3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy Hunter arrows  (Read 476 times)

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy Hunter arrows
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
I didn't want to hijack Bobs wieght up front post with my question.

I have heard that HH arrows due to their
weigth show stiffer than you would expect compared to most other arrows.
Is this the case? What set ups are out there using these shafts?

I use full length .400s now with stock insert and 200 gr. tip out of my #47 at 29" bow. Total arrow is 475 gr.

I was advised to get the .500 Heavy Hitters with the 100 gr. insert if I was going to try them out..

My next limbs I make will be low 50's..

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy Hunter arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
The weakest heavy hunter is the 3555. It is going to be too stiff for your low 50lb limbs as well. with your set up, I would suggest staying clear of the HH and stick with the regular trads. It will allow you to have more front weight and you will be much happier...Just my opinion mind you.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
Lou- I definitely found that the heavier weight up front has helped with the stiffness of these arrows.  Before, my arrows (150gr. up front) were grouping well but "fish-tailed" like a pick-up truck in the snow when in flight. Went from 150gr. to 215gr. up front and now have a slower but more stable arrow flight.  Actually getting deeper penetration into my burlap target as well.  By no means do I feel like I totally know what I am doing yet with arrow calculations but having fun tinkering!

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
My experience with the Heavy Hitters is they are a bit weaker than the standard GT shafts with the same spine rating.  I've also run the shafts through Stu Millers calculator and he shows the dynamic spine of the HH shaft to be about 3-5% weaker than the same rated regular GT shaft.  My comparison was with a 3555 'standard' shaft and the same spine HH with an overall length of 29".

If you like the mass weight of the HH, you might also consider playing a bit with overall length.  For example, if I go a half inch longer in length, the dynamic spine of my set up goes down 6-7%.  Most setups can go longer with no problem.  Shorter is a different issue.  So you have an option to go along with changing point weight.

But be aware going with the HH you will see a velocity drop of around 15% compared to a standard GT with all the same point weight, etc.  I'm not advocating speed, just saying there are always tradeoffs.

When you absolutely have to have a heavier arrow, the HH is the easy way to get it vs. weight tubes and other options with the standard shaft.

I think the point BigJim is making is you will have a wider range of options and likely get better overall performance with the standard Gold Tips vs. the HH option given the draw weights you are working with.  As usual, BigJim is right.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
The HH shafts are slightly larger (very slight) moving them away from center a tad. Also being so much heavier the will be slower and act stiffer...I would bet that if you are experiencing a weaker read on them then your standard 3555's than you are likely seeing a false read...Yes, nock left is weak and nock right is stiff for a RH shooter...usually, but when the arrow makes contact with the bow because it is too stiff, it will kick out to the weak side giving a false reading.

Every set up is slightly different...sometimes surprisingly so.
I'm currently tuning a new Desert Bighorn (bow of my making for myself). It is 55lbs at my 32" draw. I have the side plate adjusted to where my arrow is ever so slightly to the left of center shot. The best flying bare shaft at this point is a full length 3555/500 traditional (not HH) with 211g up front.

I am not convinced however that I'm not experiencing a "false" reading. Just because I get an excellent bare shaft at 20 yards...stranger things have happened. I'm not hearing any arrow contact...but I don't always hear so good besides if the arrow is hitting the shelf or side plate, it won't always be noisy.
And yes, an otherwise poor flying bare shaft can be nocked to it's senses by hitting the bow and then continuing down range giving a "good" bare shaft reading even when it isn't correct. Seen it many times.
keep tuning, Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks Jim. I will follow your advice on the HHs.

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©