3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nobody likes to admit they're getn "old" BUT...  (Read 1442 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nobody likes to admit they're getn "old" BUT...
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
I've got a "back pay" check, from a union contract coming in June. I've got the normal bills to catch up & things to do... BUT, I've been tossing around the idea of FINALY after 40 some years, getting the Bear Kodiak T/D that I have always wanted...

My question is this... How old were you, or when did you "think" about dropping bow weight????? I've always shot about 50# and PLAN on shooting it untill I'm dead!!! HOWEVER... I realisticly know, that may not be the case. I know I can "always get lower weight limbs" but #1 I don't want to...(I've had plenty of extra shotgun barrels,that never got used) #2 THEY COST MONEY!!! (this is supossed to be my LAST new bow purchase)

So, you "Old Fellers"... Did you??? Didn't you??? If so, how much weight did you drop... 5# ? 10# ?  I'm going to be 55yrs old this summer and I'm FAR from "over the hill" BUT, I'm finding it harder every year, to get to the Top of the Mountain...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nobody likes to admit they're getn "old" BUT...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm am older than you by 10 years and dropped weight from around 55# to 48# over the last couple of years.  Shooting the bow weight 48ish  isn't the problem, with my knees  I don't even look at hills.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Went from 55-60 to 50-55# to 45-50# and now I'm real happy around 43-46#........that transition took about 15 years give or take. I'll be 63 in mid June while I'm on my Bear hunt in Quebec! You do the math Chuck......lol.......you gotta be tough to get old    :readit:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
I just turned 66 yesterday. Up until 2 years ago I was shooting bows in the 50-55# range. Now it's mid to upper 40's for me.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
I'm only 54 but shoot 47#s because

1) it's all I need, and

2) I  can shoot 100s of arrows a day with no problem, and

3) it's all I need, oops I already said that
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
I am 67, and shoot 52-53#s.
I have a set of 46# limbs on order. The reasoning is that the 46# limbs are good for working on my release. The lighter the draw weight the harder it is to get a good crisp release IMO.
I know that I am not going to be going up in weight from here on, so I may need them lighter before long.
If you feel good, there is no reason that I can see to drop weight at your age. You have a long time before you worry about it.
Ken Thornhill

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
I went down about 5-6 pounds of draw weight the past year or so... Like longer bows too... I'll be 59 years old soon and feel a draw weight I can shoot all day stumping or at 3D is a good idea...

... mike ...    :archer2:    ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
My "ODO" will roll over to 69 this summer.

Up to about age 55 I shot 65 to 70.  I dropped weight and was way more comfortable at 50 to 55.

I had a frozen shoulder incident about five years ago and could not shoot at all for about a year.  About four years ago I shot 38# for the hunting season and it was painful!  At this point I'm shooting 43 to 48 with no problem.  Probably never go back to 55, but that's ok the 43 to 48 is adequate.

I can still hunt high and long but I don't move as fast anymore!  A broken femur three years ago still is a major problem and always will be.  Just means the route has to be carefully planned.  I hunted elk last january and when the snow got over about 18" deep it was about as much as I could handle.

It is heck getting old, but I still enjoy the time in the field as much as ever.  In some ways even more!  I have two stout grandsons that I brought along for years on my hunts and they will do just about anything for their grand dad.  Got a couple more coming up too.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
I am 54 and shoot 54 pounds.  Listen to your body and try to stay strong and healthy.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I'm looking at an A-handle with #1 limbs, making a 56" bow

A pair of #1-50# limbs on the A-handle will make a 52# bow

A pair of #1-45# limbs on the A-handle will give me a 47# bow

Decissions..... Decissions.....  :banghead:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I will be 70 this comin Aug. I just parted with my 64# LB. Still shooting my 60# limbs on my ILF bow and my Bear TD. That said my next set of limbs will be 45-50#. I hope to continue shooting my 55# bows for awhile yet, maybe 5-10 years.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
63 this year.  I bought a 49# bow anticipating the future need, but so far it is still going to be the 53# recurve.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
Chuck......your a deer and turkey hunter and a stumper, 47# is plenty........at that weight you can do it all day!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong either way Chuck.

I'm 51 years old and I shot a 60# bow for years. My rotator cuffs got so bad four or five years years ago, that it tore me up to shoot more than a few arrows, and my accuracy went south.

I dropped down 10# and it made a big difference. If I'm careful not to shoot very many arrows at at time, I can shoot a little every day, and stay in shape to hunt.

Bob

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
I am 66 and have been shooting between 40 and 45# for many years. Because of a combination of strength or lack there of and accuracy.

I need another bow like I need a hole in my head BUT would love a Bear takedown.  Just haven't found one.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
I am 65 years old, and dropped from 78# to 65# over 10 years ago. 6 years ago, I had an injury and dropped down to 55# where I currently am. I can shoot the 65# bow fairly well now, but my shoulder does bother me after a couple of dozen arrows, so I consider the 55 pounder now as my go to weight.
Sam

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm 63. In the 80's and early 90's I shot 65#. Mid 90's to about 2002 or so I shot 55#. Almost all my shooting now is done with bows in the 47-52# range. I'm in good shape but, I just shoot better with the lighter weights. And, it's easier on the shoulder.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I am 56 have always shot right at 50# I have a annoying pain in my shoulder blade. My next bow will be 45# I am also looking at the Kodiak TD. Big Jim has them on sale now with free shipping.
 I do worry that dropping to #45 will make shooting  my 50# bows less enjoyable as muscles will most likely weaken
What's an old fellow to do?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
I'm 56 and shoot the bows listed below.  Hope to for many years.  Few push ups and some rubber band exercise helps.   Shoot heavy bows better when the string gets yanked out of my fingers.

:campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
I'm turning 65 in a couple months. I retired at 55 and when I retired I moved up in weight. Went from #50 to #54-64 depending on the bow I'm shooting. My everyday is usually #56-57. The main thing for me is to shoot almost every day and stay in good shape.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©