3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ticks  (Read 953 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
ticks
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Just a friendly reminder, they are out and in a bad way in Michigan.  Make sure to wear light clothing and pants tucked into your socks.  wife had two wood ticks on her yesterday.

This morning in church they announced that a friend of ours, daughter, Mary, age 24 died from lymes disease.  What a tragedy and to make matters worse they have another daughter,  age 21 who has C.F and is waiting for a lung transplant.

And we think we have it bad>>

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ticks
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Have you done a search on line for tick borne diseases? I did just yesterday, and there were well over a dozen different SERIOUS diseases listed. Some have no treatment. Always use pyrethrin treatment on your clothes.

It is very sad to hear about your daughter's friend losing her life to Lyme Disease. Prayers will be made.
Sam

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Bad in Kentucky this year too.  Boy and I have both already had one, and I've pulled a good dozen more off before they could attach.  I loathe the little monsters.

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Just got done turkey hunting the WI Northwoods and they are very bad here too.

My son had Lymes disease when he was 6 or 7. He was in bad shape. I thought I was going to lose my firstborn son. The docs figured it out and fixed him up.  He is 100 percent now.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Rhynoskin underneath.  Permithrin on everything you wear.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Picked 51 off of me in the past 4 1/2 days in central Wisconsin.  Unfortunately one latched on before I got it - and, it was a deer tick.  Hopefully I got it in time.  I have pyrethrin but forgot it this trip, that won't happen again.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
Yep wood ticks very common and enough deer ticks to make one consider their Permithrin and other protective actions.  Not going to stop going into the woods.  Had a deer tick in my arm I figure no more than 4 hour +- yesterday.  I'll be watching the spot and looking for symptoms, Health website says 24 to 48 hour for  transmission.  Son was positive for lymes good after treatment, I've been treated twice before but never tested positive. When it drys for a day or two around hear I'll be spraying down more clothing choices for the woods.  Need to be vigilante with ticks!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Just pulled one out of my leg. He was in pretty good, I assume I picked him up looking for arrows this morning.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I just had a nasty occurrence.
I went trout fishing with my youngest son, came home and found a small tick embedded in my inner thigh. I pulled it out and the damn head and a couple of legs styed in my leg.
Totally annoyed, I got out the alcohol, tweezers and a razor blade and removed the rest.
I put triple antibiotic ointment on twice a day.
4 days later it was a raging infection all over my inner thigh. I had a high fever, and the infection was traveling quickly through my leg.
Rushed to the hospital and put on an antibiotic regimen that made me SOOO sick, I thought Id rather have the infection.
4 weeks later, I have a large scar on my thigh, it still itches like crazy, and Ive had trouble concentrating.
They are testing me for a condition called Powassan.
A Northeast tick carried disease similar to Lyme. I tested negative to Lyme, but something is going on. Exhausted all the time, things just aren't quite right.
I'm dealing just fine so far, but man....what a nasty little bugger.
Been bit by hundreds in my life, this one got me good.
David M. Conroy

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Yornoc. Sounds like you didn't have that tick on you very long.

My doctor told me the other day that if the tick is removed within 24 hours, that Lymes can't be transmitted. But I wonder how long all these other diseases take?
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Geez David, I hope they get it under wraps...

How long do yo think you carried the tick imbedded?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
David, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! I hope that they get you fixed up and feeling good again in short order!

Thanks for this thread, Mr. Stewart. It's a good reminder to prevent what we can, and to be thankful for the blessings that we have.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Have encountered more ticks in the last three years than in the 25 previous.  Wife and dog both tested positive for Lyme Disease last year (I was negative) and we are seeing them on our clothes regularly.

I just raised and set to free roam eight guinea fowl for the pasture and yard.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:32:00 AM »
Had two friends go to Missouri for the first week of turkey season and they were ate up with them. They both did a cycle of meds for lymes, but you should see the bites, looks like boils all over them. Mostly all deer ticks. They said you couldn't pay them to go back.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
David,

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year during early Deer season...

I was miserable for two weeks, and tested for everything under the sun. All the doctor could tell me is that it was some sort of bacterial infection.

I certainly feel your pain! Get well!

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
Best of luck and get well soon, YORNOC.

Ticks make me nervous as heck.  Our winters aren't tough enough to stop them up here anymore and they are getting bad in some areas, including where I do most of my hunting.   It's not something us Canucks have had to deal with much so we've all got a lot to learn about prevention and doing tick checks.  I don't always check myself well but I need to start b/c the crap ticks can do to you sounds extremely unpleasant.
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
I bought a pair of tick gaiters because tucking my pants into my socks didn't work real well. The gaiters I got are a little to short so I'm thinking of trying to come up with something else that is longer. The nymph ticks are the worst since they are so small you can't see them. They are in the leaf litter only so you need to keep your boots sprayed and your pants tucked.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
Hope this helps, get a a pencil !

Since I started using Badgers organic bug spray I haven't got a tick "OR" chigger bites ! I'm not saying it's a cure all, but it has been for me. You can spray this on everything including the kids, right on the skin and clothes, you can practically gargle with it but it won't taste too good, a little goes a long way so, don't go by the size of the spray bottle.

Second, if you get a tick bite, and it's not too deep, first try putting a SMIDGE of oil of oregano, essential oil, they back right out all on there own!

If you think you got bit by a tick, spray the area with Colloidal Silver and, start taking that orally as well, until you get to see the doc.

Good luck, hope this helps.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
I wear my pants tucked into my snake boots at all times now. It may look a little goofy but it helps. I use a lot of permethrin spray! We should NEVER be without it. Many of these diseases are bacterial, but some are also viral. From my experience a LOT of doctors in tick infested areas are not particularly knowledgeable about tick borne illnesses. Prevention is still our best bet for safety from these beasts.
Sam

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Rose geranium essential oil works very well.  You can dilute it and put directly onto your skin for an extra layer of protection.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©