3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My turkey hunting follies  (Read 572 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My turkey hunting follies
« on: May 02, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
It is not progressing too well. First off I refuse to use a blind, dumb I know but I just hate being inside one. Not claustrophobic, just prefer to be out where I can hear and see. Only been able to get out 3 times now, gotta work on that!!

Only got to hunt a short while today , and saw only one turkey.....

Recognize her? Traded for 2 of these this morning and got into em for a good deal, not even gonna  say how much...    :D  

Left one at bro's on the way home for him to use  and hunted bout an hour before rained out....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My turkey hunting follies
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
Hang in there and good luck.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Nice pic Kenny. It will all happen soon.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Decoys have sure come a long way bud. You've been out more than I have. I just don't have a good place to go.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Yes they have Mr Lamb! I looked at a friends Avian X the other day and swore I'd never give 75 bucks for a decoy. Now I got 2 of the blamed things !

The  turkey on the lease properties seem to be on the South farm, but the CRP kinda has me trying to outguess where they will be. Think I'll hit the little beanfield in the morning with the new decoy.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Good luck!!Remember in the fall they liked to roost near the Guru Gap and up above the original Gap stand.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I hear you on the blind but I use one.

I hunted for years without one, spooked some birds that I know of and who knows how many I never saw?  The first season I started using blinds I was shocked how many more birds I encountered. The blind is quite an anchor for me and I don't hunt the birds as well as I used too. Sometimes I wonder if the concealment advantage is worth so many dry-runs?

This morning was my 4th AM out this season. I have only 2 more mornings I can hunt with our Louisville event next week.

I invested in the DSD decoys this year. They are beautiful.

So this morning I hustle out the blind (I can be there from my house after 1/2 mile UTV ride then a 1/2 mile walk).  Get to the blind, go to look behind the cedar for my decoys...they aren't there.  I was stunned but then remembered, Not stolen (private land,) I took them home the morning before. Forgot them on the kids' air hockey table back at the house.

So I sat there hoping my calling and luck would win the morning.

Lost my confidence in an hour.  Try again in the morning.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Yeah Charlie, I called 4 jakes down from the North to the ditch a hundred yards N of the Guru Gap last weekend, but didn't have any dekes out then and they stalled in the ditch. There was a bigger bird in there too,had a thunderous gobble, but he didn't wanna come the last hundred either.

I was on the little knob 50 yards West of the stand spot.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
Hang in there ya old bird, you'll get one.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Closer today, called one from a quarter mile in from north to 80 yards , then he just went on south.
Then one from West to 30, he looked my new decoy over and drifted on East like he expected her to come to him.

Then after a bit, I eased to my feet to stretch cramped up stuff, and there was a silent one 20 yards behind me in the brush and ditch area.

I think I learned something this morning. The Toms like to be in the sun,whether for showing off or so they can see better? Any ideas on that theory?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
They do like open fields to warm up on a brisk morning, and for showing off.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Oh , forgot to say I have a camera on the gap stand tree, the 2nd bird strutted right thru there, should have some pics of him!  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Hang in there.  There's a lot of us out there with you, trying to figure out how a bird with a brain the size of a pecan can be so smart!

Remember to have fun though, while you wait for the turkey dinner to arrive.  ;-)

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Just being there is worth all the trouble, if the turkeys cooperate, that just makes it better! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Stay after 'em! I'm having the same kind of season, When I juke , the toms jive and when I get something happening, it stops around 100 yards. I just hate it that after I call it quits and head into town, the birds line up on the side of the road to thumb their waddles at me as I pass. Grrrr.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Sounds like you're having better luck than I am Kenny!  Keep after them!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
I don't use blinds either Kenny. Well, not the pop up type anyway. I do have some brush blinds scattered here and there in good spots where I hunt. It's funny though, probably half or more of the birds I've killed, weren't shot from them. I'll usually start out in one first thing in the morning, and if a bird comes in It's all well and good, but it seems like I usually end up going after a moving a bird, or circling around trying to get in front of them, taking advantage of what cover I can find as I go. I don't end up killing a lot of the birds I hunt like this, but I have a lot more fun hunting that way than I do sitting in one spot listening to birds gobble around me that won't come in. Even when I lose the battle, I always walk home with a smile on my face. Good luck Kenny, keep after 'em.     :thumbsup:  

Bob

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Follies, went to a new area, could not find a sign of any turkeys. I did one yelp series when I got to some cedars. Behind me and straight up the hill I got an answer. Too close to set my decoys, so I parked myself on my spike stool. For twenty minutes nothing, I blew a couple of purrs blending into a yelp and here he comes. From off the hill, over the trees, and just over my head. Missed me by that much as Maxwell Smart would put it. Landed in the little clearing on the run in front of me and disappeared into cedar thicket faster than even I could draw.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Good luck Kenny.. You should act like you are hunting deer.  when I was there those birds let me walk to both ends of my shooting lane.... Just sayin....

I think you get closer each outing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
LOL, I see I'm not the only one who isn't quite connecting!!  But what a rush without a blind when you get one close!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©