3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chaparral Kaibab equivalent?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Chaparral Kaibab equivalent?
« on: May 18, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
So, I'm keeping my eye out to replace my Steve Abbott longbow, and I had the opportunity to shoot a friends Chaparral Kaibab. It's pretty much everything I've been looking for, and shot great for me.

As I understand it, they are no longer in business, so I was wondering if anyone knows what bow(s) would shoot, feel, look, weigh similar to the Kaibabs.
Is there a Chaparral Kaibab equivalent out there?

P.S. Nothing wrong with my Abbott, and I'd just as soon replace mine with another one. I love this one, but I'd like something a little heavier, in the 50#-52# range, and a little shorter like 62"-64". I love how my 68" shoots, but it just gets unwieldy sometimes.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chaparral Kaibab equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Considered selling my Abbott (not to your specs 66" 45# @28") but when I heard Steve had passed decided to keep it. Test drove a Kaibab years ago, but that has been a while not sure what would compare. I have a Chapperal recurve, don't recall what they called those, my son has it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
It's been a while,can't remember for sure what the profile looked like.I would take a look at a Kanati? I believe he makes them up to a 62" bow?I had a 60" Kanati,a fine shooing bow! I meet Steve and shot his bows and had one years ago.Wish I did not trade it,miss that bow!

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks, but the Kanati looks a lot more aggressive in it's R/D design, or maybe it has more of a reverse handle?

Having looked around a little, the Toelke Whip actually looks pretty similar, but I'm in no position to spend $800 on a bow.

I really love the Abbotts and it will be hard for me to let it go, especially since Mr. Abbott is no longer with us, but this one in particular just doesn't suit me as well as the other Abbotts I've shot.

Anyone else familiar with the Chaparrals?

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
If you do a quick search in the classifieds, there are a few Whip's at your desired specs in the low $500 range. A few don't look like they've sold yet and are only a month or two old postings, could be worth checking out!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
I recently looked at a Black Creek Banshee and the lines were very much like the Chaparral,you might want to take a look.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
The Kaibab is a nice bow. It has been a good friends go to bow for many years.

It might be difficult to find an exact match to his bows but I think a Big Jim Buffalo Bow, Black widow long bow, Thuderstick Moab or even a Big river 21st century design would suit you.  I know you dont want to spend 800 but most of these bows can be found used between 300-600.

Also, I agree, the Black Creek Banshee is pretty close.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
I own two Chaparral Kaibabs, luv'm... One a take down model although I usually hunt with the lighter weight, one-piece... They're about the only bows I've hunted with for the past few years...

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
The Kaibab is a nice bow. It has been a good friends go to bow for many years.

It might be difficult to find an exact match to his bows but I think a Big Jim Buffalo Bow, Black widow long bow, Thuderstick Moab or even a Big river 21st century design would suit you.  I know you dont want to spend 800 but most of these bows can be found used between 300-600.

Also, I agree, the Black Creek Banshee is pretty close.
Well dang, now you got me looking at Big Jim's Buffalo which also looks and sounds like a nice bow. Makes me wish I new someone who owned one so I could shoot it. I'll have a look at the others you mentioned as well.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I think Jim Belcher bought out the Chapparral Kaibab line, and for awhile sold this as a Belcher bow.  He is now in business as Sky Archery.  You might check out the Sky bows and I suspect you will find a Kaibab equivalent.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:56:00 AM »
Well the Sky longhorn does look similar. I sent Mr. Belcher an email to find out if it's true. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 02:18:00 AM »
Well I finally got a reply to my email and it's a definite no.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Liberty Edge? From pictures it looks almost identical to the Kaibab.
I'm going to see if he'll send me a test bow.

P.S. Been testing quite a few bows, and man, Holm Made Osprey has the nicest grip I've wrapped my hands around. It's no Kaibab replacement, but it's in the lead right now.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
The maddog praire predator has very similar lines and is a dream to shoot
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Ok, just to update this thread for anyone who finds it in the future.

I feel comfortable saying that I found a comparable replacement for the Chaparral Kaibab. The Liberty Edge has nearly the same shape and dimensions, and looks to have the same lamination construction in the limbs. And It shoots a dream! I couldn't hardly tell the difference when shooting it next to the kaibab.

The only notable difference is the handle shape, and I have to say that I actually like the Edge grip better. It places your hand closer to the shelf and has a slightly higher wrist. I actually like a slightly lower wrist, but it didn't affect my shooting at all, in fact I consistently had arrows from one bow touching the arrows shot from the other. The only thing I would change is that I would ask Allen to stop the stippling a little higher. The bottom two rows of stippling kind of dug into my palm a little too much for my liking.

I still think the Holm Made Osprey has the best grip I've ever used, but the bow itself wasn't quite what I was looking for. Not that I would be unhappy to own one. In fact, my brother liked the test bow that was sent so much, he bought it. He wouldn't let me send it back, lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©