3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt Buffalo or Bear Takedown.  (Read 651 times)

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt Buffalo or Bear Takedown.
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
I have owned a  Hoyt Dorado before and I really like the bow. I have heard that the Buffalo is an awesome shooter and a very smooth bow. But I really love the looks of the Bear Takedown. Which would you prefer and why. I just want some honest opinions. I am planning on getting one of these bows in the next 3 to 6 months or so. I can't shoot one because no bow shop around here has them. Bass pro does have a Super Kodiak in stock that I could shoot. Would that be close enough to the bear takedown. Thanks
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt Buffalo or Bear Takedown.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Bear T/D Hands Down!!!!!!!!!!  :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I've shot both. I have a long draw 30.5 and both pull all the way back smoothly. The buffalo shot exactly where I looked and fast. The bear was way nicer than I thought it would be. To me it would boil down to want you want to hold, the buff of course is a metal riser and all the weight is right there and it feels heavy to me that however also makes it dead in the hand. The bear is wood and wood just feels right on a bow. The whole bow feels more evenly balanced. So they ya go. They both shoot as well as you can it comes to what you want. Good luck!
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I haven't shot the Hoyt, but own a Bear TD (I don't think they are comparable to the Super Kodiaks I have owned either). which one do you really want ?

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
I really want the Bear. The tradition of the bow. And the looks of the bow just blow me away. I think thats what I'm going to go with. A riser with #1 limbs for now. I still need to save a little more. I really like the black diamond wood red stripe.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
I like the Buffalo better. I was able to play with both. And I went with the hoyt. From the moment it was in my hand it hit exactly where I was looking. The bear was nice but te buffalo felt better. Try to atleast handle them before you decide.
though for a takedown I just got my bama 2peice tribute royal... I may never shoot any other bow agan.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
I read a lot of forums, I've heard some less than flattering things about the Bear Traditional bows quality control lately, don't think any of it was in relation to the take down model though. So if I had my heart set on a Bear Take Down I would want to see and shoot before I bought or I would buy one of the originals! Or maybe order from someplace like rmsgear and have them check it out before it ships to you versus ordering from someplace that wouldn't have the knowledge to check it out properly before it gets shipped I've never read anything negative about theBuff or any other Hoyt! If I had the coin I would own one of the original Bear Take Downs! I need the longer model if I every bought one and those seem to be even more expensive!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jim Maes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 01:45:00 AM »
I got the Bear TD, A handle #1 limbs, last fall and have been shooting it all spring.  I just can't put it down.  wish i woulda bought one alot sooner.  It shoots great for me.  I haven't had my hands on a buffalo so i can't talk comparisons but i don't think you will be disappointed  if you get the bear.

Offline Jim Maes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:46:00 AM »
I got the Bear TD, A handle #1 limbs, last fall and have been shooting it all spring.  I just can't put it down.  wish i woulda bought one alot sooner.  It shoots great for me.  I haven't had my hands on a buffalo so i can't talk comparisons but i don't think you will be disappointed  if you get the bear.

Offline Jim Maes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
I've always liked the Bear TD and now it looks like you can get custom limbs from Kirk at Bigfoot Bows  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I've never shot a bear takedown, but here's a review on the Buffalo.

http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2014/12/projecthoytbuffalo-initial-set-uptuning.html

http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2015/04/hoyt-buffalo-in-field.html

The only problem now is that my limb started to splinter. I am tough on my bows, but it's only been five months.

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan.
Great Review!
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Shoot them both. Then decide. I love Bear T/D's, so it's a no-brainer for me. But, if you're on the fence, you should shoot both, then decide.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
I bought a Bear Custom Kodiac TD in early April. First recurve I've shot since I took up the longbow about 12 years ago. Can't really compare it to the Hoyt u mentioned but the Bear shoots like a dream. The nostalgia alone is worth the price of admission.    :thumbsup:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
You stated you really want the Bear, so you answered your own question.
Sam

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Sam McMichael     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   :
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Get the Buffalo, sell the limbs, put F4s or F7s or it and have a seriously smooth fast rig.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©