3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey and a string tracker concern  (Read 484 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey and a string tracker concern
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Anyone worry about the string getting caught on the brush hunting out if a ground blind?  I don't have abpop up and hunt out of brush blind and I passed up a shot through a small opening because of fear of the string getting caught.  With no tracker I would have had a shot but didn't want to chance that arrowhead coming back at me lol. Just a observation since I've never hunted with one.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey and a string tracker concern
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I've never used a tracker, but I believe the line is a light # test... I would think it would break, before the arrow came back at you.

Who knows though... I'm not as smart as some think!!!  :confused:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
i'd be willing to bet...if you have it set up correctly...it would break off at the broadhead.

definitely wouldn't get true arrow flight, so passing up that shot was a good idea if it would have been a tight fit.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
If I found myself in that situation, I would just reach up and use the broadhead to cut the string real quick and take the shot. The string does tend to come out in a spiral a few inches across, not sure it would catch on brush though, seems like it would just slide across it to me.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
The string should break!!! They have been around for a longtime and I think 17# line is all you can get now. Bow fishing your using much higher poundage and the arrow string is at the back of the arrow which will pull the arrow strait back to you if you screw up for some reason.

Turkey tracker arrows should be attached at the front behind the broadhead, if you snag and for some reason and it didn't break the tight line should pull the arrow downward not backward I would think. Just my opinion

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
We did a lot of testing with them when they first came out.  We found that shots had to be in closer in a stiff crosswind and that the string would hang up on stalky weeds that the arrow had to pass very close to.  So far I have found that the large Deadhead and four blade Herters broadheads are very good for taking turkeys without a string tracker. Actually those four blade Herters heads do a very good job on deer as well.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
I agree with Tracy...don't think it would be a problem. No concern about the arrow coming back at me. I've used them and had them break, but never pulled back.

Good idea to cut the string quickly if you think it might cause a bad hit or a miss.

JMO
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
Not sure brush would do it. I do know of guys who had arrows come back at them- either the spool had not been loosened by rolling it first, or they forgot to take the cap off the spool holder.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
Tracy is right on the money!  

I've been using them for almost 20yrs. on turks and have never had anything even remotely like that ever happen...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Have killed a number of turkey with the bow, have never used a tracker and can't imagine needing one.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I too have shot them for close to 30 years and after literally hundreds of shots taken by me and the Gang I hunt with, not a single shot has been impacted by brush.  
I can say with the greatest of confidence that if the unit is set up correctly that it can be shot in any situation without hesitation.
I don't want to sound contrarian but under no circumstances should the spool be "rolled" or otherwise manipulated.  It could cause an issue with free spool that could impact accuracy.  

Setup of the unit is as easy as removing the first 100 yards of line.  This ensures total free spool.  
With all possible respect to previous post, it is physically impossible (for several reasons) for an arrow to bounce back with front attachment as well as 17 pound line.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Hey Jerry- I am the one posted a couple of those comments.  I am always willing to learn (re-learn).  And I guess some of this came up on another thread many moons ago on TG. . .  

I can say that in the 70s/80s string trackers were quite common in my circles for deer and bear. My friends owned archery shops and worked with these issues often (mostly from compounds).  I am not sure what # test the spools were.  1) There were a number of cases where guys forgot to remove the rubber stopper on the front of the spool container assembly- the arrow stopped dead. Though I would agree it probably did not truly come back at you like a fishing arrow could.  But it was a intense experience!  2) I mentioned on TG before that it was also standard practice/instruction to roll the spool in the palm of your hand (I actually think you may find that in writing on the early spool systems). The spools were quite solid and this gently loosened them.  Again- this was standard OP/troubleshooting when someone came in to report a failed release.  

I will gladly recant on my 2C thoughts- maybe we did it wrong. . . but these were how we used them in the circles I was in.  Things change and I have certainly been wrong before.

Thanks for continued civil response that TG offers us.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Hey Dan,
Much of the information out there on these string trackers is memory based for a long time ago and that may be where some of the issues come from as far as accuracy is concerned. My knowledge comes from making some of the simple mistakes way back when. With the resurgence in interest on these string trackers, I just want to try and let my mistakes 20-30 years ago help other from repeating them. I make a GREAT guinea pig, lol

The two biggest mistakes (mentioned in my string tracker set-up video) is not pulling out 100 yards of line to reduce 99% of friction before the first shot and forgetting to take the cap off before the shot.

Leaving the cap on will only result in the arrow slowing down (tested a bunch of times) and the cap popping off at the shot.  The real problem here is after it causes a miss you look down and the cap is off. The tracker is then blamed because there is no way to tell you left it on.  

Good discussions here- as always.

Take care.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I can't tell you how many critters I have shot with a string tracker, and I am in complete agreement with Jerry on this one!

Bisch

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
I shot a bunch of deer many years ago with a tracker, and it worked well. I'd like to get a new one for my widow, but haven't run across one.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks again Jerry-  

Glad guys can have a collective voice on the issues.  I probably have been advising wrongly for many years.  Glad you have current experience.

Always good here on TG.  

BTW Jerry- your hog experience/harvest had to be one of the best hunting skill/stories I have ever read.  Very impressed!!!  Congrats.

Dan in KS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©