3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail cameras and picture flash....  (Read 411 times)

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Trail cameras and picture flash....
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Does the flash of the camera spook deer?  Does it chase them away?

This is one reason I haven't had much interest in a trail camera.

I think there must be others who think like me because they make infrared cameras now.

Anyway, you guys who use them, what's been your experiences?

Thanks
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail cameras and picture flash....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I have watched many deer, bucks and does, being photographed by my trail camera and none seemed affected by the flash at all.  The only jump reaction I witnessed was a squirrell that nearly did a back-flip when the flash went off.

There was a story about the use of trail cameras in the latest issue of Ks. Wildlife & Parks magazine about their use and the animal's reactions to them.

Dennis

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Last season I took video footage of a B&C class buck (7x5) just as he walked in front of the flash of one of our trail cameras. He hardly flinched. In fact, he stood there and let the flash go off thirty-three (33) times before he moved off. This was on a scrape along the edge of an un-cut bean field in mid-October. We're going to use the footage in our next DVD production. I'm thinking if they spook they might be spooking from the noise of the camera rather than the flash. bw

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
I have seen too many pictures of the same deer on cameras over a 3 week period to believe that the flash spooks em. Like Barry said maybe the camera is noisy.  I figure it is similiar to a lightning flash., if that spooked em there would be alot of places you would never see a deer. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Thank you

I guess I don't have any reason not to get one now.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
Have taken over 250 shots with a flash and dang it - they even stick their noses on the camera sometimes when it goes off.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Just a couple weeks ago, I checked my camera and had 76 images.  There were several photos of a doe at midnight who had her pic taken. Then curiosity got the best of her as she walked right straight up to the camera as it snapped her mug once a minute for the next 8 minutes.  They must think it's lightning.
Lon Scott

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I've recently purchased a moultrie 4.0 with the flash.  I did a quick mod to mine, I taped a piece of white paper towel over the flash (inside the cover).  This reduces the flash just enough to limit the white "balls of fire" most moultrie cams show for eyes.  It takes great pics, and I too have numerous pics up close as deer are standing/drinking in my 15'x 45' pond.
No reaction at all.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Doesn't seem to bother this one.

The month is off, by the way.  SHould be 9-23 and 10-3 respectively.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I believe they relate flash to a flash of lightning, just another natural thing.
I have also been snapping photos from my treestand with deer under me, they paid no attention at all.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Yes I was amazed, zero, zippo, reaction to the flash. I surely thought they would turn inside out. But sitting and watching the camera go off on them. NOTHING but a picture. Amazing!

Brent

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
They know it's nighttime and you ain't allowed to hunt 'em, so they feel safe.  :D
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
I have a Leaf River infrared camera. I just started using it a couple of weeks ago. I just finished viewing some videos. I thought you might be interested in this one.

TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I've always thought that infrared cameras would be less likely to be stolen by thieves since they would likely never see the camera.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Benjy,
   Kinda looked like he could see it or hear it one.
Jason Lester

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Jason,
You can hold this camera in your hands and not hear a sound. Out of about 15 deer video'ed, that six point is the only one that acted that way (on 2 different 15 second clips). The rest just looked at the camera bobbed their heads and went back to feeding.
 I think NativeCraft is correct. I live in an urban area and did not want the white flash to attract any 2 legged attention.
 Marblesonac I had no idea that this 8 point is on my property, he is a very nice deer for my area and the chance to see him makes hunting more exciting.

TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
The only drawback to me is when some dirty rotten SOB steals them like happened to me sometime last week! If I could just catch up with whoever!!!!!!!!!!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
I forgot to turn my camera off the opening weekend here in Texas and had a nice 8 walk out about 15 yds in front of me and was about to draw right at dark when the flash of the game cam ran him off. I took it down so it wouldn't happen to me again.  It is hard enough to get 'em close without that happening to me.  He didn't bolt to the next county but he really didn't like that flash.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I've had thousands of pictures off of both of my cameras and always had em there at nightand doing there thing...I never once thought it would scare them until this year.

I was in stand and had my cmera on the deer trail so I would catch them walking up and down it to pattern their movement times.  well while on stand a nice little 6pt came walking by (had to shoot a doe first so I had to pass but enjoyed wathing him) well anyhoot as he walked down the trail I noticed he was walking right to my camera.  Not 2 seconds later he walked right in front of it and bam the camera took a picture and he BOLTED!!!  He jumped back about 15 feet...ran about 30 yards back and circled me at around 50 yards to the right and totaly avoided the rest of the trail until he regained it about 75 yards later down the trail.

well after see'ing that the camera was taken from the woods!!!!!

My theory...if there is bait in front of it they are more tolerant of things but if you plan on working a trail or using it with no bait I'd suggest covering the flash with red plastic paper to minimize the flash yet still be able to get quality pictures.

With bait though I've seen them in stand pretty much pose for the camera day and night and not care much at all but without bait they spook everytime!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©