3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes you quite?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
What makes you quite?
« on: May 12, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Practicing that is....

Tonight I was out back and having one of those days, you know, the days where everything comes together. Hitting 1-1/2" to 3" 3 arrow groups at 22 yards, hitting everything just a great night....

Well I kept shooting and kept shooting I was havin a blast, I could feel my self tiering out but kept pushing it. After 60 or so arrows in a small window my groups started to grow, I pushed on and they grew more. Next I found my self saying "ok, next great groupe I'll call it a night" I'd get a good group and say ok next one I'll really stop lol finally my form feel apart and my shoulders where tired I shot one last dead deer group (6" pie plate) and went inside.

SOOO how do you get your self to stop when your having such a good time?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes you quite?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
My wife usually tells me when to come inside.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
I'll feel myself getting tired and groups start growing, but if posible I try to quit after a good group.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Had the EXACT SAME QUESTION to myself today. I've shot for hours today. Just can't seem to quit.

Shot for an hour, then came in and watched Masters of the Barebow volume one. Got some ideas, went out and shot another hour.

Came in and watched Volume II of Rick Welch's instruction... went back out and shot some more.

Totally destroyed my block target today!!

Sorry... I can't help you.   :knothead:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
If I get to that point, I shoot one arrow at a time. next good or perfect arrow and I call it quits.

Tired shooting results in damage to form.

a few weeks back, we were at a shoot and the last shot was a long one. I wanted to empty my quiver but the first shot was perfect.

even after we arrived back at the club house, I wanted to keep shooting at the practice range but knew better.  

end on a good note.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
I used to have a hard time quitting once I got started too, especially when I was shooting well. Now I shoot a few arrows, and quit when my rotator cuffs tell me to.

Most of the time I shoot one arrow several times a day, in between doing other things. If I push it, I end up not being able to shoot for a while. I'd rather shoot more arrows most times, but some are better than a bunch today, then none for 2 weeks.

Glad your having fun and shooting so well.

Bob

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm with Charlie on this one.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by PaulDeadringer29:
My wife usually tells me when to come inside.
PERFECT!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
i have seen it written that 1 arrow a day is better than 100 arrows in 1 day.
 i tried for awhile to do the 1 arrow a day thing,before work.
 i did pretty well with it, i'd usually shoot an arrow in the evening after work too.
 now i practice when i can, sometimes i'll go months without shooting. either way i usually shoot 20-30 arrows when i get the chance, if i'm shooting well, maybe launch a few more. shooting poorly, i'll quit and come back later.
 i guess the point is, dont push yourself, its usually the first shot that counts anyways. good luck
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline liv'nonaprayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
I was going to say"duct tape",then I realized you misspelled quit.What causes me to quit is sore muscles and shotgun groups.I too like to end my time with a tight group! Bill.
2 cor.5:17

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
i have seen it written that 1 arrow a day is better than 100 arrows in 1 day.
 i tried for awhile to do the 1 arrow a day thing,before work.
 i did pretty well with it, i'd usually shoot an arrow in the evening after work too.
 now i practice when i can, sometimes i'll go months without shooting. either way i usually shoot 20-30 arrows when i get the chance, if i'm shooting well, maybe launch a few more. shooting poorly, i'll quit and come back later.
 i guess the point is, dont push yourself, its usually the first shot that counts anyways. good luck
There's no way on Gods green earth! Shooting arrows is like eating Doritos. Or French Fries.... You CANT EAT JUST 1!!!
I don't know what makes me quit. Can't help with this one

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
No matter the sport or physical activity, when you tell yourself,"Just one more *****", stop then. I take my fingers off and stick them in my back pocket before I pull the last group out of the target, just to remind myself to stick to some sort of discipline. Some days are magic, some are tragic, but I look forward to shooting every morning.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
I like to shoot three shot groups. Like some of you I don't know when to stop. When my groups grow I can't stop till I have three tight ones. It can be frustrating but I love it.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
Just seen a couple videos on youtube... one was an interview with Byron Ferguson, where he said he shoots between 400 and 500 arrows a day.

The other video was on Brady Ellison (sp?), USAs best Olympic archer... he "practices" 4-5 hours a day!! Not sure how many shots he takes in that time... but surely more than one a day!

I'm on meds for acute sinusitis... steroids and antibiotics along with flownase. They are keeping me awake and making me jittery... may be why I couldn't stop shooting yesterday. Was awake until 4:15am and then just got up and went turkey hunting.

I do love to shoot though. fnshtr = fun shooter.
WVBA Member

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
When its too dark.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
I shoot till I get tired
When I do I can tellit, as I start doing stupid stuff.
I then pull it together for one "good" called shot
When I acheive that I am done
Slickhead

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by KYArcher:
I'll feel myself getting tired and groups start growing, but if posible I try to quit after a good group.
Same here.
SWA Spyder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Like Kyarcher, I stop when I feel tired but do try to end up with a good shot.
Sam

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
I can't stop either. I'm glad to see that there is more than a few. Maybe we should start a support group? Could you imagine, we'd all be shooting until we couldn't shoot anymore. Probably wouldn't be helpful but it'd be fun trying.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by bear bowman:
I can't stop either. I'm glad to see that there is more than a few. Maybe we should start a support group? Could you imagine, we'd all be shooting until we couldn't shoot anymore. Probably wouldn't be helpful but it'd be fun trying.
I'll vote for you as president!!!   :D  

I am learning to slow down a little. Did some shooting today and videoed myself. Picked up on a high draw arm elbow... probably picked up the bad habit from shooting too much and getting tired. Could not feel it at all... but it was evident on the video. My groups immediately tightened up.

I guess we got to know when to call it quits!
WVBA Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©