3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How sharp is sharp enough?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
How sharp is sharp enough?
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
With so much talk about "shaving sharp" and "scary sharp", how do we tell what is sharp enough?

For instance, I just bought a new pack of Magnus Buzzcuts. Straight out of the package I'm sure they've killed thousands of deer with no problem -  but they won't shave hair.

Just how do you tell when your broadheads are sharp enough to make you comfortable taking them into the woods?
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How sharp is sharp enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
I spoke with Dave Oligee of Simmons Broadheads a few weeks ago before a turkey hunt.  I told him that I was not getting the broadheads "shaving sharp" and wanted to know what he used to get his sharp.  His response kind of shocked me.  He said, "Dan, why would you want them razor sharp?  I only ever get mine burr sharp".  He then went on to explain that he only uses a small file and gets a good burr and then he takes them hunting.  

Take that for what it's worth.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
I think shaving sharp is about as sharp as most of us can measure, anyway. What's the first test we use when we work an edge? Yep, we drag it across our forearm to see if it cuts hair. In fact, I don't really know any other quick test to perform. I do want mine razor sharp, because I feel it may help with penetration, but I can offer no real proof. Yet, in broadhead sharpness, there is no such ting as too much cutting efficiency.
Sam

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
I spoke with Dave Oligee of Simmons Broadheads a few weeks ago before a turkey hunt.  I told him that I was not getting the broadheads "shaving sharp" and wanted to know what he used to get his sharp.  His response kind of shocked me.  He said, "Dan, why would you want them razor sharp?  I only ever get mine burr sharp".  He then went on to explain that he only uses a small file and gets a good burr and then he takes them hunting.  

Take that for what it's worth.
interesting    :dunno:

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Im with the simmons guy, i get them as sharp as i can with a file and stone, run my thumb down it, and if i can see it cutting my skin without much effort i go hunting. Unconventional, but works for me.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
I think that is a little like asking "how accurate is accurate enough?"

I would think the answer is as good as you can get in either case.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:

I would think the answer is as good as you can get in either case.
Well, I sort of agree. With regards to accuracy, maybe you only keep hunting shots to 5 yards or less if you're not completely comfortable. Or maybe 10 yards or less.

It wouldn't be wise to pull out a Bear Razorhead that really needs some work, and take it out hunting without properly restoring the edge first. As good as you can get may not be good enough to properly bring down game in that case.

I was always under the impression that if it wasn't shaving hair it's not sharp enough.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Take this for what it is worth.  I am not aware of anyone, for certain myself, that has not killed or recovered an animal based on broadhead sharpness.  That doesn't mean that I don't try to get my broadheads sharp, or that my arms aren't frequently bald from testing them, but if they feel sharp to the touch, I think that is good enough.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
When they shave dry hair with the flow, not against-I'm done-why not?

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
A dull broad head in a perfect shot in the heart or lungs will kill, a sharp broadhead in a not so perfect shot can still kill. A dull head in a not so perfect shot usually won't kill. IMHO
Therefore I get mine as sharp as I can!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
When I can shave hair off my arm without applying too much pressure, I'm good to go.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
This is why I like a broadhead that will pop hair with ease off my arm...45 yards recovery

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
My opinion. . . .  shaving sharp is the goal, but if you can't quite achieve that, that's OK.  Get them as sharp as you can.  Any fairly sharp object going 160+ FPS thru any meat is gonna cut the hell out of it.  You get paper cuts from paper that isn't sharpened, going a lot less swiftly.

If you achieve shaving sharp by using an extreme bevel. you vastly weaken the edge, and some metal won't deal with it.

ChuckC

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
I get my Grizzlies quite sharp, however they do not quite shave my arm. No problems with lethality or blood trails.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
They have to shave before I'll take them to the woods!

Bisch

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
When I go for a shaving sharp edge, I want it to shave cleanly and easily with no drag. However, using a Grizzly file, they have a single tooth sharp file teeth edge with a rounded narrow side, they can be used to get a file/steel edge or a file/serration edge. Both seem to work about as well as shaving sharp for me, but with the Hill broadhead directions, there is a difference between merely rough versus keen, if in doubt with those go to the Tom Mussatto method.  With the old Grizzlies one can serrate them as well, but the serration should be pulled from the filed side back to front or from the flat side front to back to get the serration angling forward to get the most immediate blood.  I do that as well with my single bevel Hills. Recently I have found that the old tan Bears seem to have a more durable edge with a filed edge than with a honed edge, I am guessing the reason is that it is a softer metal.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
My dad goes by the method that if the edge will catch and dig into your finger nail they are sharp enough. Is this necessarily shaving sharp, no.  He has killed more things than I can count with a bow so I find no need to argue with him and his theory. I on the other hand will get my broadheads to shave the hair on my arm before I will shoot them at anything. Why, because I enjoy sharpening my heads and enjoy getting them as sharp as I can, same goes for my knives.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
They have to shave hair.   And they have to shave hair because they may get a little dulled simply by carrying them around and moving them in and out of the quiver.  I swear that if you get a broadhead razor sharp and leave it exposed to open air for a couple weeks,  its not the same as when it came off the stone.  If I get them to shave,  and then they get bumped/moved/vibrated or whatever just enough so they don't quiet shave the exact way like fresh off the stone,   I know they are still sharp enough.  Like an aim small miss small sort of thinking.........
Am I insane?   Its worked for me so far   :thumbsup:

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
If it snaps a rubber band easy it's sharp enough for me.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©