3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My turkey hunting follies  (Read 573 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My turkey hunting follies
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Makes ya feel almost naked, doesn't it?  :D  

Bob

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
I am with you on feelings toward the pop up blind.  Spring is about getting out after a long winter of darkness (well up here for sure).  Leafyflauge and ghillie suits can really help you disappear.  good luck!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
I've never killed a turkey in my life. I always take a bow and I can't say I put much time in but I do enjoy it when I do get out. I'm amazed every year by all of you guys that do kill them. Great feat for sure. My hat is off to all of you.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Clusters of cedar trees are your friends without a blind. If big enough, the top of your natural blind is almost closed in, being in full shade sure helps. No camo netting on these windows tho! Gotta be careful moving!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
Ya otta wear them fancy smancy pants of yours... Them turkey will fall in love wif ya and go blind looking at them..   :)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
My Gillie suit gets pretty darn Hot. I may have to stop using it and add a bit more challenge.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
When you have own land to hunt turkeys on, it is tempting to leave stuff like your Bush In a Bag out where you hunt turkeys. Don't do that, mice will make a home in it. I went back to get my stuff because I decided that there are not enough turkeys in the valley to hunt and a couple jumped out and a couple more were still in there hiding. I wish that I could draw in some more birds.  There use to be more, I think the winters have taken a toll on them.

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Keep after them.  I agree on the pop up blind but an close to giving in. I have a three year old son that I want to take And have been caught drawing the last four years.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Had a great setup this morning, had a tom gobbling back at a couple hundred yards, then a shotgun blast and all was silent!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
I have had three times on public land when working a turkey with a full set up that young punk run and gunners busted in on me and ran my tom off.  They hear a tom gobble and come charging in on you, it does not seem to matter if they know you are there or not.  One time one ran right between us and through my decoys.  When I yelled at him, the turkeys busted and he turned and pointed his shotgun at me, that was a major mistake on his part. He now hunts with a Bear recurve and hates run and gunners.
  I don't hunt public land on the weekends, but I will be going out for some more turkey abuse next week on public land, to collect some morels and ticks if nothing else.  Around here towards the end of the season toms come in quicker at times, but quite often they do not talk much or at all.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Well, season is over, they are maybe very slightly more safe than when it was on!!  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
A great season of trying for me,too, never drawing on a bird.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©