3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where are the turkeys?  (Read 567 times)

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
Where are the turkeys?
« on: May 16, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
The land was full of them a month ago but they have all but disappeared. Not a single gobble this morning. Saw one hen.
Here is my rig
Bear Super Grizzly

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where are the turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
The turkeys all saw you with your bow when you exited the truck and they exited the property.  That's what happens when you own such a lethal looking bow.   :)    Also, you might want to check your nocking point.  It looks exceedingly low in the photo.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
Saw a lot of turkey during periods 2-4.  Hunted a traditional, but different, area in period five.  Three days and didn't see a bird.  Did hear a couple, but couldn't call anything in. Have a few days left.  Think I'll go back to my honey hole.

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
It was setup by the shop I bought it from. Shoots some arrows well other not so. I ordered a new custom string so I'll play with the nock height with the new string. I don't get the purposing? though just shelf wear.

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
I'm hunting in NE Wisconsin
My land is generally loaded with em but just the one hen this morning. Took a ride on public land and nothing. Back to my land now and sitting in my blind.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Been having a tough time. First week they were henned up, second week my allergies flared up and I ended up with acute sinusitis (not a complement) and on steroids/antibiotics... that kept me out of the woods some.

Had a 2 year old bird scare off when he seen my "funky chicken"... brave skinny little jake decoy (he had received a couple of thumpings from mature birds the day before!

Had a couple of good Toms hang up at 60 yards entertaining their hens... but got some great video.

Finally, today... I almost closed the deal. Called a BIG one in with a hen but he got nervous and I DID NOT TAKE THE FIRST SHOT I HAD, like I should have. I was telling myself to calm down and let him take a couple more steps so he would be in the center of my blind window, rather than at the side of it (more clearance and time for me to chill a little). Bad decision on my part. He turned and dropped just far enough over a rise in the bank to prevent a shot... then walked past my jake decoy, fluffed up (as if to say, "I could whup you") and disappeared.   :knothead:  

I have one week left and two gobbler tags.

You just got to "keep the faith"! They are out there and patience can be a powerful thing!

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Nice setup. Darned nice truck too.

As far as the birds go, It's mighty slim pickins here this year. We had a rough winter, and it must have killed a bunch of them. Everybody I've talked to around here says the same thing.

I've only seen two toms and three hens around home, where I usually see a bunch. I killed one of the toms, and now I feel guilty about it.

I've been hunting a buddy's place some, and there seems to be a few more birds there, but again, nothing like what there usually is.

I hope we have a dry spring, and a decent winter this year.

Keep after em, and good luck.

Bob

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Today and tomorrow morning. That's it. I'm already missing my sons baseball tournament. I'll at least catch Sunday's games.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
Our numbers are way down here. Have had 2-3 wet springs in a row and coyotes are getting thicker than hair on a werewolf.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
I have seen a ton of turkeys...only when driving past private land and especially closed government land.  Oh well.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by hitman:
Our numbers are way down here. Have had 2-3 wet springs in a row and coyotes are getting thicker than hair on a werewolf.
Don: It is strange here in southern Wood County. From my house I am seeing more turkeys than usual, but the areas I hunt seem to hold fewer turkeys. I had several Toms located before season, but they seem to be traveling now... I suppose looking for receptive hens.

Got on a bird this morning, but he picked up a hen just before I could get him in range. Also seen a newborn fawn.

Have had several REAL close calls at shots... hoping to get it done in the next few days.

Good luck if you get to make it out.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
Hunted last week in NC wisconsin and real slim Pickens. Not many birds and in three days only had one Tom give me a response then promptly shut up. Most everyone around here said that aside from the "yard" turkeys everything has gone quiet after the first week.  Here in the north our turkey numbers resemble our deer numbers... Not much.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©