3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: haversacks ?  (Read 677 times)

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
haversacks ?
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I am trying to find an easier way to carry in my hunting gear with a treestand and climbing sticks on my back for hunting public ground.  I am looking at the fred asbell haversacks and wondered what you fellas thoughts were on them. For the price they look like a solid piece of equipment which I have come to expect from Mr. Asbell. Thanks!

Gabe

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: haversacks ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
I don't have experience with the asbell but I do carry a haversack.  I love it for keeping my larger items in.  The only downside is that it can get cluttered without an organization system.  I like to put my lunch on the bottom with a bottle of water and then anything I need to set up my spot.  Bow hook, scent bottles, rope, even a small camo net.  Anything that I need to keep handy and accessible I keep in small pouches on a belt.  You could always sew small pockets on the front for knick knacks and things that you might need to get to silently and quickly.  My haversack was carried by my grandpa in WW2 so I have not altered it.  Overall they are a very handy and classic carrying system.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Nantahala Nut, that is exactly what I am looking to carry.  It seems to be a pretty slick way to carry all the necessities and not be in the way.

SELFBOW19953, Thanks for the link man! My wife got a sewing machine last christmas and it looks like we can put it to use.

Gabe

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
I have the Asbell haversack and really like it. She has dividers sewn in it to help keep things organized.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
I dont know if it would be big enough for what you'd need to carry, but I've been using one of Duluth Packs double shell bags for quite a few years now. They're made to carry shotgun shells, but I've never use it for that. They're made out of canvas, with an adjustable leather shoulder strap. It has one main compartment, with two outside pockets on the front. The cover has two leather straps with roller buckles to keep it shut. I got mine in olive drab, but they come in different colors. I was surprised at how much they actually hold for their size. I carry an extra pair of gloves in a ziplock bag, something to eat and drink, a whetstone, hand warmers, compass, a small flashlight, an extra string, toilet paper, and more in mine. It's so handy, I'd hate to be without it. They're very well made too.

They make actual haversacks too, now that I think about it, but i went with the shell bag, because It's a little smaller, and holds what I need it to.

Bob

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
I also seen bison gear makes a pretty nice looking haversack. Hmmm so many choices  :)

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
I bought a wool army surplus blanket and it is very useful.  I made a quiver for my field tip arrows and I am gonna make a new haversack next.  I am gonna try to put two small pockets inside and two outside. If you are near a surplus shop you can pick one up for around $20.  I have seen a lot of people use surplus gas mask bags and those are dirt cheap.  The Asbell would definitely be a quality product.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
I Like The Vintage Military Shoulder Bags. Pretty cheap at sportsman's guide.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
They also have several haversacks on the auction coming up!
Conny

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
Well I will definitely hold off buying or making one then. I would love to be the winning bidder on one for the St. Judes auction!

Gabe

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Gabe,

When I made mine, I put a divider in with 2 pockets and big pockets front and back.

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
ASBELL stuff is very good. I use a Bison Gear Haversack and it's tailored a little nicer than ASBELL, but then again you're talking more money for Bison Gear. Can't go wrong with either. I pack in my lone wolf stand/tree steps or my Waldrop Packseat on my back and can have my Haversack at my side still or attach to the seat or stand.  I used to use a Bison Gear Lost River pack, but for my hunting, a Haversack is much better size and hauls everything I need.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Nantahala Nut, your grandpa's WW2 musette bag is off the wall cool with provenance to boot. Was he an officer? Seems they were carried mostly by officers for maps and paperwork. I carry one dated 1941 in ink with the G.I.s name. If you think an item that served in WW2 as having major mojo than these are it. Here's mine.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
I love the haversack, It is small enough that I dont take too much crap with me to the woods but big enough to carry everything I need for a w hole day sit.

Just gave this one to my Dad as an early Fathers day gift.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
My buddy sewed a shoe string on the top of the flap and ties a rain or wool jacket to carry.

His bow, a lone wolf hand  climber and his haversack.  A light, mobile lethal machine.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
I've been using an Asbell haversack for the past couple of years and love it.  I added a couple of short loop straps with quick release buckles and use those to secure a jacket or vest on the hike in.  I didn't sew them on - just clip them around the main shoulder strap.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
I use the Asbell haversacks, I have since Teresa sent me a prototype to try out. She has slightly tweaked and developed the haversack over the years....adding antler buttons, dividers, and having large and small sizes.

There are lots of ways to carry your gear....but it amazes me the design and quality of the Asbell Haversack.....all coupled with a super low price. I'm honestly not sure how Teresa makes money on them. The wool is American made, and they are sewn by Teresa right here in Michigan. At the price point....even if you also use something else....there is room in your gear kit for the Asbell Haversack.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks alot for all the responses. I got a very generous offer from a fellow tradganger who is sending me a army surplus haversack to try out. I have never even held one so I am looking forward to using it. I still very much plan on bidding on the couple in the st jude's auction coming up. Thanks again everyone!
Gabe

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
That was nice of whoever it is that's sending you one.   :thumbsup:  I wouldn't be surprised if you never want to hit the woods without one again. When I first started carrying one, my friends busted my chops bad. They called it my purse. That stopped the first time I pulled out a dry pair of gloves, a sandwich, and a soda though.  :D  

Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©