3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletch /feather color  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletch /feather color
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
I love to watch the arrows fly.  Here is last year's bear hunting arrows...

Everything looks better covered in blood...

And here is this year's moose hunting arrows.  I call these the "MV" fletch...

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
I've also heard that deer see blue.  I'll use blue for target, but not for hunting.  I prefer chartreuse feathers and crown-much easier for me to follow in flight.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
BLUE
you can spot it from a long way.

Im making some squirrel arrows soon and will use blue fletchings and blue cap wraps.
Slickhead

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
I reworked some old alum with Flo Orange wraps, yellow cock feather and bright orange feathers with a bright yellow nock. Of course we have lots of sun here so they showed up great. For low lite I use Flo. Yellow wraps, Flo yellow feathers, and a Flo green nock.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
Wow! Mike Joe and Graps thiose are some fine and highly visible arrows! The pink is nice and bright you surely can't miss them. I was shooting some all white feathers last night and they are  good but I'm thinking maybe yellow or chartreuse maye be the answer, brighter than white but not as shockingly bright as pink. Make sense? Thanks for all your opinions and comments. Keep them coming...

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
By the way Mike tell me more about those MV feathers. Unique. Whats the reason for the drastic angle? Good flight?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
I used to shoot chartreuse but when the leaves start to fall , lots of them are the same color . One day I was stumpin and I had lost an arrow that had just skipped off the top edge of a log , looked for about an hour , found it laying on top in plain sight . Was a black shaft and that's what I finally saw .

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Flo yellow and flo pink for me

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Son of Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
hard to beat pink, or yellow
Accuracy kills every time. Everything else is just numbers.
Mike Schuch

Martin Savanah 50lbs
Bear Montana 50lbs
Prairie Predator 45lbs

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by PBNJ:
By the way Mike tell me more about those MV feathers. Unique. Whats the reason for the drastic angle? Good flight?
I use a high back banana chopper to cut them and at the rear, I cut them 90% to the quill (look at a Fighter Jet, you will see the similarities).  I read all I could on Dr. Ashby's reports and, just to be different, I changed his recommended fletch size with my version of the MV fletch just to make it my own.

I'm shooting 23% or 24% FOC with these arrows, and my bare shafts with 225 grain Tuffhead Broadheads and 75 grain titanium adapters fly awesome.  I added the MV fletch, as Ashby recommendes, for stability.  

A properly tuned arrow with high FOC needs nothing on the rear, that is how guys are able to bare shaft tune their set up.  With a broadhead design like the Tuffhead, you are able to use the mechanical advantage (long and skinny) to your advantage.  

Honestly, everything I do when Bowhunting I've learned by reading off of Tradgang.com and the PBS website along with trial and error.  I believe I now have the Ultimate arrow/broadhead combination for my Longbow for anything I will ever care to hunt from Moose on down.  

Having confidence in your equipment is step 1 in being a Bowhunter.  Step 2 is if you want to kill an animal with a bow, you need to leave the gun at home.  Step 3 is when a hunt of a lifetime hinges on your broadheads, use broadheads that don't have hinges on them.

Here is a pic of my "MV fletch"...

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Mike thats very interesting. You must have your bow tuned to a high degree. I enjoyed your three steps as well. I've been using 5 to 5 and 1/2 inch shield cuts for a long time. I don't do much bare shaft tuning. I might mess with that more this summer. Thanks for you input. It's appreciated. Paul

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Msbow:
Flo yellow and flo pink for me

Been using yellow and white but those are sharp. May have to trade out the white for pink
SWA Spyder

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I primarily use wild turkey feathers with black Super Nocks. It seems hunting with wild turkey fletching or darker fletching that I never have any animals "jump the string". At 3D shoots it makes it very hard for some one to shoot at my arrows, lol... I like the darker fletching, I also have a bunch of red barred fletching that I use from time to time. All of my fletchings are 5" shield cut, I just think the shield cut looks cool.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
I'll always shoot yellow...just like it.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
I have used all yellow or all white for years. Was thinking of orange this year but after reading this I'll stay with my yellow or white.

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Ben what an awesome picture! Love the quiver and the arrows too. And two giant gobblers with paint brushes for beards! I like shield cuts myself...but you need awfully good eyesight to see those arrows in flight!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
I've read that deer see blue pretty well.
..so I don't use blue.
I think blue fletch looks great..but don't use it.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©