3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Saying Goodbye Today  (Read 912 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Saying Goodbye Today
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
For the past 19 years I have had the fortune to own my own little piece of paradise.  My lifelong dream - a rustic hunting cabin located on 130 beautiful acres of prime whitetail and turkey habitat.  In a few short hours that will come to an end as we head to an attorneys office to sign papers to sell the property.

When I retired six years ago I thought of course that I would be able to use the cabin more than ever.  Strangely, it has actually almost turned out to be the opposite.  It seems that now that time is not an issue I find myself heading out of state even more often that I did while I was working.  I just don't get to the cabin nearly as much as I thought I would.  As much as I enjoyed it while I was there, I found that I would go away on a trip and when I returned I didn't want to take off immediately to head north to the cabin.  

So the time has come to say goodbye and pass the property on to new owners.  The upside though is that the sale proceeds will go toward purchasing an additional piece of property that adjoins the 21 acres our home sits on.  We do have some pretty darn good deer and turkey hunting right here at home, and the new land will give me enough room to do all of my hunting right from home when I am not away out of state somewhere.

The new land will be converted to better wildlife habitat with tree and shrub plantings, prairie grasses, food plots, etc.  I have already purchased a tractor in anticipation of all the work to come.  

So today is a very sad day in one respect, and I leave with many great memories.  I have hosted a number of St. Jude hunts up there and entertained many Trad Gang buddies, family and friends as guests.  Over the years we have tasted more than our share of successes.  Those memories will always be with me.  But it is now time to turn to a new chapter in life and I am very much looking forward to reading that one.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Saying Goodbye Today
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
St. Jude Bow Building and Hunt

St. Jude Pound Cake Hunt with Team MKLLC members.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
I have memories of that property and the great time spent with new friends when Joe invited a few of us for a St Judes hunt. I think it is most mens dream to own a place like this so I can feel your sadness in letting it go, I wish you luck in developing the new dream and I wish you DOUBLE luck for all your future out of state tag draws. Don't forget to visit Pam and I in AZ some winter soon.

:archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
Joe happy for you. Don't know if I could let go that pretty piece of land.I know you will replace the memories with new ones as you travel in retirement.    :thumbsup:

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Joe,

What a gorgeous place you have! I can definitely see how it would be emotional letting a place like that go.  I just finished up my cabin last year and have just begun making memories there.  I can only hope I make as many memories there in the next 18 years as it appears you have at your place.  In the end, isn't that what we're all after anyway.  

Enjoy the next chapter, I'm sure it will be a good one.

Aaron

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Awesome that you are passing it someone to enjoy. Glad the addition to your current property is working out. I envy you.   :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
Can't believe you are selling that heaven on earth. I know I couldn't let that go. Good luck on the new land.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Shoulda sold it to me, then you would have always been able to return.... Wish I knew it was for sale.
You'll never forget those great times

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
That's to bad Joe. I am sure the next owners will love it too. I think I might have sold the house and moved to the cabin though.    :bigsmyl:

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Looks like a lot of good memories, but there's more to be created at the other place as well!
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
In one way I know exactly how you are feeling, your new adventure is starting.

I just listed my camp for the same reasons.  I'll build a new one somewhere.  After all, it's not the place that REALLY makes the memories, it's more the people that help make them with you.  

Maybe a little bird hunting this season for Arlo??
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Hi Joe, I hope you have just as many memories at the new place as your old place.  I had the same feelings as you when i sold my ks farm and i only had it for 5 years but i found another great place that i will be able to share with friends and family.  Take Care

Burton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
This is one of those sad moments that makes life so sweet. No doubt, you will build up many fond memories under your new conditions.
Sam

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
One door closes, another on opens.  I know you'll build new adventures on the foundation of those remembered.
Jim

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Dang Joe, I will have to have ceremonial beer to reflect on the one and only weekend that I was privileged to hunt there. That sure is a special piece of hunting land and I share some of your remorse.
Now the big question I have is what will you use for an excuse for not keeping up on the honey do list?
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
Joe, don't know if I could do it with my camp.  It has been my go to/get away place for 30 years. But you got to do what you got to do.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
That's is a tough one,what a beautiful cabin awesome deer mounts! Wish you luck on your new piece of land!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Its Bittersweet Joe.

Best wishes on your out of state hunts.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I know the feeling too. Saying goodbye to the camp I grew up hunting this year. My dad helped our good family friend build the cabin and our family has hunted that land for over 40 years.  This year that friend sold out to the gas companies in Northeast Pa.  Gonna run a pipeline over the mountain and put a well pad in.  They are putting the well right on top of a little swamp on the ridge that was the breadbasket for all the animals. I imagine the animals will move to other areas and I just don't think I can go up there and see them cutting trees and putting something so ugly in.
Killed my first deer from the same tree my pop pop killed his first. He had passed on 2 weeks before that.
Cherish the memories and build some new ones.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
I've had mine since 1981. I don't get to it as often as I like, but I just don't think I could bring myself to sell it. Best of luck on your new property. I'm sure you will create many new memories.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©