3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help recreating some strings?  (Read 170 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Help recreating some strings?
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
After the stroke I can't use my left hand much at all.  I can grip a bow, but the dexterity is gone for now.  Problem is, I can't make any new strings like this, and I need two.  I have a horn bow and a warbow I can still mostly pull, but there's an issue.

Issue is, they use historical warbow type strings.

Mine were endless loop B50, thicker than quite necessary, with full serving and tie on loops.  The smaller bow could be regular loops though, it's got small enough tips.  I can spin the main string, but I can't serve one handed.  I tried, and got slapped by a string unmaking itself.  The horn bow is too precious to lose that way, and the other bow is capable of more force.

I use historical strings for two reasons. One is accuracy, as in historical accuracy, as I'm trying to help keep a tradition alive.  The other is my damaged right hand.  I can seat an arrow easier and hold the string easier with it larger.  A second serving in the normal position would help immensely.  But all my arrows are cut for large strings and I can't make them any more.

I'll be glad to provide lengths if someone is willing to help, and I will pay, of course.  But I know I'm a completely different demographic, unable to use FF because it will destroy my hornbow and using heavier strings instead of skinny ones.  I'm just looking to get back out shooting and while my hickory bow has a string it's a skinny Flemish twist and the nocks just fall off it.  It's just completely inappropriate to the bow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help recreating some strings?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Doesn't sound too complicated, although I don't know what a tie-on loop is.  I make endless as well as Flemish.  I use B-55 rather than B-50 though.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »

That's basically the process I used to make my strings, as the heavier bow has string bridges, and the knot helps it survive slamming into the bridge constantly.

My horn bow is almost identical, but I use regular loops on the string because it doesn't have bridges but has very narrow nocks.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
That was an interesting video Ed, thanks.  That's quite a process - does that knot have a name?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
In Korean, yes, as does the corresponding Turkish/Chinese knot I use, but I only know the Chinese and Manchu names-xián shídā and kuyerhen, respectively.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
I watched the video...sorry, I have to pass.  It looks interesting and I'm sure I could do it, but I don't have the time to figure it out.  I have a ton of orders to fill, the Jerry Pierce to help put on this weekend, 3 events to set up at next month...and the fish are biting if I ever get a chance to wet a hook.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©