3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Russell Outdoor Guides- Bear Camp Thread  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Russell Outdoor Guides- Bear Camp Thread
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
I will get some details up when I get to my computer.  Still have 17 more hours of driving to do.  Stopping for the night for some shut-eye.
Totally forgot you were driving. OMG. can't wait to hear all about that journey.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:

Originally posted by pdk25:
I will get some details up when I get to my computer.  Still have 17 more hours of driving to do.  Stopping for the night for some shut-eye.
Totally forgot you were driving. OMG. can't wait to hear all about that journey. [/b]
Some of the best thing are worth waiting for.....   :thumbsup:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
Looking forward to the story pat. And love those hound pics.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Congrats Guys, Looking forward to the stories.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »
OK, I just finished a 17 hour leg of driving, with a little over 30 hours logged the last two days, and I am back at home with my dog laying next to me and my computer on my lap.

This post is going to be almost telling two stories.  One, about the bear hunt and camp, the other about my performance on the hunt, which was less than stellar.

For those of you that don't know, Jerry's camp is in the Mastigouche Reserve, around 2.5 hours Northeast of Montreal.  It is a huge tract of land that is bordered by large tracts of land that are off limits to everyone.  It is mountainous and rises up out of farmland, and is an absolutely beautiful piece of property.  As some of you may know, the average size of bears in Quebec is somewhat smaller than those in Manitoba, but this area produces some of the largest in Quebec, and it would be hard to find a better place to hunt.

The accomodations are very nice, with cabins provided that are similar to those found in some of our National Forests.  Hot showers available, and hearty meals provided.

This was the first time that I was able to hunt with Jerry Russell, and he is a top notch guide that is very diligent when it comes to keeping his baits fresh for each group of hunters, and I am sure that the groups to follow will see plenty of bears.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
I think that I a going to try to get some shuteye, and then tomorrow I will post the details of my hunt.  I won't drag it out, but I am pretty tired.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
There were 4 people in my group at camp, all trad archers.  Mike Dutdut, myself, and the father and son duo of Doug and Dave Hill.  The Hills had flown into Montreal from Texas and rented a vehicle and Mike had driven from Illinois.  I communicated with Mike during the trip, and we both ended up spending the night before the hunt at the reasonably priced Hotel Normandie in Louisville, which is around an hour from camp.

We met up with Jerry, his son Luke, and the Hills on Tuesday morning, got our licenses and orientation, and anxiously awaited getting out to the baits for the evening hunt.  If you have checked out any of Jerry's youtube videos, you will be a little familiar with Luke.  He is 17 years old, and a very nice and hardworking young man.  Jerry is doing a great job of showing him the ropes of being a guide, and Luke has experience that is beyond his years.

I told Jerry during the orientation that my biggest concern was shooting a small bear accidentally, and the group went over some of the ways to judge a bears size, the most obvious one being comparison to the bait barrels, with a discussion of the number of hunters that overestimate the size of the bear due to excitement.  I think we all were a little excited from the start, but not beyond what is reasonable.

We headed out to our spots, and were told not to leave our stand for any reason until Jerry returned to pick us up, so as not to chase bears away from the spot(as they were likely close) and ruin the spot for ourselves or future hunters.

We were told how sneaky the bears can be, and each hunter can now confirm that to be the truth.  Much like a mature boar hog, they can approach a bait silently, often stepping in the exact footprint from previous trips to the bait.  We were told to be ready to shoot immediately after being dropped off, as the bears can be very close and come into the bait right after the truck pulls away, and that the bear will smell you, but if you are motionless and silent they will still come in.  Their hearing is very good, and while their eyesight isn't the best, they see motion well.

The stands that we were in ranged from ground blinds to treestands, that were typically around 7-8 feet off of the ground to the platform, to groundblinds.  The bait were set up for shots less than 12 yards, although there are other spots that are longer and more setup for compound shooters when they are in camp.  The baits frequently have creative names from prior hunts.  I wonder if mine will get one after this hunt.

When we arrived at my bait, I got up in my stand and quickly got ready.  I could see that stand from the road, and was told that at this spot, bear were notorious for walking down the road and eyeballing the stand to see if a hunter was in it.  The blackflies, which are notoriously bad at times, were not bad at all, and the mosquitos that were pretty bad were being held at bay from a steady wind.  I didn't need more than my thermocell and the small amount of DEET that I had applied.

The wind made it difficult to hear, and between that and the cooler weather, the bear weren't quite as active as they otherwise would have been, but I was still pretty confident of seeing bear.  A couple hours into the sit, and rain squall came in, and the wind blew my tree pretty good, but I was able to put my rain gear on and stayed dry, although a couple of the guys forgot raingear and got pretty drenched that night.  Putting on the raingear was probably the only real motion that I made that could have messed things up, but I looked around pretty good before starting and it was a heavy enough rain to dampen any noise that I would have made.

I didn't hear or see anything until 8pm, when I heard a branch snap.  I was later told that a bear will sometimes do this on purpose to announce their arrival at a bait to other bears, and I really believe this is what happened.  I looked to my right, and 25 yards in the dark brush, there was a bear looking around, then it started to circle counterclockwise to the bait.  In just a few seconds I heard a boar glonking(?not sure of spelling) as it approached the bait, and the sow that was circling to my bait pitched a fit, screaming and smashing the nearby brush.  The boar continued to approach, and the sow threw another fit.  That was enough to tell this boar that the sow was not ready to be bred.  I caught sight of the boar, a large one that was over twice the size of this sow, maybe 80 yards away to my right, between me and a small lake.  It just ambled to the north, parallel to the edge of the lake, and out of my life.

The sow silently circled around the bait, and I lost sight of her until she emerged on the road ahead of me, circled slightly into the brush on the other side of the road, crossed over the road again behind me, then to my right, and again in front of my to the bait, which consisted of some grain piles, grain in the upright 55 gallon drum, and some grease poured on the ground.  When she reached the bait, she immediately plopped on the ground nearly facing me and began eating grain piles like lazy dog would do.  Every once in a while she would stand, and move quickly into the brush 5-10 yards away, then slowly return to the bait.  She didn't look spooked at all.  I guess this is just what they do sometimes.

She wasn't very cooperative in standing still for very good comparison to the barrel, but it looked like her back came up only to the second ring of the barrel, and for me it was a no-brainer. She was not a shooter for the first day of the hunt, and I settled in to enjoy the show.  They only thing I wanted to do was get a practice draw in at some point, because the anatomy of a bear is somewhat different from that of a deer or hog.  The sow moved behind the barrel and laid there for a long time, licking at the holes on the bottom third of the barrel.  She even hooked the barrel with here claws and rotated the barrel rather than getting up.  

The bait was in a depression with a thick canopy above it, so it got dark pretty quickly, and I was starting to have a little trouble seeing.  The sow tipped the barrel and began feeding, againg facing me, but turned to feed at a pile of grain on the ground that had spilled out of the barrel.  First chance for a practice draw in the low light, but I could barely make out the silhouette.  I drew back, like I had done so many times before, but before I knew it the arrow was gone and I heard a loud crack, and the sow took off, toward the lake then turned to the south.  I caught a glimpse of the limping bear when it was directly between me and the lake, but lost it after that in the low light.

My string tracker line had some how come loose, and I with minimal motion I pulled it back to me, and saw probably 4 feet of bloody line at the end.  I didn't understand how this was possible, but I new that I must have got good penetration.  Jerry showed up around 15 minutes later to pick me up, and I told him that I had shot one.  Based on the fact that I didn't hear a death moan from the sow and the sound of bone impact, we decided to wait until morning to look for the sow.

The other hunters all saw at least 2 bear, and all reported seeing a nice boar, but no shots were taken other than my accidental shot.  I assumed that I had hit the sow quartering away, and broken the off side shoulder, since I have done that on numerous game animal, and I figured it would be a short track.  Wrong.  We got to the bait, and put Jerry's tracking dog, named Bear, to work.

Let me just say that his dog is a beautiful Bavarian Mountain Hound that is very friendly, tightly bonded to his owner, and was quite the celebrity in camp.  Bear is also a skilled tracking dog, even at a relatively young age.

Bear went to work and quickly found the trail.  There was a massive blood trail, with Jerry up front with his dog on a leash, and me staying to the rear so as not to interfere with the track.  My blood soaked arrow was found were I last saw the bear, and you could literally see piles of blood as far as 20 yards ahead in the dark timber with the naked eye.  I was using the same Snuffer broadhead on the tip of the arrow that I had killed a 200# boar hog less than a week prior.  You would have expected to see a bear piled up 50 yards from the shot with the amount of blood present, but this went on an on for over 250 -300 yards, when the track led to thick grass on the edge of the lake and disappeared.  Fortunately the hound indicated that the location of the sow, just a few yards away from Jerry, in a small depression in the grass laying on it's back.  I am confident that any area search would have discovered the bear, since it was less than 15 yards into the grass for good blood, but it may have taken enough time for the meat to spoil.

We took a quick video of the spot of recovery began the drag out of there, amazed at how far the sow had gone with the amount of blood.  It wasn't until we were nearly back to the road that we noticed and arrow wound on the sow's head, since she had been laying on here back when we found here.  We tagged here and loaded here into the truck, got here back to camp, and had a good look at here during the skinning process.  It turns out, the arrow had gone in through a portion of the skull , down and out the opposite side of the neck, and through the opposite side armpit.  Large amounts of blood were on the armpit, coming out the neck wound, and just coating the chest. The best that I can guess is that in the low light, and with not really intending to shoot, I didn't notice that the bear was turning toward me and taking a step back when the shot went off.  I believe that the greatest amount of blood loss was from what was probably the Axillary artery in the armpit, and the combined blood loss from the armpit and neck is what did this sow in.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
This is certainly not a proud moment in my hunting life and I am pretty disgusted by myself, but I am not going to hide the bad from the good, and I learned some valuable lessons in the process.  You can't be nonchalant when practice drawing on an animal.  This could easily have had a worse outcome, with a wounded bear not recovered, and in this case still resulted in a shortened hunt with a bear recovered that I had not intended to shoot.  Not that I wouldn't have shot this bear intentionally on day 4 or 5 of the hunt if I thought it would be my best opportunity.  I am thankful to have shared camp with a good group of guys, Jerry and Luke, and for a speedy track with Bear.  Here are a few other pics.

Originally we thought about making up a story about how the sow was still alive and in the lake, and Jerry came up behind the bear, slipped a noose around the neck and choked it out to finish her off, lol.  I think Jerry looks a little like Brett Farvre in this pic.  We were actually just pulling the bear up onto the rock for a photo.

Jerry dragging the sow out.  I did help a little.

A little wet from the drag

Another angle

Luke skinning out the bear

Jerry and Luke holding up the cape, which is covered in sawdust which soaks up the blood.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
So this took up to mid day on Wednesday, and the other hunters went out that evening, and the elder Hill, Doug, and Mike both saw bear, but not shots were taken. The last to be picked up was Dave, and from a gound blind at 4 yards he shot the sow with the very plush coat that is in the picture on the previous page. I have never seen a hunter more excited after a successful hunt, and it was contagious to be around.  He was still shaking the next morning, lol.  They skinned his bear out Thursday morning, and Mike and Doug went out to different stands on Thursday evening.  No shots were taken, with Doug seeing bear, and Mike sitting on a seat in the brush not seeing anything but hearing several in the brush behind him.  That was a rough hunt, because the wind kicked up and it started to rain right at the best time, around 8pm.  I should mention that the next group of hunters arrived on Thursday, and I got to meat them.  That group included tradgangers Brian Lance and Mike Davenport.  They seem like great guys and I am sure that they will have a great hunt and stories to tell when they get back.

I was originally only supposed to leave this morning, but with having killed my sow the first day, and horrible flooding at home from Tropical Depression Bill, I decided to leave early and get home to help my wife around the house, and left Friday morning for the long drive home.  I hope to call Mike later today to get an update on how the last 2 days of the hunt went.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
As an aside, I was using my silvertip recurve and an arrow tipped with a Snuffer, Dave shot his sow with another silvertip recurve with an arrow tipped with a Simmons Safari.  He put a perfect hit on his sow.  Mike is using a Palmer recurve with arrows tipped with an Ace head, and Doug is using a centaur longbow with arrows tipped with a Simmons treeshark.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Even though IT wasn't what you were expecting ..... Congrats Pat.  

Did you happen to recover the broadhead?  I would like to see what  a snuffer looks like after hitting that much bone.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
I did.  It was surprisingly sharp, and is in my quiver, having been sharpened and it ready to go.  Fletching isn't perfect, but good enough.

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Wowser! Glad that worked out for you! Like you said, it could have ended in a worse way!

I learned that same lesson practice drawing on a ground squirrel once.

Anymore, if I want to practice draw, I just do it at a leaf or something!

Congarts on your bear!

Bisch

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Congrats pat and one heck of a story man ...CONGRATS on your bear way to take the good with the bad
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Congrats Sir  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Nice Bear Pat. I would be very happy with that one. That silvertip is a keeper. Heck ,it kills stuff even at practice. One deadly bow! Of course the owner is a killer too.RC

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Congratulations Pat.    :clapper:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Looks like you guys had a GREAT time !! The Canadian Bush is wonderful. Congrads on the Bears harvested.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Congrats on your bear!!  :thumbsup:  

Sounds like everybody had a good time.

Bob

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
You set out to kill a bear, and you succeeded. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with one killed, even if it was the result of a practice draw. Congrats.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©