3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trad perception, bow styles  (Read 744 times)

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
trad perception, bow styles
« on: May 14, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
I compete in 3d shoots in a trad class. There is a perception of what is or isn't considered trad. The class is dominated by 25" metal Olympic riser recurves with ilf limbs. Yes I shoot one myself. Id like to pick up a wood riser and wondering what are others perceptions of what trad is? This is competitive shooting and the longer the riser/bow, the more accurate it will be. Is a 25" wooden ilf riser "trad"? What if it was a bolt down 25" wooden riser? Is a shorter metal riser considered trad, like a 19" titan or buffalo? Just curious on your thoughts, since this is a trad site.
 Are metal Olympic risers keeping you from competing?
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: trad perception, bow styles
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Europeans were hunting with bows as tall as a man long before barebow competitions hit the scene.  Stick and string is the most basic essence of "trad" or however one wants to refer to it.  Then there's everyone's individual opinion on "types" of bow setups and aiming methods.  I love all types of stickbows just like I like all kinds of women   ;)    shooting well is so much more dependent on the shooters biomechanics and mental commitment than the equipment used.  If youre concerned by your fellow competitors' equipment you can either propose some class expansions/rule changes, meet them on the field with the same type of setup, or just shoot what works best for YOU and not worry about it.  

The real question is how would you approach this idea in relation to your hunting pursuits?  

By the way have you seen Bob Lee's new 23" riser P3?  And they also just introduced a 21" as well.  These risers are available in any combo of exotic wood or phenolic or either.  I myself have a 19" riser Bob Lee and it is a lights out shooter.  To me its as "trad" as anything, though when I want to really challenge myself I grab one of my Hills lately.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
The way I see it, if you're shooting without sights and a mechanical release, you're shooting trad. I don't care if you're using a 100" aluminum riser with carbon limbs, it's still in the traditional style.

Sure it may not be "traditional" in the sense that it's machined out of modern materials, but you're still shooting instinctively without a release.

I personally have no interest in shooting an olympic style bow because I only have interest in hunting, and not competing professionally. Every person you talk to will have a different opinion about this though, to each his own.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Repeat post, whoops
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
I have a martin takedown with a metal riser, never measured it but bow length is 68". Now the kicker is that it has 75 pound limbs at 28 and I draw close to 30". While I have shot in 3D competition with it, I find it very uncomfortable by the end of the shoot. Getting old and feeble doesn't help. I stick to the 60 lb longbow now.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
I like stick and one string. The stick can be and is a metal riser right now. I have even got a rubber stabilizer gizzmo someone gave me on it. Shoots great with 60# limbs.
Where I go sideways is the folks that always seem to push the rules at competitions. Like a 3piece LB made with a brass riser. Yes, I have seen one. Of course this has been going on since the first archery tournament. Sometimes I get the impression that ( if I bought it, it must be legal).

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
One sting with limbs you bend to store energy, no sights- trad.  Is it as traditional a bow as self bow, no.  Are my take down bows with wood risers and laminated limbs as trad as a self bow- no.  But I still consider myself a traditional archer.  Just like compound bow users are still archers, just not considered traditional.  All classification systems have lumpers and splitters.  I try to be more of a lumper, using broader definitions.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Looking at my bow rack and saying hmmmmmm, The only type of stick bow I don't have is a metal riser ILF. Soooooooooo. I guess I'll just be a loser, or a winner. however I want to look at it. To me winning is about enjoyment. That is why I like simplicity. If I am going to load the bow then for me the enjoyment goes out the door. This understanding came after years of competitive shooting unlimited factory shooter. I burned out on it. Lost the reason for what I was doing. Actually I discovered that when it is all about winning the basic joy of shooting gets replaced.
So back to the stick and string and first season I was blessed to kill a nice bull elk with an old Bear Grizzly and all the joy was back. I think I got as good as I could get shooting a compound so now am working on just getting good (not as good as I can get) but just good with a stick bow and having a blast building and shooting while I'm doing it.

God bless, Steve

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
I'm not a stickler. If it ain't got wheels it is trad.
Sam

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I'll roll with that    :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
X3

As the old saying goes. "It ain't the bow, it's the monkey pulling the string that counts!".

Bisch

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I just like what I like don't care if anyone else does.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
What Bisch said!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm a "hardliner". Traditional, to me is a one piece bow, shot off the hand.  No prosthetic handgrips or bolt-on limbs.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I have a Morrison 19" riser with his Max  1 XL limbs. I found it is a happy medium. I shoot it off the shelf with a plunger. It is smokin fast and I have managed to get it as quiet as my long bow. I have shot my best scores with it and when an opportunity presents itself it should be up to the challenge. I say whatever makes you feel the most lethal you should use.

It is actually lighter in weight (Mass Weight not Draw Weight) than my take down longbow.

I like to call it Modern Traditional. Love adding up a bunch of 10's on my score card.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Wow you guys are awesome. We are led to believe tournament numbers are way down due to the influx of metal risers, but maybe that's not the case. I really want a wood riser as I said, just hate the thought of spending the money only to hear comments its not trad.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm with Bisch on this one

I shoot my JD berry 1pc longbows and wood arrows exclusively in tournements but I have a metal riser titan with lb limbs I secretly shoot when no one is looking lol

But I do love that ILF lb!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by kenn1320:
Wow you guys are awesome. We are led to believe tournament numbers are way down due to the influx of metal risers, but maybe that's not the case. I really want a wood riser as I said, just hate the thought of spending the money only to hear comments its not trad.
Well here's an option for you if you want a wood riser. I've got an ILF riser i build in 17" 19" & 21" with wood and G-10 Garolite.... G-10 is a seriously strong epoxy fiberglass phenolic that adds mass weight.... and ....its much stronger than any aluminum riser in the flex department.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
That is a sharp looking riser, didnt know you could get G10 in black. Do you custom order it?

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
I think trad means different things to different people. Shoot what is fun for you! I like to think theres just many different flavors of trad out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©