3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets Talk two piece take down recurves  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lets Talk two piece take down recurves
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I'm a longbow guy...but would like to have one piece recurve that was actually a take down.

I really don't know what all is out there and what bowyers offer what take down systems, or what's new in the take down systems for a 2 piece.  I am familiar with the hinge. BW connection and bow bolt, but don't know what's new....not interested in the old 'sleeve' type connection.

I'm looking for a 60 in probably, about 56#28 and would like wide limbs to show off the veneers.

So, what's out there guys?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets Talk two piece take down recurves
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Terry,if I were to get one,I'd want Big Jim's sleeve system.It isn't noticeable and has to be the lightest system out there.I've handled a bow with the bow bolt but didn't like the amount of weight that it added to what should be a very light bow.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Terry,

Check out Cari-bow and the tuktu EX.

From what I hear it is a rocket ship and a shooter..

I haven't yet had the pleasure of shooting one, but have heard great things and have shot other Cari-bows that were excellent.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
Great Northern Ghost with the Jackknife take-down. Very solid.  Only potential downside is the little hump on the back side of the handle. I actually like it as the hump helped as a grip locator. It fit nicely between my middle and 4th finger.  The other thing I like about this take-down style is when you un-brace your bow, the bow does not break down on it's own.  The joint of the take-down is not loose. It's not hard to bend it open and break down the bow, but you do have to use some force to bend it.  It breaks down very nicely ready to stuff in your pack.

Good luck with your search.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
I shot the Tuktu that Abe was passing around on here.  My wife proclaimed him a marketing genius; I liked it so much I ordered a two piece featherhorn longbow shortly after.

I know others use a similar sleeve/ mortise and tennon type joint (Bama, Big Jim).  I cannot speak to those bowyers but I can tell you that the Cari-bow I test drove was rock solid when assembled and the grip design was among the best I have ever shot.  The bow was naturally pointing and repeatable.  

I should be getting my featherhorn soon.  I know Keith Zimmerman and Danny Rowan have owned a number of Cari-Bow's as well.  It is a solid design and beyond that Abe just builds a gorgeous bow!  I cant see you being disappointed with it.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
For a two piece recurve my top choices would be, in no particular order (save that the Toelke is the quietest, 'sweetest' bow to me, though the others are a bit faster):

Cari-bow Tuktu EX
Toelke Chinook
WhippenStick Inferno
Java Man Assyrian*  almost forgot!

The four of these are ace
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Caribow makes a very nice one

Macassar ebony riser and walnut burl

And this bow can do the job supposed to be done    :D    

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
Laurent ....what model is that?

Thanks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
Terry
This is the Tuktu EX from Abe Pener (Caribow from Canada)
Bow Is 62" but he makes it 58" and 60" as well.
Mine Is 60# at my  draw length
I find it very easy to shoot, really performing and easy to switch from modern heavy R/D longbow.

More pics

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
My Tuktu is a one piece - but if his two piece shoots like this one  - its a great bow and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.  The handle/grip is one of the best I have held and it shoots where I look.  I think the limbs are wide enough to show any veneer well and Abe just knows how to match woods.

If I was shopping for a new take down long bow - I would go with a Thunderhorn 3 piece (if you could talk Dwayne into building another one).... Its the bow that always seems to wind up in my travel case.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
I love my Toelke Chinook 2 pc T/D with the bow bolt system. Plenty fast for me and QUUUUIIIIIEEEEET! And a 2-4 week lead time never hurts either.    :)
Dan and Jared do a fantastic job and have some extremely nice veneers available.    :thumbsup:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
I had the opportunity to shoot a Widow PSR 2 pc. and I am now saving my pennies for one. Same grip as my PL's so no issue at all in transitioning from one to the other. I "think" it is basically the same type of take down system that Big Jim and Abe Penner use.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
I like the Toelke Chinook.It comes in 58".

The GN Ghost is very nice and comes in 60".It can be made with the broomhandle grip or locator.
It wont break down into as small a package since it folds together and the curves point away from eachother.

I had a Whippenstick 2 PC Inferno and it was a very fast bow with a smooth draw.Its a 62 inch bow and I dont know if he's still making it.It does have the steel/brass sleeve TD.

I think I would also seriously consider the Javaman Assyrian.Bow bolt and 60 inches.

Widows 60" PSR is nice with the locket/socket.Kinda pricey.Very tough bow

I have had alot of 50s style recurves.

The one I think that is superb and can do it all is a 62" inch Fox breed.I have had 2 of these in 2 PC T.D.Its only gonna be 1 inch longer than a 60 inch longbow.

I think it would meet any criteria someone would want in a 2 PC recurve in performance.

The Breed does have some features that dont meet your criteria.It has a narrow deep cored limb.I do like that though personally.The limb dampens out very quick and is hard to twist and is very quiet.The breed limb is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.The riser is very nice as well with long tapering fadeouts.very handsome bow.

He does use the brass steel sleeve.Mine is the small one.Its an excellant and strong connexion with no slop.He contours the grip into a locator type on  mine with bondo I believe.Nice grip.The brass steel sleeve adds some mass weight right under the hand.I like that.The bow has little to no handshock with this additional weight.Stitched leather grip done with care.

I have other bows with brass steel sleeve from other high end bowyers and the function,fit,finish was excellant.I would not rule  this system out completly.

The locket socket,GN hinge,bow bolt are all mostly very good in my experience.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Terry you really ought to take a look at a Robertson Wolfer...Dick has a great video on the website...I am sure you would also be as happy with a 2 piece Tuktu EX as I am with my one piece...and Abe's bow prices are in Canadian dollars meaning quite a savings for you

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
Here are a few we have done Terry.

Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
I will second the Wolfer by Dick Robertson.....it is the best drawing short bow I have ever shot to be honest.  Only had mine a couple weeks but liking it after shooting only longbows for past couple years.

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
Toelke Chinook is my favorite.  I'd like to try a couple of the others mentioned but I'm really happy with my Chinooks.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I think you mean Big Jim and Abe Penner use the same as Blackwidow. I know the Blackwidow is rock solid and it is so secure you should wax it so you can get it apart easier and they have instructions on how to do it to make it easier. I love there 2peice setup.     Widow

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Also a fan of the Toelke Chinook. Though mine is a one piece. If Dan made bows with the t/d system BW/Caribow/Big Jim use I'd be in heaven. 2 piece Chinook and 2 piece Pika and I'd be set...Mike

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
I believe he asked about takedown/2-piece longbows guys, not recurves.
Well, I take that back, the title says recurve, but he refers to longbow in his intial paragraph.

Either way, a Toelke bow with the bow bolt would be my choice.  Although their longbows have pretty narrow limbs.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©