3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Revelation of a Ghost – TG Bow Review  (Read 926 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Revelation of a Ghost – TG Bow Review
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Has been considerable time since I have submitted a bow review…  Typically, prefer to have a longtime compelling desire fulfilled in order to be inspired to share a splendid experience. I have never been remotely satisfied with my 25 yard groups with bows 58”s and under. Due to ever increasingly finding myself in closer and closer hunting quarters, realistic confidence in and the requirement for a shorter hunting bow has been steadily rising to the top of my personal expectations for the past five years. Note: My typical hunting ranges for deer and hogs…20 yards and under, for turkeys…15 yards and under. However, I wish to be both realistically competent and confident well beyond my typical hunting ranges in order to be sufficiently prepared to address the ever-changing hunting circumstances. Fortunately, I found myself composed enough to persevere in continuing with the quest of this personal endeavor.

Certainly am hopeful that this review of the TimberGhost Static Recurve proves beneficial to those desiring to acquire an excellent, amicably shooter friendly and lethal shorter hunting bow.

Note: Mr. Kent Roberts graciously provided pics the day prior to sending her on her way to her new home.

The forward riser, rear mounted limb design, generous brace height, static tips and other Trad Ganger exceedingly positive experiences motivated me to take a calculated risk in ordering the TimberGhost Static Tip Recurve. Bowyer ‘Kent Roberts’ was most open minded and genuinely interested in working with me to consider my submitted riser design proposal to enhance the riser aesthetic appearance. Mr. Robert’s crafted a masterful interpretation of which I have been overwhelmingly grateful.

Note: Prior to posting this review, I have run several thousand arrows thru the TimberGhost Static Tip Recurve and have hunted with her eighteen times in tighter quarter outings.

Note: Unless I can readily and visibly determine and/or experience the attributes, then I would soon omit them from any bow review. Attributes w/o personally experienced validation are of little consequence to me.

BOW REVIEW: TimberGhost Static Tip Recurve Bow Review

Bow Specs: 56” Recurve Static Tip - T/D

Draw Wt. 53 @ 28  (Note: I draw ~27 ¾”)

Riser: Forward deflex, rear-mounted limb design…Robust phenolic…13”s…Bocote accents… personally desirable and balanced mass.

Limbs: Longs…. w/ Actionboo cores- a parallel taper and special double taper that is thinner in the center and thicker on the ends ...Select Bocote Veneers

String: SDB 8 strand

Set-up Specs:
Nock pt:  5/8”
Brace Ht:  8 1/8”

Arrow Specs: Victory HV300 – 28 3/4”
Insert: 100 gn
Point: 300 gn
Tot. Wt.: 633 gn

Grip: The grip commands my primary attention in determining personal bow compatibility. The TimberGhost’s most accommodating standard grip provided an excellent, comfortable repeatable personal best fit. She seats on the mark every time and is extremely stable at anchor thru shot conclusion. This particular grip design inherently provides superior bone on bone alignment per my personal body structure… Appealing and quite effective stippling….experienced no grip and/or hand slippage.

Craftsmanship: Superior…Beauty was not a primary objective where accuracy, mass and stability were, yet she is exceedingly far more appealing than expected due to the craftsman’s compelling and gifted influence. The gifted hand of an artisan is most evident.

Draw: Effortless…Smooth…and Stable and as experienced in the past, the static tip design provided the impression that I was drawing a considerably longer bow.

Hand shock: None perceived- A significantly enhanced shorter recurve experience.

Sound: Emits a whisper….likely the quietest recurve I have personally experienced

Performance:  easily exceeded expectations

Maneuverability: Excellent

Accuracy: COMPETENT OUT TO 40 YARDS…

Shot Experience: An enlightened fulfilling experience, as well as, the acquisition of the completeness of satisfaction in obtaining the desired loft full objective. The lengthy quest to acquire a personally desired shorter hunting bow has come to fruition.

Service: Working with Mr. Kent Roberts has been a most pleasant and re-assuring experience. It was an honorable consolation to fathom that fulfilling my needs and expectations and especially keeping my own self on the proper path were obviously paramount. Mr.  Roberts is both the consummate gentleman and bowyer.

Many thanks and much appreciation is forth fully and gratefully extended to Mr. Kent Roberts…
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Revelation of a Ghost – TG Bow Review
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
Great review/comments Friend!  My only experience to date is with a 58" Kwik Styk static.  Smooth and fast!

I admit... I am more old school as far as apperances, but those belly mounted bows definately are shooters!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Wow, great, well written review. Been pondering one of these bows for a while now.....just about had to get out the dictionary after reading this! Great looking bow.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Scott, I have read poor reviews and it does me  to read one well written. You mentioned Kent worked with you on altering the riser from what I would presume would be his norm. Could you elaborate on that a little as this could be a feature that myself or others may want to incorporate in a future build. She's a looker and I know you must be proud. I can just see her all adorned with a new quiver and some lovely shafts. Thanks for a good read.   :thumbsup:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »
Reminds me of what I have on order. 58" Kwyk Styk with bocote veneers, cocobolo riser with bocote flare, antler tips and thumb shelf. It will be 53@28.

I think your choices in options LOOK GREAT! I'm sure it is a pleasure to shoot also.

Congrats!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:    

(Now if I could just speed up the clock for my own!)   :pray:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Thanks for a well thought out and presented review.
These TimberGhosts of all stripes sure generate good comments.
Yours is beautiful and immaculate which is icing on the cake to it's shootability.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Kent is a great guy! Beautiful bow.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Congrats on the bow. Stunning bocote!

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
I shoot frequently with Scott and this TG looks, handles and shoots better than most bows I've seen. Excellent review Friend.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Awsome Bow & Great Review!   :thumbsup:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I as well shoot with Scott at least once a week if not more. The Timber Ghost is as Scott wrote. She shoots great and the grip is amasing how it sits perfect in your hand and doesnt move. The pictures doesnt show the true beauty of seeing and holding it in real life.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
Scott, I have read poor reviews and it does me  to read one well written. You mentioned Kent worked with you on altering the riser from what I would presume would be his norm. Could you elaborate on that a little as this could be a feature that myself or others may want to incorporate in a future build. She's a looker and I know you must be proud. I can just see her all adorned with a new quiver and some lovely shafts. Thanks for a good read.     :thumbsup:  
I too would be interested in the riser alterations made from his standard design.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Friend, that is one of the best looking bows that I've seen that Kent made! And that is REALLY saying something!! I always enjoy reading people's reviews of TimberGhosts, and always enjoy reading your posts, as well. I'm ecstatic that I was able to read this wonderful combination of the two!

I try to endorse Kent's bows, whenever possible, because I am a fan of both his work, and him as a person.

I'm so glad that your experience with TimberGhost was as good as my own were/are.

Well done review, and I thank you for it, sir.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
Thank you for the kind complements regarding the review layout and information contained. Your respect is most humbling, greatly valued and appreciated.

As far as the riser redesign, my submittal focused on tapering the riser ends to alleviate a personally perceptible blocky visual presentation. To effectively and most accurately address some of the direct modifications, these inquiries have been deferred to the proper source….the bowyer…Mr. Kent Roberts.

Again, thank you…
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks Scott for the awesome review. I've actually built several bows with the new riser design since Scott's. Had been thinking about changing things up a little when Scott approached me about his bow. Little bit of a collaborative effort. I'll try to get on later to post some pics of both designs. Some like the original and some like the new design so I offer both. Also have a new design with an I-beam that allows thinner more sleek lines without an all phenolic riser.
Thanks again everyone.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Yup,  what Scott said.

God Bless,
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
Well, was going to post more pics of the differences between the new and original style riser but photobucket is absolutely useless when trying to use it with an iPhone or iPad and has totally depleted the very limited amount of patience I have with such incompetent service.
If anyone is interested I can e-mail pics and explain the differences in riser design.
I'd also like to let everyone know that I'm currently not taking any custom orders. Working on catching up with a few I have left. May take on a partner in the near future and if so will start taking custom orders again. Working full time and building bows on the side on my own just leaves very little time for family and fun. I greatly appreciate all the support for my bows from the members of TradGang.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:00 AM »
Nice review. But it would be easier to follow without all of the run-on sentences, brother.  :goldtooth:

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »
That's a real nice bow.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I would say ditto to the review!
 Fellas around me, aside from the aesthetics, talk about how quiet mine is for a short bow. 54" 47# @ 27". KSCATRAPR is looking at buying one and shot mine last night. First time he picks it up, he shot a 3" group at 18 yds.
I'll try and attach a link to pics.
Kent is gracious and great to deal with! Glad God has blessed him with so much success as a bowyer!

https://plus.google.com/photos/113421350962926581623/album/6067265415592142305?sview=54
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©