3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any one using Monotech broad heads  (Read 388 times)

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
any one using Monotech broad heads
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Just got done reading a recent thread on here about broadhead sharpness.  I have been using monotechs for years and they work great when you put them where your supposed to.  I have struggled getting a shaving sharp edge on them, and was wondering if any one using them had any advice on sharpening them.  Thanks in advance for any help.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: any one using Monotech broad heads
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Pretty sure you mean montecs? I have killed some animals with them, but they are difficult to sharpen and get to stay sharp.  Rather small cutting diameter as well.  Truly one of the last broadheads that I would choose to use, but they can work if you put them in the right place, but then again the same can be said for a field point.  I have tried using the typical methods of sharpening 3 blade heads (dragging backwards using progressively less coarse stones or diamond sharpeners, file and crock sticks, etc..)  I wish you luck, but virtually every other 3 blade that I have tried has been better.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
I've used them too but they seem impossible to sharpen. My friend even bought the G5 sharpener for them and couldn't get them sharp. There are much better 3 blades out there that are easy to sharpen.

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Good info. This was a broadhead I seriously considered before picking up VPA heads

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Killed my first deer with them when I shot wheels.

I found that to get them sharp:

1) "Paint" the edges with a Sharpie marker

2) Use the largest Mill-Bastard file you can find, and lay the broadhead on in "flat"

3) Use mild downward presssure and move the broadhead tip first along the file. Check after each stroke, stop when the Sharpie is removed.

4) Rotate the head 120* repeat step 3.

5) Rotate the head 120* repeat step 3. You should now have all three blades perfectly flat.

6) I then move to progressively finer stones and keep polishing the edge. With each finer grit you use less pressure.

Hope that helps.

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
I use G5 Montec exclusively. I love them..  I have several that I have put through multiple animals and can still shave my arm with.  They do take some time to sharpen, so I do the flat on the file method as mentioned above,  and then go strait to a course/fine diamond "stone". I start just swirling it around flat on the course side for about a minute on each side. I flip the "stone" and do flat push strokes toward the tip. gradually reducing pressure. I keep track of strokes and do the same on each of the three "flat" surfaces.  Hope that helps!

Here are some videos I based my technique on.

This last video fast forward to about two minutes.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Not wanting to be too critical, but I just wonder if you have tried any other traditional type 3-blades, Msturm?  I watched the videos and it seems like pretty standard stuff.  I have found the material and temper on other 3 blades, such as vpa, magnus ss snuffers(not sure if they make them any more) and others to be much better, IMHO.  Usually a better profile for lower energy trad setups as well, although not always. Now, the profile of a montec is pretty forgiving if you don't have  a well tuned setup and forgiving for differences in release, which can be a nice thing to have sometimes.   Everyone has their own experiences though.  Mine have not been favorable with the montec, but I am glad that you have found something that you like.  Sounds like you are killing deer with them with your trad setup, so you must be satisfied.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
I have tried a couple other types including VPAs and Woodsmans. I have nothing negative to say about them. They sharpen using the same system a little faster. I seem to keep an edge on my Montecs after more target shots and they fly really well for me. It may be that my tuning was off for the others.( I am still fairly new to trad shooting)  I Hunt pigs and goats in hawaii so my experience with deer is none.   The key factors in my decision to shoot montecs is they fly really well for me, stay sharp and they are available just down the road.   Thanks for the inquiry pdk25!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Just dont see any point to shooting a Montec when you could just shoot a Magnus Stinger with bleeders or a Snuffer.  I tried Montecs and quicky sold them.  The stainless construction is nice idea but that steel has too much hardness and sharpening takes too long, sure they stay sharp longer but you can sharpen a carbon steel blade in half the time. Dont really like the idea of 60 degree edges either.  Funny, Stingers are stainless too but soo much easier to get stupid sharp and blades are replaceable anyway.  Snuffers are carbon steel and have a better length to width ratio than a Montec so thats a potential advantage too.

Seriously, try some Magnus Stingers or Buzzcuts with bleeders, they rock.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Well. I am glad that they are working for you, and hope that they continue to.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice every body,  I am using montechs because that is what I used to shoot with my compound and still have some.  I have heard a lot of good things about the woodsman and magnus 2 blades and will probably switch to something else once my montech supply is gone.  I sharpen them the same way mentioned above, but can't ever seem to get them "razor" sharp.  thanks again
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©