3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder issues  (Read 697 times)

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder issues
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
I recently had to go through shoulder surgery. I had a torn rotator cuff and bicep tendon repaired. The surgeon also removed a half inch of my collar bone and "cleaned out" the bursa. He told me I need to reevaluate my fitness goals and make some lifestyle changes. I asked about shooting a bow and he said "we'll see". Anyone had anything similar?  It's my left bow arm, right handed shooter.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder issues
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
I have had that same surgery on both my shoulders.  I still shoot daily.  It's all about the rehab and then maintaining the muscle strength.  I also keep my draw weight at around #45.
T ZZZZ

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
I've had two surgeries on my left shoulder , one in 2005 and bicep tendon repair and clean up in 2013 . I'm back to shooting 55-60 lbs bows now. I followed the surgeons and physical therapists instructions and had a good outcome . The first surgeon  did not do a  complete job in 2005 and the second surgeon had to fix his mistake . I could not shoot much from 2005 until 2013 I had to limit my practice to a few shots so that I didn't over do it but I can shoot as much as I want now.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
I am glad to hear that you guys have had some good results. I have just recently had the doctor take a look at my left shoulder. So far, steroid treatment has been all we have tried, and it has not helped. Heat and cold has eased it for short periods of time. The next step will probably be MRI to determine if surgery may be on the horizon. DMM, I hope you will rehab successfully and will be pulling the bow again soon.
Sam

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Ruta Graveolens !, Arnica Montana ! In pill and cream form. Indian clubs, they're only about 2-3 thousand years old.

Good luck !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
Sam,
Hopefully you don't need the surgery or it is something minor. I'm sure these other guys will tell you the PT isn't even slightly pleasant.
I really hope I bounce back the way you guys have.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Good luck with your rehab and recovery!

I hope it all goes well, and you get back to shooting ASAP!

Bisch

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Had the identical surgery except the collar bone 10/31/14.  Was shooting a very light bow after 10 weeks, continued PT and gradually increased bow weight, after six months I'm shooting my original hunting bow weight with zero issues.  I continue strength training as a way of life.  FYI turned 65 in April. Be positive, work hard and good luck.  Mark
"They're all trophies"

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I started a thread along these lines a few pages back. I had my third rotator cuff repair in January. The rehab is as important as the knife work. Full healing (for me) won't be for a full year, I'm 64 years old, so that may play into it. Years a go guys would not get the surgery since it meant an end to archery. Modern techniques have changed that. I hope to be back in time for deer, if not Spring turkies...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Lassiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
I had a rotator cuff tear repaired last summer. No big deal I had two others repaired in the past. But this time I got a staph infection in it that took a long time and four other surgeries to get cleared up. It's a long sad story but the bottom line is my left arm was in a sling for four months before I could start to rehab it. It took a lot of work before I could even raise my left hand out of my lap while I was in my recliner. It's still not back to where I was before I jacked it up last spring but it's getting there. I'm 63 years old and shot a 60# Martin Hatfield when all this started now I'm back up to a 45# bow without much trouble and I can even shoot my 50# longbow a few times. Stay with the rehab and you'll get to where you want to be.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
8-9 years ago playing softball I did a Pete Rose style head first slide into home.....mistake.
 I couldn't even move my arm upward for ten days but I did avoid the surgery, doc said it was marginal and an option. I was sure I was done shooting and sold all but a few bows that I've owned for 40+ years. That was the second mistake.
  I did heal up and started shooting lighter bows and eventually worked my way back to 50-55# bows.
   My advice, work with it and be patient.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Here is something that will take all the pressure off your bow shoulder..... Sometimes its now how MUCH weight you are drawing as much as how you are drawing the bow that can really hurt your shoulder....

I know several guys that have torn rotor cuffs and worse that have adopted a "rotational draw" system and now are shooting 50# bows with no pain what so ever....  

Check out this video. This guy really exaggerates the process to show you how to use your back muscles instead of your arms to draw the bow.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
^^^^^^That's Moebow, and that is the drawing method that I use, except I have a little more swing draw incorporated into my routine.! He has a lot of really good videos that will make just about anybody a better archer!

Bisch

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
life extension has supercircumen a product that is supposed to bring down inflammation.Also a blood test for c reactive protein will indicate inflammation there are dietary changes to help.No im not a doctor but I have osteo artheritis.cbd derived from marijuana is also a powerful anti inflammatory and you wont get high using it.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
My doctor says I need surgery on my right shoulder where a couple years ago I broke my shoulder in three places and one of the bones grew back unevenly and is digging into my rotator cuff. I haven't decided what I will do yet.
Good luck with your shoulder hope all works out for you.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Kirk is right as usual.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
So glad that my rotator cuff tendons are in great shape.  I had the same resection of the distal clavicle that you did(injured it badly yanking a saddle off of a bucking horse), and was shooting a 45# bow in around a week, and not long after back up to my normal weights.  Good luck with the rehab.  Having that clavicle gone will at least minimize some of the possible impingment on your cuff.

Offline Recurve Amigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
I dislocated my shoulder 23 years ago and can shoulder press 165# but I will only do it once or twice. When I work out doing the clean and press I'm doing 100#s which involves 30 reps. Also if I am shooting alot I practice with a 45# bow , but take a few shots with my 55 to 60# bows. I think most people practice shooting too much with heavy bows. So if you are shooting heavy bows 200 times fatigue happens quicker and you get a repetitive motion injure because you start using different muscles. So don't be scared to practice with lighter bows to prevent fatigue injuries. When I was younger I use to force up alot of weight. I build strength not grit.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
I had all of the above mentioned stuff done to my shoulder 4 months ago. I probably overdid rehab and did more harm than good. I am out of official rehab but inserted a lot of the exercises into my gym routine.

I can shoot a 38# bow with no problems but don't have a bow to shoot at a poundage between what I am shooting now and my normal 50/55# bows.

I have lost some range of movement, particularly above my head and behind my back and can still get my shoulder really irritated and pain racked pretty easily. I am only 4 months out from surgery, hopefully things will get better.

If you are on the fence about whether to have surgery or not, I would recommend rehab first for run of the mill problems to see if you can get things working again without surgery.

The recovery from my surgery has been the most difficult thing I have faced so far, it hasn't been a picnic.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
I was told a week ago after finally getting an MRI that I am going to need surgery on my drawing arm shoulder. I have a chunk of cartilage floating around and a possible labrum tear. I told the doc if I get drawn for an elk tag, the surgery will have to wait. It is getting painfully hard to draw my 60# bows though. I have surgery scheduled for 6/24/15, and I find out about the tag on May 29th.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©