3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletch /feather color  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletch /feather color
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by PBNJ:
Ben what an awesome picture! Love the quiver and the arrows too. And two giant gobblers with paint brushes for beards! I like shield cuts myself...but you need awfully good eyesight to see those arrows in flight!
Thank you, the quiver is a Bud's ST Jude Quiver. The quiver has been very good to me. The arrows are GT Blems with home made wild turkey fletching... I am relatively new to trad archery but not to bowhunting, I've always shot dark arrows. As far as seeing my arrows, I usually know where they're going when I loose them, lol.   :goldtooth:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
White, chartreuse, yellow, or bright red. Always the same color for all 3
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
I use all orange. Feathers, wraps, and nocks.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
I think that pink and blue are the easiest to find in woods and grass. I use pink or blue for practice and stumping and fletch up some with natural barred for hunting.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline picapica

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Here's an interesting chart from the 'net that's used by RC aircraft folks:  

Offline picapica

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
And this from a page on ambulance visibility:

Green colours are located in the region of 490-560nm and yellow colours fall between 560-590nm.
During daylight conditions, human visual sensitivity peaks at 555nm, then shifting to 510nm when light is low. The reflectance values for lime-yellow paints (such as DuPont Imron 7741â„¢) peak at 550nm during daylight and between 520-530nm at night.  These reflectance values almost exactly match the peak human sensitivity curve under all viewing conditions (both photopic and scotopic vision).
The eye resolves green-yellow better than any other colour. Green-yellow is unaffected by the Krovkov effect.  The colour performs well in fog and under adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain and overcast skies.  Green-yellow is virtually unknown as a colour in nature and is rare as a motor vehicle colour.  It contrasts with almost every urban and rural background.

Solomon states (p71) that a comparison between DuPont Imron lime-yellow (7744)TM and Imron red (674)TM paints demonstrates that lime-yellow has a peak eye response approximately 4.9 times greater than red during daylight conditions.  At night, the response is approximately 93 times greater, due to red being practicably invisible at night.
In a lateral angle situation when two vehicles are crossing an intersection at 90 degrees to each other, lime-yellow is detected significantly earlier than red, providing a longer time period to react and initiate an avoidance response.:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
When I bowhunt during NY rifle season, it's the only time I use a bow quiver and my arrows are crown dipped Flo Orange w/AMG flo orage feathers.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
White or yellow for me. Yellow for winter roving.

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Joe,another simple yet beautiful set of arrows. Any problems seeing them in low light conditions?I'm happy to see other folks using all the same color fletch like myself. I was starting to feel "weird"! Those color charts are quite interesting also. Apparently a lot of time is put into this color game...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
So would chartreuse be the lime/yellow color referred to??
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
That's my guess monterey. I do see that color the best. That hot pink may be hard to beat though...

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
And, just back from a rove in the spring growth - gotta fletch some more yellows!

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
I use white nocks and white feathers on fluorescent pink wrap. White feathers show up the best in flight and fluorescent pink shows up the best for me on the ground or in an elk.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
according to that color chart orange is excellent.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
It really depends on who makes them one company will call chartreuse, flow green. Another company will call chartreuse flow yellow. The next might call chartreuse, flo lime so it's kind of a guessing game until you get them from somewhere and get the ones you like and know what they call the color you like. Or you can do tons of research.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I always saw white about as well as anything.  Bright yellow, red or orange also worked fairly well for me.  Here lately I have been messing around with lighted nocks and they work really well!  I am going to fletch up some hunting arrows with Black goose feathers and black vanes and just shoot them with a lighted nock.
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
Another reason I like using flo colors is the fact that they glow under uv light. Which has helped me find a lost arrow on several occasions. I wrap about a 2" piece of white reflective tape in front of my wraps and a 3/8's piece on my nock collars which helps locating them with white light.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
It really depends on who makes them one company will call chartreuse, flow green. Another company will call chartreuse flow yellow. The next might call chartreuse, flo lime so it's kind of a guessing game until you get them from somewhere and get the ones you like and know what they call the color you like. Or you can do tons of research.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©