3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nobody likes to admit they're getn "old" BUT...  (Read 1443 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nobody likes to admit they're getn "old" BUT...
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
I'm 71 yrs old and have dropped about 15# over the last 15 yrs. By the time I'm 80 it'll probably be about 30-35#. I believe that it would be fun to beat young sassy archers shooting 60# bows with a 30# bow. Lol.   :archer2:  

Seriously, I believe that there is to much macho with some shooters. There are so many who would shoot a lot better if they weren't overbowed.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Woodchucker, I recommend the lighter limbs if you go with the 56-inch configuration.  Won't feel the finger pinch as much, and 47# is still a nice hunting weight.

I'm 69 now.  Until four-five years ago I shot in the low 60s.  Now I mostly shoot the low 50s, but also have a few bows in the 47-48# range.  I'm finding I like the lighter bows more and more.

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I am 76 yrs. young and I hunt with 50 lbs although I noticed that my draw is shrinking and I shoot a lot fewer arrows.I am trying my best to maintain this for my elk hunting.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I am 66 and started dropping weight about 5 years ago ... I hunted 55-60#'s until my draw started to shrink and I went to 50#'s, if I shoot a fair amount I can handle the 50 but if I shoot occasionally I feel better at 45#. I have a 64" Caribow Taiga that is 46 at my draw and right now it is feeling pretty good    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
I'm only 68 and been shooting since 1962, but all my bows which I have now and have had and are gone were about the same, with a weight range between 40 to 49 lb.  I did own a 32 lb Tamerlane I bought as a teenager in Jaunary of '63 with Christmas money to shoot field archery tournaments, but all the others have been in the range above. Like to shoot my 43# '61 Kodiak best. It just seems to fit my shooting style well. The bow I shot the most in the past was a MagnaFlight (from a bower near Chicago) magnesium risered take down target bow.  It was a super-duper fast shooting bow and my former coach from the sixties got me to get one after he saw several people shooting them at the NFAA Nationals in the newly formed Bowhunter Division in 1970.  It was 49 lb but with my short 26-inch draw, it was easy to shoot.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
Leonard, you got me inspired!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Turned 70 this last year. I have been shooting 50#@28" for about 20 years now. I have a 28" draw length. I still shoot the 50# with ease and hope to continue as I just ordered a new bow and it will be 50#-49#. I exercise three times a week and specifically do back exercises so I can continue shooting 50# comfortably. I may have to drop in weight someday but I don't intend to do so in the near future.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:00 AM »
I can still shoot hundreds of arrows in day with bows that are 60 pounds and heavier. I do hurt a little after those all day shooting binges, neck shoulder blade muscles, lower back and fingers. I shoot bows in the mid 50s mostly, but a young cute gal told me that I was the sexiest man in town, so I've got nothing to prove by shooting until I ache unless walking around with my shoulders cocked funny, limping, my neck way stiff and having stuff slip out of my stiff fingers, makes me look sexy.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
I am 60 now, as hard as that is for me to believe. I've always been in the 52-57# tame with my bows and since I still plan to hunt moose and elk I intend to stay with that as long as I can.  

But I did pick up a set of used Rose Oak 44# limbs for my Bear takedown and I've got to admit they are sweet! That combo has become my Turkey set up the past couple of years.  And I've used it on a bear and a deer as well.  I am really liking the lower weight,  although I'll start shooting the heavier bows again now getting ready for September chasing elk.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steven E Milbocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
I'll be 60 in Dec.Shoulder has been giving me fits so I dropped down to 42#.After a lot of therapy I now think I could get back into the 50s again but I get by just fine with the light weights and it's plenty for the limited deer hunting I do so I think I'll stay right where I am.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
I can still draw 80, but I don't like it,lol. I used to shoot mid 60s most of the time, but at 54 now I prefer 50-55.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Pushing 60 years in age.  Re-entered bow shooting about 15 years ago after a 20 year absence.  I was shooting mostly low to mid 60#s until about 10 years ago.  Dropped to the low 40s after I tore up my shoulder playing softball. Worked back to the low 50s and have settled in at that weight.
   In my case it seems to have more to do with how often I get to shoot instead of my age.  When I was shooting heavier bows I had a nice backyard range and shot daily.  In recent years I do well to get out once a week.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
At 79 years I've dropped to bows in the mid 40# range. There was a time when I didn't own a bow under 80#. Low 80's was my target bows and I hunted with 85 to 90. Bows over 100# were my workout bows. Time and wear and tear on the joints has changed all that.    :(

Can anyone relate to this?
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=144455
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
I will be 65 in November. I shoot 55-60#. I can still pull and hold 70#.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
You guys are an inspiration!!!

Ron, Your Mountainmen Poem is near and dear to me.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm 63 and have been shooting in the 55-60 range for quite a few years.  I can shoot heavier, but, 55-60 is good for me.  Between cutting, splitting and stacking firewood and fencing/unfencing pastures for the boss lady, I stay in pretty good shape.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
I'm 62 and just like you when I get old I will drop weight as my body tells me to but right now I'm still shooting the old 72# Bear T.D. with no problem.  I guess your "down" weight all depends upon where you "up" weight starts.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
I dropped from 60# and settled on around 50# about ten years ago at 60 years of age. Now at 70 I'm thinking of dropping a few pounds more.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
I meant to add that after I have my rotator cuffs fixed, and get healed up, I have no intention of trying to work back up to sixty pound bows again.

I know heavier weight bows do have some advantages over the lighter ones in some situations. I shot them for years, and I was a little worried about dropping down ten pounds, but I've really come to like the lighter draw weight, and I don't see where it's been any kind of handicap at all.

Bob

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Last summer at the Colo Jamboree I bought a new bow a Pronghorn.  I miss read the numbers on the bow and it turns out to be 50# at my draw. I have always shot 55#.  Well guess what.  Turns out that it is easy to draw, accurate, does not hurt my wrist and shot through the three deer I harvested last season.  All around a good deal.
Joe 64 years old
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©