3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else arrow obsess?  (Read 800 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone else arrow obsess?
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
It's that time of year again. I'm outside on my elevated porch shooting broadhead tipped arrow combinations at unsuspecting dandelions.  Every night it's a handful of arrows seeing how they respond to the different wind conditions trying to finalize arrows for this falls hunt.  Anyone else suffer this addiction?  Anyone else have carbon, wood, and aluminum tuned and ready this early in the year?  It won't be long and I'll finally decide what will get hunted this year.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else arrow obsess?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
I'm messing with some aluminum arrows after years of shooting wood, killed my first couple deer with the heavy metals and looking forward to trying again.

I'm at camp every weekend shooting different combos, trying to decide which one I like best...

Fun stuff.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
I always have arrows tuned and ready to go. I'm always on the lookout for whatever hunt becomes available to me!

Bisch

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
dude you have no idea. Do I want light carbons? Heavy aluminums? Pretty wood shafts? Split, 3 under,...is my brace heights just right? are you sure that nock point is good. Lol and on and on!

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I just footed some easton axis traditional shafts after seeing the thread on here, just had to try it. Went out and shot them this weekend with several different broadheads. I was vey impressed by how well they flew. They could not have shot any better. My dad was so impressed he said he would split a half dozen with me. You are not alone in your addiction. Figuring out the perfect arrow combination is a blast.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
it never stops. its an addiction like no other.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
YES I actually take notes during my practice sessions and pay very close attention to how my arrows are acting or reacting. I have plugged into my phone all my bows with their matching arrow combinations. So I know what arrow set up to use with which bow!

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Yeah. I'm horrible. I've got two arrows that tune awesome. One 508grains and one 636grains. Now I'm obsessing over fletching, three 4" or four 2" and on which arrow with how much helical... How do they handle the broadheads. How about field points? 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards. Then cresting, do I want them plain? Just stripes? Full dip with stripes? I've been a madman the last couple weeks haha
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 01:49:00 AM »
I need broad heads ready all year long. I was test flying some last night. Making arrows is addictive.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
I am relatively new into the arrow obsession thing but it is nailing me! Shooting, reading, tinkering, questioning, tossing in my sleep, day dreaming at work, doing the math...

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I didn't even know it was dandelion season !   :confused:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
I shoot carbons.  Once I get the combo right, i'm done.   No use over thinking it
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Njloco, the city folks spend a fortune trying to rid their yards of dandelions. It's by far my favorite target, few things more satisfying then watching the poof or seeing that yellow head get nailed!  Also tasty on a salad but I rarely have time to do that, I'm to busy shooting!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Awbow your taking half the fun out man! You gotta try some xx75's and some woodies too. The newest project is building a set of wood and aluminum that are close enough in weight and spine as to be interchangeable out to 30-40 yards.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
I lock into my arrows much quicker than choosing the bow.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
As long as you're enjoying it, go for it!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Bought a bunch of aluminums last weekend at Baltimore shoot. 2018s,2016s,1816s, etc. Going to have a lot of fun seeing which ones fit which bow. This is one of the great things about trad archery. With wheels, it's just pick up a dozen arrows and go hunt. No need to tune. Have to fill up my retirement time somehow.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
That's one thing I have locked on to. Easton Legacy's - don't have any plans on changing. Now points, that's a different story!
SWA Spyder

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Yep,
I'm always stuck between carbon spines. And haven't been able to get exactly what I want in tune and arrow weight for a long time. So that makes for a lot of testing and buying of shafts. Been on the verge of perfect arrow flight the last 2 weeks with some new GT .340s and the longer 50 grain aluminum adapters. Actually I thought I did have it perfect. Then it cooled off about 35 degrees and suddenly they show a little weak? What the hell! Thinking about cutting some off this evening.
It's a fine line these carbons! Tweaking arrow length, the nock height, brace, how deep to hook, how tight should the nock fit the string...etc.
Tedd

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Ive stuck with the same arrow for a few years, Beman MFX 500s but before that was always a combo in my quiver. I kill several dandelions a day, they tremble when the sliding door opens. They don't stand a chance against an SGT tipped MFX.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©