3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on Set up of Hill Style Bow....  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on Set up of Hill Style Bow....
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Hey all,

I'm shooting a Hill style bow, a 66 inch Dave Johnson, and am needing to know how to set it up for my shooting.

I am told that it is recommended to have a 5 3/4 brace height and a nock point that is 3/16 above center.

I just went out and shot some like that and it is totally not working for me.

The nock point is definitely going to have to go higher as my arrows are a mix of aluminum and carbon and they are flying all over the place.  I have to find a happy medium here.

As for the brace height, I am getting the HADES slapped out of my wrist.  I don't like it a bit.  I have never had to use an arm guard before and I don't want to start now.  I thought that 5 3/4 sounded awfully low, but who am I to pass judgement on these Hill style bows?

So...can you all give me some advice on it?

Thank you kindly.

Nalajr

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on Set up of Hill Style Bow....
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
#1~~~Buy an armguard, no way around that one...
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
#2~~~Watch all of these videos on Youtube by John Schulz and follow his instructions

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
#3~~~Shooting a Hill Style bow has a specific form-style.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Are your arrows even close to the right spine?? I prefer a higher brace, like 6 1/2 to 7. I shoot 3 under so my nock is also higher. Don't get discouraged......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
On ASL's (Hill style) I like 6.5-6.75" BH
Also, a lot say that they require a specific style to shoot them well, I don agree.
I shoot mine the same as my R/d and ILF rig. Use your style, tune it up to your preference
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
6 3/4 brace height, give or take a little, nock point 5/8-inch above the shelf (nock under the nock point) .  Of course, you'll want correctly spined arrows

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
I shoot all of my Hill and Hill style longbows at 6 3/4 to 7" brace height.  No way could I shoot as low as you are trying to shoot.  I set my nock point at 5/8" above square.  I shoot split finger style and with that set up I can shoot wood, carbon, aluminum with no issues.  I match wood spine to the draw weight I am pulling but cut my arrows an inch longer than my draw.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
ASL is only bow I have HAD to use an armgard. I have a natural bend in my bow arm and still get stung enough to want one. The grip is very, very important also.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
I shoot a 7inch brace height here and a slight bend at the elbow so far I only get slapped if I forget and grip the bow wrong.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
My arrows are right.  I am shooting this one the same way I shot the 2 pass around Hill Style bows that the thread posted here is about.  One was his English bow and the other a Sherwood.  Both great bows.

The brace height on this one is much lower than those were.  I've never shot a bow that had a 5 3/4 inch brace height and it seemed awfully low.  I think that is part of the reason I am getting string slap.  On the 2 pass around bows I only had it slap me maybe 4 or 5 times and then no more.

I know I'll end up getting an armguard though.

Gonna change the brace height and nock height and see how it shoots tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Nalajr

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
I had a fellow a couple of years ago come over with carbons with the exact same complaints. He used the Stu Miller guide for reflex/deflex. He argued with me about the arm guard. His nocks were tight. He was twisting both hands during the draw. He should have had a shorter draw than the one he was trying and failing to reach. He was bridging his grip. I showed him my Hill dvds and my Schulz dvd. Got some arrows that would match his proper Hill draw and bow, gave him an arm guard and shooting glove, started from scratch and after about fifty shot, his arrows were flying.  Two weeks later we crossed paths, he was back to using the stiff carbons, he had welts on his arm,he was back to using his cheap tab and not getting his arrows to fly.  He has since gone back to the dark side, but has not returned the arm guard, shooting glove and arrows that I gave him. The same thing happened with the last two that I completely outfitted, they went back to only using rifles and chasing deer with pickups. I am done giving away my stuff.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:00 AM »
Oh I am not going anywhere.  When I was shooting those bows from Alan Boice from Liberty Bows I was shooting right where I looked for the first time ever.  I want that again and I'll get there too.  I might have to do it with an armguard, but that's OK.

I'm going to see how the new brace height of 6 3/4 inches works along with the higher nock point of 5/8.  I am hoping that I can get all my arrows to fly good with this bow, but I realize I might have to just shoot 1 type of arrow with it and get the best flight I can and stay with that.

I want to try wood arrows too.  I've never had a wood arrow.

Nalajr

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
I shoot longbows that I make myself for the most part but I also have a Schulz made Hill and a J.D.Berry "Vixen". All do great with a brace height of 5 7/8" to 6".

Properly tillered longbows seldom (if ever) need more than a 3/16" nock point height.

I've never understood the aversion to armguards that I see these days. Until compounds became popular an armguard was part of EVERYBODY'S kit.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Lots of good advice given already. I shoot a higher brace height than you list. Essentially, I adjust brace height till I get good arrow flight combined with reasonable quietness. When I find that balance, I leave brace height right there, whatever the measurement may be. Also, as mentioned, wear an arm guard. Yeah, you're gonna get slapped every once in a while. I shoot with a slight arm bend as is often recommended by the experts. Don't hesitate to tinker around with these things. Sometimes, your individual style may call for adjustments that differ a bit from what many others say. Just use common sense. But if you are WAY out of the ordinary, you may have some form issues.
Sam

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Charlie, how close to center do you cut your long bows ?
ChuckC

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
You need shoot the HILL out of that bow until you find the sweet spot!

Don't worry with number until if feels right, then see what they are in the end.

SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT! and then SHOOT some more!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Most of my asl bh's are set between 6 3/8 and 6 1/2. The nocking point is set at 3/16 for nocking above the nocking point.

Keeping my bow arm slightly bent avoids the elbow pain I'd get when shooting recurves & r/d bows straight arm and allows me to shoot most of the time without an arm guard.The only time I need an arm guard is when I'm wearing my coat.
Chuck

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
What gpp are you shooting? I find that if its a bit low I get more string slap and recoil. As well as a bit more noise.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Bluegoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
Nala,

Dave Johnson's bows are made to shoot a little lower brace height. The other ASLs I own or have owned shoot best at or over 1/2 higher brace height than the Johnsons. I've owned 4 of Dave Johnson's bows and still have 2.

Hang in there with it. Nothing wrong with arm guards and they are great for keeping bulky sleeves out of the way in cooler weather, and when making tough shots.
Dave Johnson ASL 68" 50#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©