3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TUNING  (Read 323 times)

Offline DanMe

• Trad Bowhunter
TUNING
« on: May 10, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Tuning is to make a shot "accurate"
But accuracy is even more on human flaws

So the question is
During the tuning how one can know the miss is due to human flaw or mis-tuned bow... The miss can be significant
Are we any smarter than animals? They are surviving much easier and better than human. Pay them respect they deserve.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TUNING
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
In my opinion, tuning is doing those things that make my bow and my arrows work well together. Assuming a certain degree of consistency in my grip, release, etc. there is automatically built in to the equation consideration of my flaws. In short, the equipment is also tuned to my flaws.  This may mean that another archer might not get great performance out of equipment that flies true for me.
Sam

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
I use the six pack method. I shoot six arrows and tune from where the majority of them hit.

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Interesting topic. Went outside to papertest a new set of arrows the other day. Got a little down when the first arrow ripped a 2" tear through the paper. The next one just the same... The third made a nice little bullet hole, and then I focused a little harder on my release. Result: three more bullet holes. So I agree with Dan here, if the archer is  out of tune it doesn't matter if the arrows are perfect.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
The degree of inaccuracy is equal to the sum of human and equipment errors. So reducing either one helps. Tune as best you can until you learn good form.  An arrow chart is better than nothing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
Tune to the majority of your hits. If 4 are showing one thing and a fifth something different then assume the oddball was your mistake and press on.
SWA Spyder

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
You're absolutely correct Dan.  Until you can shoot with good consistent form and accuracy  your "tuning" will always be suspect.

It is likely why so many seem to have difficulty with the tuning process.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©