3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Glue for Shelf and Side Plate??  (Read 750 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What Glue for Shelf and Side Plate??
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Hey all,

Was out shooting my bow this evening and my arrows were catching on the leather side "plate."  In fact after about 5 shots I looked at it and it was about 1/2 off.  The leather is pretty thin.  This is a Hill style bow.

I'm leery of using Super Glue to secure it because one day I'll have to replace these pieces and I don't want it to be difficult to get off.  I guess Super Glue would also leave a residue which would also be hard to remove without doing at least some damage to the finish that would have to also be fixed.

So...can you all tell me what glue I can get to hold this thin leather material in place where I won't have to fool with it again until I want to take it off?

Thanks all for the help.

Nalajr

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Glue for Shelf and Side Plate??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:58:00 AM »
Barges or Weldwood contact cement.

God bless, Steve

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:57:00 AM »
Listen to Steve! He's a master bowyer, and knows his stuff! Barge cement and the like is also easily cleaned off when it's again time to replace the shelf and or strike plate material.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
Barge is the proper glue,but I have used a lot of times Fletch Tite when in the need with out any issues.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »
Right, Barge cement is the thing. Will rub off with your finger when you want to remove it--- almost like rubber glue.Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »
Barge Cement is awesome.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »
had the same issue, I even tried an aerospace three part glue they use to mount strain gauges.
what worked was double sided tape
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Something I've been doing for a while is to glue (Weldwood Contact Cement)my leather pieces to the back of Duct Tape. Easy on, easy off. Sticks until you want it to come off.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Charlie, thanks for the tip. I just bought a huge roll of duct tape. I use Barge glue as well for my leather work.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
I really like Charlies idea. I use Velcro and love it for both side plate and matt. First word I taught my great grandson ,Velcro. He knew what it was too. Funnier than all get out.

God bless, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Barges or Weldwood contact cement.

God bless, Steve
Absolutely!

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Definitely do NOT use Duco! Don't ask how I know. But Barge cement works fine.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Heck I can't find the darn stuff around here.  I've checked with ACE, True Value, LOWES, Home Depot and WalMart and none of them have it.

I am thinking Tandy Leather probably has it.  I'll likely have to drive across town and get it there.

I do like the Duct Tape idea too.  I've heard that the GORILLA TAPE is some very good stuff and strong as can be.  It might be too strong for this application though.  I'd hate to use it and have it take off some of the finish.  Anyone ever used that brand of "duct" tape?

Nalajr

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
Any contact cement will work fine - basically same as Barge. I use Weldwood DAP from True-Value.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 03:38:00 AM »
I've got some Weldwood Contact cement but the areas I am wanting to secure are small.  There really isn't much room to put it on both the leather grip and the riser and hold it apart for 15 or 20   minutes and then push it together.

I am wanting to glue the top edges of the grip wrap that didn't get the glue when the bow was made.  It is only maybe 1/8 of an inch strip at the top edge of the grip wrap that I need to glue, then there are a couple areas the same size at the bottom edge of the grip wrap.

So..I know Super Glue will hold it better than anything else, but I don't want to get it on the finish of the riser and then have to try and get it off at some point in the future when I want to replace the grip with a thicker leather.  I think the Super Glue would be tough to get off and harm the finish.

If anyone can tell me for sure that it won't hurt the finish on the bow or is easy to get off the wood, I'll use it.

Thanks again all.

Nalajr

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 04:07:00 AM »
The barge cement does not need that length of time to be ready to bond!  My suggestion is to use a toothpick to smear the glue on the two surfaces. Then again, use toothpicks to keep them separated for like 5-10 minutes (at room temp), remove the toothpicks and press and work the mating surfaces together. This should work well enough for the grip, and it will be easy enough to clean up the excess after it dries. Barge is rather simple to work with. If you wait the full 15-20min, as soon as it touches the other surface, it will want to bond. If you only wait 5-10min, you should be able to work it into the shape you want, and it will still hold until you are ready to remove it.  Do not use super-glue on the finish of a bow, as it can damage or discolor it!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
What Pheonixarcher suggested. Use fresh toothpicks to keep separated.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bull Elk

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
The overwhelming advice is: Barge barge barge. Look for it at the local shoe repair shop.
Jim

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Barge, Barge, Barge.  You don't need to bother with applying it to both surfaces-- just apply it thinly to the backside of your leather pieces and press into place.

Ace Hardware has it.  If you can't find the Barge brand at your local Ace, they may have "Devcon Rubber Adhesive".  It's in a 2-oz tube; the tube is white and lime green.  This stuff is very similar to Barge (looks and smells the same), but I think the Barge holds better.  The Devcon stuff might work better if you apply to both surfaces and let it tack up before adhering the leather piece(s) to the bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
Didn't see Phoenix' thread before I posted.  Deleted mine because he said all that's necessary.  I do what he does.  Will work for you as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©