3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Takedown longbows  (Read 460 times)

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
Takedown longbows
« on: May 10, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
Why are takedown longbows sooo expensive!! Any suggestions on an affordable one in the $350-$500 range

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Takedown longbows
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
I imagine you could turn out two or three one piece longbows in the time it takes to build a take down.  Keep your eye on the classifieds.  May find something pop up eventually.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
A two piece bow is not something to jump in to if you are a bowyer. There are many pitfalls that can occur so experience is an important thing.

you will find that very few experienced bowyers with a one piece at or below 450 although I suppose there are some.

The extra materials for a two piece can be as high as $100 before installation(depending on system), let alone the price of the bow.

As V I Archer mentioned, you can find what you seek in used.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Hey bigjim you should make some for the common man

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
I don't know what Big Jim's base price is for his take down longbow,but you will not be disappointed if you decide to go that route. I have one now,and I'm on the list for another.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Big Jims takedowns are the way to go as far as the system he uses. If people are not happy with the price it is because they have no comprehension of what it takes to make one and make it right. With the Lockit socket system BJ uses you cannot even tell it is a two piece bow. They are solid, look like and shoot like a one piece bow. I have used it for some time and although time consuming to make and somewhat difficult it is pretty much fool proof and dependable when done correctly.
If a person gets what they pay for , and with a lot of bowyers they get more than what they pay for, then to ask them to build it cheaper seems almost insulting although I am sure its not meant that way. Its like saying give it to me free. Do it for your costs.
Bowyers should be able to make enough to justify their occupation. That is about all most of us do make and it is a labor of love , not wealth.

God bless, Steve

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
barewithme, I wish I could make my bows for less without sacrificing things....either the quality of my bows or the quality of my life.
How would you feel if your employer asked you to take a pay cut?

I would say that I am a common man and I have many customers that would call them selves the same.
Most everything is obtainable if you want it bad enough.
thanks, bigjim

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
No disrespect was meant to be given, and I didn't think about it like that. I will be saving up to purchase one of your bows, they are very beautiful, I can live with the extra bucks spent on a high quality product

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
Check out our take down longbows on our website:
legendsbows.com or our Facebook page.  Our prices for a longbow range from $600-700 but it is a well worth investment.  Our bows are as custom as you can get. You get to pick out the woods as well as what kind of grip you would like. We also offer a bunch of other options to make your bow that much more custom!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
I think the question being raised is one that I've asked myself many times.  Why are there so many factory t/d recurves under $400 but there aren't any 3 piece longbows available unless you go the custom route.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
I think the question being raised is one that I've asked myself many times.  Why are there so many factory t/d recurves under $400 but there aren't any 3 piece longbows available unless you go the custom route.
My opinion would be the market created by Mr Fred Bear long ago. If you talk to 10 new traditional archers 4 might know who Howard Hill is but I will almost guarantee 10 know who Fred Bear is what he shot.

Cory

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
That is a good point

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
I sat down and thought what do I want in a bow. I want a reflex deflex that has a short length so it can be easily maneuverable without finger pinch, appealing to the eyes, and possibly the most important which is a takedown and that is the thunderchild by Bigjim

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
A used Mohawk may be a worthy consideration.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
One reason to follow the classifieds on here on TG .. I just sold a 3pc LB and recurve limbs to fit the same riser for $225 … it was a vintage Bill Stewart Multi Cam design … yew limbs on both the LB and recurve limbs … both set ups shot great and someone got a real good deal ….

I have had a TC by Big Jim and you will love it, really fine bows.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
Its been said a few times but I want to reiterate, with the current market, you should have no issues finding what you want in the used market. I have seen several takedown longbows sell for about 600 in the past month.

The added cost for one new is because they are more expensive and time consuming to make. There are ways to reduce costs but you cannot eliminate the extra time and materials to build one over a one piece.

I see you have sold yourself on a new bow from Big Jim.  Good Choice.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong when I say that going used can be a great option. I love building new bows for excited customers...really helps me to understand how good I have it in life. However, the used market helps to add value to the new market.

Used bows that sell well with good returns help lend value and credibility to new bows.

BigJim

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
BigJim is correct...there is a plethora of very nice and slightly use bows on the classifieds here and other sites...including RMS Gear.  In 25 years of shooting traditional bows...I have only bought one three bows that were made for me specifically...with the others being off-the shelf bows they kept around or carried to shows...or used bows bought here or the other forums.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Check out ZBowsticks. They have a website, zbowsticks.com. I've never shot one of their bows but have heard great things - their 3 piece takedown runs at $575 brand new. Another is an Omega Longbow - brand new they're $415 and I know of a few guys who swear by all of their bows. Those seem to be the best bang for your buck.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©