3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 30 days shooting 3 under: My results  (Read 731 times)

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
30 days shooting 3 under: My results
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I have finished my personal test of shooting 3 fingers under for 30 days versus my usual method of shooting split finger.  Following are some thoughts on the matter:

My goal was to give 3 under an honest evaluation to see how it works for me, for a full 30 days.

Most of my reluctance is shooting 3 under was I didn’t like the feel of it as I was used to shooting split finger.  And perhaps a bigger issue (in my mind), there was a whisper in the back of my head telling me it’s, “not traditional” to shoot 3 under.  I know that may sound funny but it did keep me from trying 3 under…

I have noticed with 3 under I am getting much tighter groups and having a shorter point on distance is beneficial.  My point on is now about 33 yards instead of 55 yards.  

I have better alignment I believe (I have been practicing this) and I like having the arrow up, under my eye. When shooting 3 under I am getting a cleaner release.

My arrow placement on the intended target has vastly improved with 3 under.  I have only shot out to about 50 yards so far.  I want to shoot well at all distances but I have been focusing on improving at 35 yards and in, thus, most of my practice has been at 30 - *45 yard distances.  

If I don’t hit anchor I really know it w/ 3 under, as the arrows will impact very low.
I have increased confidence now and I am shooting much better with 3 under and I am putting more arrows into the spot I’m looking at, which is awesome.

I participated in my first full 3D shoot in many years yesterday and I shot the best I have ever personally done, so that was kind of cool.

While shooting the event I focused on just the one arrow, not scores, etc.  One arrow, one target, releasing it with intentionality, just having fun.  If it didn’t feel right, I let down.  

I enjoyed the day and I suspect I will stay with 3 under through the summer, if not longer. I am enjoying the increased accuracy that shooting 3 under has provided me.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this…

Paul

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30 days shooting 3 under: My results
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
Paul, I too have wanted to try shooting 3 under but have not given it an honest try. Like you said it feels weird when you are used to shooting split. I do keep thinking back that some if not most of the best shots I have shot with shot 3 under.  I guess also that I am a little afraid that trying split for a extended period ( if I didn't like it) would be detrimental to my shooting split..
 How long dit it take to get the feeling that it may work for you?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Anytime you make a change, there is usually a period where things get a bit worse until you start to figure it out, and then things get better, and hopefully even better than before you made the change. Most people give up before giving the change enough time to see the true benefits.

Kudos to you for sticking with it and congrats on your results!

Bisch

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
MCNSC:

I would say during the second week my fingers felt ok on the string but really, I was distracted by a bigger issue at that point in time.

I was consistently tearing the side of my nose off upon release, and it hurt.  I almost threw in the towel but I knew if I quit, that I would never try 3 under again.  Plus, I knew I’d be all messed up going back to split and shooting a 3D event at the end of 30 days. And, there was the increased accuracy I was experiencing.  Not always, but enough to know something good was brewing.

So instead I spent several hours over several days shooting at a blank bale and at 25 yards in an effort to stop tearing my nose.   I  work a lot of things out on a blank bale.  I hate the black bale (right now at least) but it is a very helpful tool.

What fixed the nose issue was when I realized I was moving my head, just a little, to the string.  Now I don’t move my head and bring the string to head / anchor.  What also helped was having my draw hand basically brush against my cheek on the way to anchor.  Keeping the hand in tight to face.

Half way into week three I began pulling to anchor mainly with my index and middle finger, with minimal tension on the ring finger and my release improved dramatically.  Letting that ring finger barley pull, (guessing 15%) really helped, along with not moving the head.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Paul. Why would you consider going back to split as your last statement seems to infer? From your other observations, I would say staying with three under is a no-brainer. I've gone to three under also and many of the points you make coincide with my experience also. In addition to the three under, I also find canting the bow provides a much better sight picture. Traditional or not, I say shoot the way that provides the optimum results. And who said three under isn't trad anyway?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
I haven't really given it a good try because I have a fear of the nock coming off the string because of the string angle with no finger on top to hold it.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
I haven't really given it a good try because I have a fear of the nock coming off the string because of the string angle with no finger on top to hold it.
I agree to this point.  I feel that i have more "control" when i am shooting split.  I have shot 3 under playing around and I don't think it is bad at all.  In fact, I really like it, but i don't like that fact that I don't have "control" of my arrow.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I'm just getting ready to take a Rod Jenkins class and am anxious to hear his input. I started out shooting split finger. A buddy who was shooting a lot better than I convinced me to try 3 under and my shooting did improve. But I was just learning at the time too, so it might have improved either way.

I did have the experience of having a too loose arrow fall off the string and that scared me a bit. The second time it happened, I went back to split finger and welcomed the feeling of control I got back. A second plus to shooting split is that my longbows are MUCH quieter shooting split. My recurves don't seem to care much as long as I make the necessary adjustment to nock height.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm looking forward to getting some expert coaching and seeing where that leads.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
I am new to trad so I had the benefit of not being comfortable with either. I shot compounds with a release so shooting fingers was completely new.  I tried split and 3 under and I quickly decided on 3 under.  My release was cleaner and I felt like I was pulling the bow smoother.  My groups were much better with 3 under.  Where it really shined for me was vertically I seemed to be closer to the bull with my groups. I believe having the arrow closer to my eye really helped in that regard.  I am sure there are just as many split shooters that would say the same about shooting split.  I think 3 under suits some people and others are just better with split.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
I have "always" shot 3 under... but have tried split a couple of times.

As for the losing control of the arrow... I shoot with one nock, right now a brass nock, and that keeps my arrow from moving up the string... feel no "loss of control" shooting this way.

JM $0.02

Good luck and good shooting!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Firstlight I to had the same experience as you. I started trying three under in march and was surprised how much it changes my quality of shooting. I will say at further distances (35-50) I see the arrow more and really have to concentrate on my spot cause I get distracted easy.
I tryed just for sh*ts and giggles to go back to split and that felt really weird. I will be sticking with three under for the foreseeable future cause I find the good out way the bad for me.
I do find that I have more of an indoor form right now, very rigid and squared up, I don't really feel like it's conducive to hunting.... Thoughts? I would call it a Rick Welch form but not sure how that will work hunting
Anyway glad it's working for you, always nice when they go where you want.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Firstlight, switched to three under three years ago, my results are very similar.  For me it provides a better sight picture and a cleaner release.  A double nock and zero tension for both bow hand and string hand is critical to accuracy.  Stick wit it!
"They're all trophies"

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I switched to 3Under about two years into shooting trad. That was 20 years ago and still shoot that way. My groups and accuracy improved greatly when I made the switch. Shooting well is strong motivation. Never understood the "less traditional" argument. If you shoot three under, I'd recommend double nocks to prevent your arrow from sliding. If only one knock point, put it below the arrow so the arrow doesn't slide down on release. Shooting 3U puts the apex of the string angle below the arrow and it will want to go there on release.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I use double nock points of dental floss wrap so don't have to worry about the arrow sliding down upon release. One of my longbows has only one nock point and I place the arrow below the nock point and not above as Steve recommends. I actually shoot this bow better than any of my others. And why would you have to worry about the arrow coming  off the string because of the sharper angle with three under. Use the right nock and that's no problem. Also, just make sure your index finger is up tight against the nock and the arrow won't come off. Simple.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Highlow, I suspect I will stay with three under.  I did infer I wasn’t sure, I guess I just wanted more time to go by before officially making the commitment.

I spent a lot of time recently thinking about this and I am fairly certain I have made the switch for good.  I can’t see a reason why I would go back to split, given the increased accuracy.

3 Under and “traditional”- I know it’s foolish when someone states 3 under isn’t traditional.  I guess the people whom have influenced me in the time I’ve been involved with archery,  it just kind of went without saying that split is what traditional archers did.   When that is what is taught and people whom you respect gravitate toward that opinion and your having fun, shooting ok, why question it. There was really never a reason to give it a second thought.

I purposely mentioned this in my OP because I was surprised with myself that I was a little prejudice against 3 under.  Not intentionally, not for any good reason, the thought was just there.  My hope in mentioning it was that maybe someone else who was unknowingly limiting their potential within archery might consider 3 under as a viable option to increased accuracy.

When I began to climb out of the dark hole of TP a couple of years ago I had to unlearn a great many things and I pretty much had to relearn my entire form.  It was a tremendous amount of work.  Now, shooting much better and with TP generally in control, I have found myself wanting to continue on the road to becoming a more accomplished archer.  I have been questioning how I view different forms of archery and am trying out different aspects of form and technique to see what fits me as an archer.  To consistently have better control over the release of an arrow and hopefully have my arrows impact closer to the mark is one of my goals.

With the goal in mind of increased accuracy and better form combined with reading about 3 under and watching various videos such as Masters of the bare bow, Jimmy Blackmon, etc I found that I had to ask my self, why?  Why would I not try shooting three under for an amount of time that would give me an accurate perspective on it’s usefulness.

Having done so for one month and ending that month by shooting a 3D event and shooting better than I ever have is rewarding.

I’m just an average shooter; you won’t see me at world archery events.  I just want to have fun within archery and know that when I shoot at something I’ll either hit it or I’ll come close enough to still be pleased.  And, if I miss, I should know why and know how to self correct.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Kopper 1013:
This is just an opinion so take it for what it’s worth.  If your style of shooting is more target style and upright, or rigid as you say, then that is your style and you will make it work for you when hunting.  

Your style is what your comfortable with.  You will do your best to put yourself into situations that your form will work for you.  You have been practicing this, you know your effective and ethical range, and you will do just fine using a more, “target” style when hunting.

Now, if hunting is something you wish to spend a lot of time doing then you may want to learn some additional styles of form which can potentially open up more opportunities for you when hunting.

Things like canting the bow, shooting from your knees, swing draw if necessary, bending at the waist, quick / snap shooting are all techniques or aspects of form that lend themselves to hunting.  

Leaning these styles of shooting will, I believe, open more opportunities to you as a hunter.  It’s not mandatory to lean them, you have your style.  But if you do take the time to learn them, over time, you will increase the odds at a successful harvest and certainly gain a higher degree of confidence and proficiency with your archery.

In the meantime, hunt and enjoy your time with whatever style is giving your the necessary results.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
I use 3 under and it translates well into most of the "styles" you mention. Only issue I have with it is trick shooting. I am not very good at it anyway but, it is fun to practice a few trick shots. Split finger really comes in hand if you shoot laying on your back or up over your head.lol not practical I know but, still super fun!  :)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
Congrats on your success Paul!  This has been a very good post.    :thumbsup:

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
When using two tie on nock sets, are you supposed to put your tab on the tiny lip created by the bottom nock set?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
When using two tie on nock sets, are you supposed to put your tab on the tiny lip created by the bottom nock set?
Others can answer this better but I have been putting my index finger up to and gently touching the shaft / arrow nock.

I have two tied on nocks but they are dental floss (no serving available) and the bottom nock is very small.  Because the bottom nock is so small it doesn't affect release.  There may be a better way, I've been wondering about this.

I use a knot similar to a nail knot (without the nail) to tie on, just wax up the part with the loop so it sticks to string.  Then the smallest dab of glue.  It works but again, I'm not sure what the normal is when placing finger / tab to string...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©