3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver effect on fiberglass  (Read 277 times)

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver effect on fiberglass
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
Gents,
I was shooting my bow the other day, strapped on my Selway quiver and when I was done, I pulled it off and noticed a clear spot under the fiberglass in the limb where it was strapped to. Right along the edge of the glass protruding in about 3-4mm in diameter. A tiny spot where the fiberglass came unglued. It's in the riser section of the limb. Sorry I don't have a pic, I'm away from home for the week.
This happen to you before? I may have tightened the strap down a little too much but have never had this happen before.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver effect on fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Should never happen. I've had strap on Thunderhorns and slide on Selways and the only ill effects have been a little finish coming off after a Selway has been in place for a year or more.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Could have been a weak glue spot stressed by the nitrile straps side compression. It's very tiny. Hopefully it will stay tiny. It's deep in the fades, a non stressed area.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
I'd use Loctite 420 or Hot Stuff CA glue to bond & seal that spot.  Hot Stuff comes in 2 or 3 different viscosities-- you want the thinnest (wateriest) one.  Just put a drop on the edge where the separation is, wait just a few seconds, and wipe off the excess from the surface of the bow.  The glue should wick its way into the spot.  You may need to repeat this (probably only once, if at all) to completely fill/seal the separation.

The reason I say to wait just a few seconds before wiping the excess glue away is that you don't want it drying/staying on the exterior surface of the bow.  It's kind of a balance-- you want to give the glue time to wick into the separation, but you don't want remnants on the exterior surface.  You should be able to let it sit for up to 10 seconds or so before wiping away.  If you just use a small drop, hopefully most all of it will wick into the separation anyway.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the info!
When I took a look at the limb, I couldn't see any exterior separation between the glass and wood, strange. Nor any crack in the glass. I'll grab some of that glue just in case. The bow has a pretty stout Thunderbird epoxy finish on it.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©