3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: head on shots  (Read 1079 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: head on shots
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
I passed on this shot at 12 yards last month at a bull elk. I ate tag soup on that hunt. I caught absolute hell from the boys at camp for passing. I can live with myself for the pass, but if I stick that bull and it turns out bad, I'd eat my own guts for a whole year. Things can go bad when the animal is in perfect position...it certainly will go bad if the angle sucks and there's a sternum in the way!
Mike Davenport

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I'm taking a pass on a front on shot. I've always passed on these shots with archery tackle.

I shot a deer once straight down between the shoulder blades. He got a way. I'll not take that shot again, either.

You do what you think is right, but don't tell me about it or I'm gonna' react like Paul.

Offline Juniper Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
This is really a personal decision. I passed on this same shot a few days ago, got chewed out for passing on a "good" shot by my friend. He would have shot, I'll continue to pass on such shots.
Here are some things that do not seem to be refuted:
1) Frontal shots have a smaller target area than broadside.
2) Chances of hitting the guts with this shot are increased.
3) Chances of pass through (additional blood) are decreased.
And here are some things that not everyone may agree with, but are my opinion.
1) The brisket and ribcage is at an angle that will often deflect an arrow (or even bullet for that matter).
2) If an arrow does go into that little hole and travel through the chest it will be a quick, humane death.
I am a begginer, but have been going with experienced hunting buddies who have dealt with this issue (with varying results).

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
I wouldnt even take the shot with a high powered rifle.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks for your input to the thread (im the one who started it). When i started this thread i didnt mean to imply i was thinking of taking the shot, and as i said i have always passed on it (just because my Dad has always told me to every since i started hunting even with a gun). I am 18 and have been hunting since i was 12 i have killed 27 deer with my bow and countless small game in that time, with no misses or gut shots (lucky, very lucky, so i wouldnt consider my self as a "new" bow hunter as Mr.Brunner said) and although i know the shot is a lethal one, which has been proven by posts from people on here. Obviosly this is a touchy subject. So i am sorry if this has upset any one on this site...Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Also i would like to add to my previous statement i started the thread just to here peoples views and opnions about the shot, negative and positive. Isnt that what this site is about? to learn from others? ask questions? share experinces? please correct me if im wrong...Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
C2,
Read Dr. Ashby's articles about shot selection and penetration results, etc. (at top of Pow wow column) He has some really good data. Perhaps you'll change your mind about that shot.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Considering that one lung would be a great outcome on this type of shot, I will pass.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
All my BS'ing aside, here's my experience with head on shots.  All firearms.  1 rifle load through the spine on a small buck dropped him.  One 12 gauge slug through the spine practically flipped another buck.  One 12 gauge slug from 10 yards grazed a nice buck's chin as he suddenly dipped his head.  The slug was deflected enough to pass only through the shoulder.  He took off immediately on 3 legs and the only thing that kept me from a longer tracking job was a lucky running shot through the boiler room.  

Seems to me like a lot can happen between the time you decide to shoot and the time the arrow gets to the deer.  I like a little more margin of error.  I've passed on every frontal shot with a bow.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Your question was fine. There's no reason you shouldn't have asked it, Curtis.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "ETHICS"- it has everything to do with common sense.

To everyone considering this as a shot to take:

If getting game at all costs is what we are here for, why not hunt with a firearm? In other words, if killing that critter is such an absolute must that you would consider a marginal shot opportunity because you HAVE to kill it, why not use guns?

Fawns? Who are you kidding? You shoot fawns enough that you would even bring that into this discussion? How many pictures of dead fawns have we seen on this site? Most people are not shooting fawns..they're talking about mature animals.

A normal big game animal's chest is certainly wide enough that if your chest-on shot arrow doesn't hit within a 3 inch circle, its certainly a good chance you will one lung that critter. Add to that the animal is facing you and can react quicker than your arrow can get to it! I don't know how many one lunged animals you've tracked...but in my life I've had a belly full, and I don't want any more.

Combined with personal hunting(and being in Georgia with 10 to 12 tags per season),our nine year old urban deer hunting program has allowed me to participate in nearly a thousand whitetail tracking jobs...thirty or forty of them have been one lunged, shooting at the side of the animal!  

I can tell you that if one of our members took a head on shot, he/she would be on the street so fast their head would spin.

Respect for a living animal is always uppermost in the minds of most hunters I know- and in every hunter I share my camp with. And it shouldn't matter if its a fawn, a yearling, a mature animal, or a world record.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
I get a kick out of this delima.  On the good old boy videos you have Stan Potts.  I watched one video where a huge buck walked by him 3 times at less than 15 yds. and he never let go of an arrow as he held at full draw making noises that sounded like a bad bowel movement.  Afte the deer left he said "Folks I passed on that walking deer because a game animal is to important to take risky shots on."  I would have drilled that deer the first go by since I like a walking shot.  Two season later he had a 200+" buck come in and turn head on and he whispers, "I'm taking him"  and then shoots him.  He turns towards the camera and say, "Folks I never would have taken a shot like that but he was too big to let walk!"  So I guess size sometimes dictates reason???

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Longbowman, thats exactly why I no longer buy/watch most hunting videos.

A hunters sense of ethics and reason should apply to ANY animal taken regardless of size, rack, score, etc.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Curtis,I see no reason you should appologize.You had a question and you asked it.I dont know anyone who has ever taken this shot nor have I but I too was wondering what the results would be.Im glad you asked,thanks.And John Scifres,,,I like the sound of you wolf hunting preserve, would you take me? Ill bring Britney and the Hiltons and well air it on the Spike channel.
                         Izzy

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
I think it was a good question and I for one am glad he asked it.  If you don't ask, you don't learn.

Unfortunately this one sure brought out a rash of strong comments!  LOL Problem is the ethics police showed up in force too and a few should be downright ashamed of themselves.    :smileystooges:  

Instead of just giving an honest answer to the question, some  decided that it was better to crucify the one asking it.  :knothead:    Sure doesn't do much for the free flow of ideas on this site now does it?.    :rolleyes:  

Perhaps a better way would be to explain the reasons for your opinions rather hitting the one who asked the question over the head with them.

Just a thought.........
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Being as short as Too short is, he would have to aim up in such an angle that the arrow would come out the animal a$$ and fly wrecklessly into the air so I see his point.
But us average height guys have taken and made plenty such shots with sucess. Plus makes for an easier cleaning job when everything falls out.  :D
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
I personally did this ONCE. Never, ever, ever , will I do it again.I was still shooting a 75# wheely bow. I had a doe coming down the trail right at me I got antsey put the arrow a 30" 2216 or a 2219 dead center of her chest. She took off arrow burried up to the vanes blocking the entry hole. NO Blood what so ever. I looked for hours and never found that deer.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Perfectly spoken, Longbowz.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
It depends on the angle of the head on shot, sorry but it does. I shot a nice buck a few years ago and I was in a ladder about 8ft. up. He put his head down and I put one along his spine and it came out by his sack. Got one lung, diaphram and liver. He went about 30 yards, would I do it again, yup it is a fairly simple shot. If I was 3 ft. lower I would not of attempted it. Ethics, are not for us to decide because people are different we will be judged later on. I believe the owner of Rancho Safari's (Cat quivers and such) said he took plenty of shots over 80  yards at animals in his career. He said ya cannot kill'em if ya do not shoot at them and that was in a TBM article, agree or disagree who are we to judge? Shawn
Shawn

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
I have taken that shot over the years 3 diffrent times and recovered all 3 deer but I had a very hard time on the recovery and swore to my self I wouldnt take it again after the last one . The first was with a shotgun at 20 yards and the deer ran about 200 yards , the second was with a compound at 15 yards and the arrows hit him dead in the center of the chest . I was on the ground so the arrow went thru his body long ways and came out his hip near his tail , but still the deer ran about 200 yards . The last was with a rifle at about 50 yards and the bullet hit a little left of center so it wound up taking his frount shoulder almost completly off but the deer still ran about 100 yards . That was early in my hunting days so I learned that although it looks like a great shot it is about the worst shot that you could take .

Mike Britt
PS : The only dumb question is the one never asked so dont worry about asking questions .
" Live long and prosper "

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
well, I have taken that shot 2 times, and got the animal both times( with my wheels, Before I made the transition to traditional), I was lucky and will never do it again. The margin of error was to great, I was alot younger then and since then have realized how dumd that was. Take someones advise that has done it, DONT, good luck this season
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©