3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Hunt In 8 Years  (Read 584 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best Hunt In 8 Years
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Had my best hunt in 8 years, the Wed. before our local Turkey season closer (also my worst - LOL). Had seen a couple turkeys the day before while scouting. Figured out a logical place and a setup and went out that evening and set up my "hammock seat" on a tree surrounded by bushes, and my camo umbrella in front of it - all ready for decoy placement in the AM. Out, dark and early Wed., set decoys in the dark, and got situated in my "chair". Set there for 4 hrs (in case of an early show). and figured they should show within the next hour and a half, if they followed yesterday's routine. So, I got out of my chair, after taking the arrow off my Anneewakee Addiction bow, leaning her safely against the tree, to answer nature's call and stretch my legs a little before "curtain time". I walked around the tree & surrounding bushes and prepared to relieve my aching bladder. I caught movement about 20 yards to my left. It was the two turks, trotting down the hill, headed to diagonally cross in front of my stand, right towards my dekes. At the same time, they saw me (of course) and launched off the hill in their next step, without even breaking stride, quickly gaining speed and height,flying over the brushy/sandy area and into the swampy, tall-tree area beyond. I said a few choice words as they disappeared - at MYSELF, and then thanked the good Lord for letting my plan work out as I had hoped for - right up until I BLEW IT! - LOL I hate the person that stole my pop-up blind this past year, even more now - I could have stayed in the blind and used my bottle - LOL Well, what can I expect, I'm only 80, and still learning - slowly.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Hunt In 8 Years
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Sounds like a great morning to me!  "Only 80", you have a lot of hunts left!  You'll get one next time!     :thumbsup:

Bernie (another Bernie)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
LOL - Thank you Bernie B. - good Lord willing, I'll be out there trying.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Glad you got out and had some action just the same Bernie.

One of the best turkey calls is having to answer mother natures. Getting out something to eat works good too. A sandwich in one hand and a drink in the other will bring them right in, lol. And it seems to work equally well with the deer.

Sorry to hear that somebody stole your blind. It seems that respect for others is becoming a thing of the past.

Bob

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
I've noticed that same phenomonun, Bob - snack or nature's call really does work well on Turkeys and Deer, it seems  :D   Your also right on track with thieves and their lack of respect for other folks' belongings -    :(

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I hope I can still get out there at 80 years old. It does seem to always happen as nature calls or like you said while eating something.  

When I use to hunt ducks I would just get one bite out of a sandwich and here comes the ducks. Course my lab appreciated it he taught himself to look for sandwiches every time you started to blow on the duck call. One chomp and no more sandwich.
PBS  Member

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
If I had a dollar for every time I screwed up on an animal, I'd probably be rich by now. That's what makes us smarter, I think. Sounds like your plan worked like a charm up until that moment. You do know that if you'd have waited or just wet your pants, they probably wouldn't have come in at all:). Have fun and good luck.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
Ive been caught with the pants down before too... and managed to get a doe.  Those screw ups are some of the best memories that stick in my mind.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Hang in there, better luck next time. Hey when you gotta you gotta go. A real shame someone stole your blind.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Nice one Bernie.  I guess the days of standing in formation, at attention, for hours at a time holding your bladder are over   ;)  

Tom

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
It's obvious we all have "these moments" - LOL It's better than no excitement at all though. Tom, you sure got THAT right - ain't happening these days -   :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I find that having a coffee cup in one hand and thermos in the other is a magnet for whatever I am hunting or fishing for. Hopefully year 81 will be your year.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Bernie demonstrated the oldest trick in the book..the pants down fake-out. Like most of us, got faked out. That's why they call it hunting.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
Absolutely!   :archer:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
It sounds like you both won and lost that battle.

Cool hunt Bern.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
Bernie,   I am gonna make a guess that the turkeys don't care about the smell of pee in your blind area.   Stay in your blind and wet the bushes from there.
ChuckC

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Ha! ChuckC got it right!    :readit:    

Congrats on the hunt and the bird. I'm still jinxed by them... after chasing them exclusively with trad equipment for the last 5 years! I took bunches of them with the shotgun before that... but to me, they don't even count.

:thumbsup:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
It happens to us all Brother. Keep after them and thanks for being a pioneer for us.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks again guys. I know ChuckC is right and I don't want to go to deep into the personal end of this (LOL) but I don't have that kind of "stream" anymore, after my bad urinary tract infection a couple of years back (some of you will remember it occurred during that year's St Jude Auction - LOL)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Best laid plans.  I see a new hunting gadget.  The ankle strap bladder bag.  No need to move, and during winter one ankle would stay warm.  Keep after them!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©