3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Weight for Elk  (Read 1395 times)

Offline dustinwittwer

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Weight for Elk
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
First things first, my new Hoyt Buffalo just came in the mail! I am beyond excited and happy with this thing. I will try and post some pictures of it in action when I get a chance.

That being said, I wanted to double check with anyone who has experience with hunting western big game animals, specifically for me bull elk, to see if a 535 overall arrow weight is sufficient momentum/knockdown power. My past arrow setup was closer to 580 so before I change some things, I wanted opinions and thoughts.

I'll be shooting a 50# Buffalo rated @ 28" but I'm pulling 30" draw so roughly 55# actual draw weight. And that would be with a 340 spine Easton Axis traditional using a 150 grain broadhead.

Thanks for your thoughts!
-Stay Humble, Stay Hungry

Re: Arrow Weight for Elk
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Assuming that the arrow is well tuned, you put that arrow in the right place with a very sharp broadhead, and you will have a very dead elk not too far away!

Bisch

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
You will likely get a lot of opinions...in fact your question, at this point, has been asked and answered...now work on putting said arrow exactly where you want...and work on getting as close as possible to that big bull...and btw there is no such things as knockdown power when it comes to arrows

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
A good post. I have been thinking about this for some time. A lighter arrow offers a flatter tradjectory but poorer penetration at distances beyond 25 yards.
I know Mike Treadway shot an elk with one of his bows that was lightweight but the shot was from a tree stand at about 10-15 yards. He got great penetration with an aluminum arrow and a two blade Eskimo. Seems to be two thoughts on this subject. Eastern hunters prefer a heavier arrow but some veteran western  elk hunters prefer the lighter arrow for the potential longer shot.
Some of you successful elk hunters can post your set ups and arrow weights and rough yardage of shots would be very helpful.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
I'm a mid-westerner, but have been elk hunting for 25 years or so and killed a few along the way. Will a 535 grain arrow kill an elk?  Sure.  That being said, I prefer 600 grains plus.  

Don't know why folks think they have to shoot farther in western hunting.  I don't.  All of my elk kill shots, except one, have been inside of 20 yards.

I now shoot 52-56# ACS bows with 600-650 grain skinny carbon Axis arrows and two blade broad heads -- STOS, Abowyer and Zwickey.  Usually have one of each in the quiver. Shot heavier bows when I was younger, and still would if I could. Elk are big critters.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
Most of the critters I have killed have been with 8-9 grains per pound. Elk, Deer, Bear, Moose, etc. Has nothing to do with shot distance, it is just what I shoot. IMO the arrow weight issue has confused many. I am not advocating light arrows, of which I do not believe 8-9 GPP fall. But judging what is generally posted on this board pertaining to arrow weight one would be  led to believe 10-12 would be minimum.
Strong sharp broadhead and good arrow flight....and practice

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
There is some great info in that thread, Matty, by a sure enough master on the subject!

Bisch

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
There is some great info in that thread, Matty, by a sure enough master on the subject!

Bisch
Oh Randy!!??  He may or may not know what he's talkin' bout!     ;)
Last night a buddy of ours said. ...  "He's so lucky! I think he eats 4 leaf clovers and craps out horse shoes"
   :biglaugh:  
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

Offline dustinwittwer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
So, if I build the 535 grain arrow, what is your favorite 140-165 grain two blade broadhead?

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Stickbow wrote:

"Most of the critters I have killed have been with 8-9 grains per pound. Elk, Deer, Bear, Moose, etc. Has nothing to do with shot distance, it is just what I shoot. IMO the arrow weight issue has confused many. I am not advocating light arrows, of which I do not believe 8-9 GPP fall. But judging what is generally posted on this board pertaining to arrow weight one would be led to believe 10-12 would be minimum.
Strong sharp broadhead and good arrow flight....and practice"

Amen Brother!  In my experience, its difficult to get an aluminum arrow to fly well at 10 GPP and up, yet for decades, aluminum was the standard.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Who said that Matty ha ha?

In truth though its not about luck all the time. You have to be ready when lady luck shines on you.

My honest thought is if you really draw 30 they you are in the ball park. Might try to squeeze a few more grains out your arrow in insert or head weight.

As for broadheads? SHARP, TUNED, and cut on contact. The Magnus Stinger is the tried and true. There is also the Cutthroat from RMSGear and many others out there. Don't get wrapped up in the hype around any head in particular. There so many great ones.

I am not the foremost authority on any of this stuff but if I can be of any help to you hit me up. I love to talk about elk hunting.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
 The Magnus Stinger is the tried and true.  
Yup. I use the 150 grain ones with bleeders. Sailed through elk on 540 grain arrows.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
My current bow is a 64" 50# ACS CX that I pull to 48#. Cedar arrows weigh in at 590 gns incl 175 gn BH. Doug fir in about 50-60 gn heavier. Both work just fine. There is so much more to killing an Elk. I think David Peterson advocated for a 650 gn arrow traveling at 160 fps in his book. Orion above nailed it!

Offline dustinwittwer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
Anyone had experience with the Steel Force traditional series broadhead? I like the 3:1 ratio and the single bevel design. Just curious if there were any users out there.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
No experience with the steel force but I've been shooting quite a few Tuskers from Tim at Braveheart recently and they all are flying great.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Not sure exactly why this issue keeps coming up.  As for myself, however, I will say that I have always been concerned about ethical shots.  

Last year, I went crazy trying to find my perfect setup to hunt Africa.  My setup was almost identical to yours.  And I was able to come home with a Wildebeest, roughly the same size as an Elk.  

My research showed that all issues were marginal.  Heavier arrow had only marginal increased penetration.  Lighter arrow had only marginally less drop at  25 yards.  So, in the end, I built the arrow I liked.  BTW, I used a 150 grain, 2 blade stinger with some other weight attached to the insert inside.

Bottom line, you'll be fine with what you have.  Practice, practice, practice...  Hit what you're aiming at, and have sharp broadheads.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by dustinwittwer:
Anyone had experience with the Steel Force traditional series broadhead? I like the 3:1 ratio and the single bevel design. Just curious if there were any users out there.

Steel Force Traditional heads look like they would curl up on the tip to me, you would want to tanto the tips significantly if you went with them. I'm using the Cutthroat Broadheads this year, 200gr screw in's. They performed superbly for me deer hunting and they are the easiest head to sharpen I've come across! They all work if sharp and in the right spot!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 01:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:

Steel Force Traditional heads look like they would curl up on the tip to me, you would want to tanto the tips significantly if you went with them. I'm using the Cutthroat Broadheads this year, 200gr screw in's. They performed superbly for me deer hunting and they are the easiest head to sharpen I've come across! They all work if sharp and in the right spot! [/b]
The single bevel traditional heads have a tonto tip and are .080 thick
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 02:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Prairie Drifter:

Originally posted by old_goat2:

Steel Force Traditional heads look like they would curl up on the tip to me, you would want to tanto the tips significantly if you went with them. I'm using the Cutthroat Broadheads this year, 200gr screw in's. They performed superbly for me deer hunting and they are the easiest head to sharpen I've come across! They all work if sharp and in the right spot! [/b]
The single bevel traditional heads have a tonto tip and are .080 thick [/b]
I didn't see a single bevel listed on their web page
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©