3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Penetration  (Read 627 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Penetration
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
196 with 636?  Sounds like you've got cake and are eating it too.  I've been singing the Chinook praises for years, but I think they perform better with a heavier arrow then 9-10 gpp.  Not to disagree with Dan, but that's been my experience with the dozen or so I've owned.

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
196 with 636?  Sounds like you've got cake and are eating it too.  I've been singing the Chinook praises for years, but I think they perform better with a heavier arrow then 9-10 gpp.  Not to disagree with Dan, but that's been my experience with the dozen or so I've owned. [/QUOTE

Can't even tell you how excited I am about this bow. Shoots so naturally too. I'm a 6'2" 200lb bearded man that feels like a giddy little child.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
How straight the arrow is flying at impact has more influence on penatration than any other factor.

The bow is better tuned to the lighter arrow than the heavier arrow.  

Speed and momentum counteract each other depending the individual setups, though the heavier arrow (all thing being equal) usually has better penatration.  Most often straight arrow flight overides both of these factors.  Use a little bigger fletching and you will often be amazed ąt the difference in penatration, even though it usually costs you 1-3 feet per second in arrow speed.

Unfortunately, much too often one sees reality/results being over ridden by theory.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
What Walt said.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Ditto

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »
So visually speaking the heavy arrow straightens out much quicker, to me seems 5 yards out of the bow, flys like a dart whereas the lighter arrow takes about 15 yards to straighten out.

Interesting thing also, bare shafting... Lighter arrow shows very slightly underspined and heavy arrow very slightly overspined. I couldn't seem to get them absolutely perfect. I have some ideas to pull them in a bit better.

But Walt, what your saying makes sense, the bow being more tuned to the lighter arrow. I've got 3 of each arrow so I'll be messing with them over the next couple weeks.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 01:45:00 AM »
Field point diamètre can change results: using a 21/64 diam heavy /longer field point will slow down the arrow faster than 9/32 shorter one. Are you using the same field point on both arrow?
Now if you want to see heavy arrow/FOC advantage over the light one put 1/2" plywood in front of the foam and check target penetration again.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »
Both same exact 200 grain point. both really high FOC, I'll measure it tomorrow.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 02:04:00 AM »
Good idea on plywood. That sounds fun haha and maybe expensive
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
Here are some calculations for those two arrows:

533 gr @ 207 fps has a Momentum of .489 and a Kinetic Energy of 50.662

636 gr @ 196 has a Momentum of .553 and a KE of 54.198

Momentum is a better indicator of how an arrow will perform given the same variables.  In this case, the heavier arrow has an advantage numbers-wise in both momentum and kinetic energy.

A foam target is a poor indicator of how a broadhead will perform on an actual live animal. At any rate, like the others said, getting perfect arrow flight, having a razor sharp broadhead, and being able to put it in the right spot are the absolute most important things. Either of those setups will take game cleanly, but personally, I'd opt for the heavier one. There is no doubt that it will perform better in the event you need more penetration.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Both will blow thru a deer. You would be cutting hairs trying to decide which one may or may not be better. I would shoot what ever makes you happy.
T ZZZZ

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Hey Bladepeek.  The older I get the less I worry about penetration altogether. Getting another 1.5 to 2 in. in my chosen medium would be good as well as winning the lottery. Ain't gonna happen.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:

Unfortunately, much too often one sees reality/results being over ridden by theory.
Definitely true....this thread has more than one quacky statement in it that is just false. Ashby did some good work, but for deer, elk and just about anything else in NA it isn't necessary to use those arrow set ups. I'll take a more balanced arrow with a better trajectory and still punch through anything I hunt.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Jarrod, your heavy arrow tunes slightly stiff so adding feathers will make it a little stiffer, while with the lighter arrow tunes slight weak and the feathers stiffen it closer to perfect, SO the original assumption tuning was the reason sounds correct. Either way those arrows are clicking along nicely with great mass.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
highlow, I hear you. Ain't getting old a bear   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Thise are some pretty high speeds. What is the poundage a d draw weight? Big Toelke fan here...just curious.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
Hey Jerrod, what kind of draw weight and draw length are we talking about here... just curious about you GPP.

That sounds like a kick ass set up to me regardless of which arrow you use....Both those arrows are going to be shooting a real flat trajectory.

But.... i think you'll find the heavier shaft is more forgiving to a less than perfect release, and it will definitely shoot quieter.... There's a trad off there...

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Has there ever been a test with a heavy versus a lighter arrow for speed variances comparing a hard release to a shorter softer release?  I heard Byron Ferguson say something about hunters, including himself, can have a shorter or softer release when hunting and that is why he used a shorter bow at times for hunting.  I can imagine that taking the arrow into consideration for that could help.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
How straight the arrow is flying at impact has more influence on penatration than any other factor.

The bow is better tuned to the lighter arrow than the heavier arrow.  

Speed and momentum counteract each other depending the individual setups, though the heavier arrow (all thing being equal) usually has better penatration.  Most often straight arrow flight overides both of these factors.  Use a little bigger fletching and you will often be amazed ąt the difference in penatration, even though it usually costs you 1-3 feet per second in arrow speed.

Lots of good posts here.
I love the math/physics of all this.
..but..what Walt is saying is the truth at the end of this rainbow.

..If both arrows were tuned the same( since the shafts are the same dia)..the heavier would have penetrated farther..period.

It's obvious the lighter one is flying straighter.
....or just maybe the chrono was off.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©