3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why I love Traditional archery  (Read 533 times)

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
Why I love Traditional archery
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
I was asked why I like traditional archery today which I've thought about why and I don't like it... I love it, it's so simple but so challenging, pick a spot, draw back, pause, release   :biglaugh:   it's also nice to take low draw weight bows like my 30 pound r/d and take some random pieces of wood and shape into decent arrows with homemade broadheads and just have fun messing around, and seeing what you can create.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why I love Traditional archery
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
Very Well Said. I agree, the simplicity of the equipment, the beauty of the woods in the bows, and the colors of the feathers on our arrows. I Too Love It!    :archer:

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I do love the equipment and shooting it but mostly I just love the fact that maintaining the level of fair chase keeps hunter oppurtunity at a maximum.
This is what bow hunting pioneers fought for in the introduction of lengthy archery seasons. We are already seeing the implications of more advanced technology in our season lengths.  
Another great thing about traditional archery is the history, being able to sit in the stand with the same equipment as Pope, Young, Fred Bear and many others is a special thing.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Yes, what a great sport.  Frustrating at times but even when I'm shooting poorly, I still enjoy seeing the flight of the arrow.  Shooting instinctively is at times almost magical. Also all of the equipment can be made at home which can really add to the fun.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
I love how organic and instinctive it is.  I decided to get back into bow hunting this year and I had to choose my weapon.  The compound just was not fun anymore. Tedious and mechanical and no joy in shooting.  It just feels so much more natural and fulfilling shooting trad.  Truth be told though,  this website and the great people on it are what swayed my final decision.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Traditional equipment is everything that moderm equipment is not.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm pondering on selling my compound bows to add a big jim TC to my collection

Offline barewithme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
I'm pondering on selling my compound bows to add a big jim TC to my collection

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
What's not to like, lol.

I love the whole experience, but I think what I like the most, is the up close and personal, in your face excitement of deer, and turkey hunting with traditional archery equipment. It's a rush that I've never gotten from anything else, and it never gets old.

Bob

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
It's the only style of archery that I have ever done...

Offline liv'nonaprayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
I enjoy the challenge,anything else and you might as well be shooting a gun(which I also enjoy) Bill.
2 cor.5:17

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
The challenge... yeah. But also very relaxing to just go to the backyard and shoot. I have the most fun shooting at anything other than a target.

I like to pick out a leaf, clump of grass, dandelion bloom etc. Unknown yardages... just "plinking".

I guess my handle says it best for me... fun shooter.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
I got into traditional archery about 13 years ago as just another way to hunt deer... Who knew that I too would fall in love with its' entire nature!

Way back while viewing an expert on his video tape saying- "Shooting a simple bow and arrow is one of the joys of life for me. Maybe it will be for you one day." At first I thought this fella was a bit touched, but now... He was 100% right on target! Thanks Fred...  :thumbsup:

Anyway... Can't have too many arrows. Wood, aluminum, carbon... Shoot 'em all! Lots of bows to trade, buy, sell...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:04:00 AM »
At 31 years of age, I get asked this question a lot. It can sometimes be hard to answer. All my bow hunting friends that are my age, all shoot compounds. My close friends weren't supprised when I made the switch. They just said it fit me. Lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
I have to shoot from the center of our street or from the neighbors yard.  I be.ieve most think our longbows are toys and think nothing of it.  Get away with rabbit and dove hunting in the hills around town
Make all your own stuff, quiet and a challenge to yourself- every single shot!  Trad archery
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
Bwahaha!  I have have gotten away with some suburban hunting with my recurve that I know I wouldn't have been able to swing with a compound. Lol I guess people think they are toys ha.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Yes, I like the challenge and the requirement of deep concentration and dedication. But the bottom line is that it is FUN.
Sam

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I agree I completly love my simple stick and string so simple but will kill any animal just as fast as any Mathews or Hoyt
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
When I was nine, we moved from the rural Adirondacks, to the central part of the state.

I was excited to see cottontail rabbits all around the small town we moved to, and started hunting.

Looking back on it now, I tracked rabbits on snow through peoples back yards, and into the few places that were grown up with brush, and briars. All within the village limits, and like I said, literally through peoples back yards. Nobody said a word. Of  course at that age, nobody probably thought much about a kid "playing" with a little recurve bow.

I killed my first archery rabbit not long after that with my little recurve. I tracked it from the hedges that separated our yard and our neighbors, through a couple more yards, and spotted it hiding in a pile of old wood in another neighbors back yard. That was my first bow kill. I've been hooked ever since.

I can also remember walking into the little store in town with my bow in hand, and a quiver full of arrows on my back. I wouldn't try that one today.

Bob

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Don't know why I do, but maybe shooting my recurves  brings back  memories of my good friends gone on and those times shooting, camping, and hunting with them. I learned to shoot with rosewood recurves, so that is what I shoot now. The 50-year old rosewood Bears I shoot now match me, my style, my shooting, and my old dog stories I can tell as well.  I'm a die-hard recurve trad shooter that they will hang on the fence someday and say "look here, that's what they used to look like".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©