worked its magic on the fresh killed meat like it has done on countless camps before!
As John and I sat and enjoyed the meal of blackened elk steak, mashed potatoes and green beans we reflected on this truly once in a lifetime hunt!
Guys make some memories this fall that will last a lifetime!
Mike

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Congratulations! Great story and nice elk!

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Congrats on your elk. Sounds like you were in a great area and you made it count. Thanks for the story and pics.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
Nicely Done! Congratulations and thanks for the great story too.    :thumbsup:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
John gave me the lowdown this morning, sounds like you guys had a great trip.  Congratulations on the cow, hey you can't eat horns anyway.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Good job Mike!!! Good story and an awesome elk!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
Awesome, Mike!!!

Congrats to you!

Bisch

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
Great story! Congrats on some fine hunting.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2015, 02:53:00 AM »
Congrats Mike
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement