3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Russell Outdoor Guides- Bear Camp Thread  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Russell Outdoor Guides- Bear Camp Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Wow, that is a wild hunt recount. I'm glad, once your arrow was released that your shot was lethal and your recovery solid.

Even though your practice draw wasn't meant to be released your practice paid off and a fatal shot delivered. You got a nice bear and a personal lesson to boot.

I thank you for relaying this just in case I ever think to make a practice draw on a critter. I'll remember this story and learn from your experience.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
One thing for sure, Pat is an avid traditional  bow hunter with a great deal of experience and many animals to his credit. Its easy to talk about your successes, but its hard to tell a story like this. Thanks for sharing Pat, we can all learn a lesson from this post.   :campfire:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Pat, very nice meeting you at camp. Things happen, they just do. Your honesty is respected by this bowhunter! Congrats on the bear, regardless of where the hit was    :campfire:  

I have a yarn to spin but I need a minute. Just home from a 22 hour drive and work calls...
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
Our adventure started last week with an arduous car ride of 20 hours to Bierthersville Québec to a nice room, a good meal and a much needed cocktail. Three of us drove, three of us flew. All of us were wore the heck out. The next morning we rallied for groceries before driving to the Mastagouche to meet Jerry. I had arranged for a camp of six guys and since I am a foodie in training, jumped at the chance to cook for the week for my crew. I had a menu planned for weeks, and for the most part we ate according to plan   :)  

The cabin we stayed in was close to the entrance to the Reserve: water, power, flush toilet and a KITCHEN! Sweet!

*Digs

After getting the low down on the hunt from Jerry we ate a bite, readied our gear, and got a hunt in. It rained fairly hard and the sightings were low, but 3 of us were relative bear rookies. The excitement at dinner that night was fun to witness!

The next few days buzzed by. A couple of days went by before one of us connected. It was with a compound so I can't divulge pics. It was his first bear, so we were all excited. For me, the hunt was slow until day four when all heck broke loose. 10 bears in one sit...nine of them walked out of "Lefty" (my new favorite bait) unscathed.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Father's Day we awoke to good weather and winds...finally! I had picked up some fabulous Quebec lamb from the local market and decided we'd eat that for dinner. Along with some fiddlehead ferns, mushrooms, potatoes and root vegetables it turned out well. Those fiddleheads are a favorite of ursus and homeo alike...a little vino topped off our mid-day meal. It was a pleasure to cook for my guys, all of us fathers but one.

Fathers Day Spread

French wine...when in Rome...

After a nap we headed to the baits. I kept a smile on my face as we bounced down the road and way north on one of the last baits on the string: "Lefty". I had hunted there early in the week and it looked great. I had a hunt there last year that was awesome, so I looked forward to the sit. Jerry settled me in and as he drove off I had a good feeling.
Mike Davenport

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
:campfire:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
Thanks Mike.  It was great meating you too.  Can't wait to hear the rest.  Lefty, huh?  Is that the stand that you hunted last year, with the water in back of the bait?

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
No Pat it was one that has a mountain feel to it...you are thinking Permier. Good look there too!

I didn't get a visitor until 8 pm, a smaller sow that skirted the bait. Soon thereafter a giant propane tank of a sow walked into view, nervous. I thought I heard something behind her and wanted to wait and see if it was a boar. As Jerry says, big sows have big boyfriends   :)   To my surprise a 60 pound bear was trailing and it dawned on me this sow had offspring still. What I witnessed was tough to watch though. She'd run him up a tree and bite him then walk off a few paces and wait on him. It was like she couldn't make up her mind yet to run him off before a big tending boar killed him. I truly hope she eventually ran him off. Either way she got a pass...

30 minutes later I look to see a nice boar heading my way. I grabbed my bow and watched as he skirted the bait scent checking. I could only assume he had love and not food on his mind. I counted coup on him as he was smaller than I wanted and the night was young. It was the right call for me as I would have rather gone home empty than kill such a fine young boar.

Just before last light I looked up to see another bear walking the road away from me about 40 yards. It made no attempt to come in and seemed intent on leaving. I did something that I had not done before: I mimicked a boar glunk with my mouth...picture a bad moose grunt. I didn't know if it'd work but it stopped the bear in its tracks. She turned and walked directly at me. At some point picking up the scent of the boar who had skirted the bait. I decided that was enough for me. Recognizing it was a nice sized sow, alone, on the next to the last night of my hunt, I told myself this bear was the one.

When she stopped right where the boar stopped and gave me a quartering away money shot I drew my Talltines longbow and let the string roll off my fingers...

*First visitor
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
The shot was as perfect as the set-up. Before I could finish looking to heaven and thanking God for the gift I heard her crash. With that lonely moan that makes me happy and sad at once it was over in less than a few seconds. The most humanely quick death of any animal I Have taken further supported that this bear was indeed the "one".

I had 5  more visitors: a trio of nearly grown cubs intent on being hooligans, along with their wired mother and another skirting boar. All of that was a backdrop to the end of a perfect evening. A perfect Father's Day for me. I sat there in the darkness listening to wild bears doing wild bear stuff with a feeling of satisfaction and contentment that I can't explain.

When Jerry picked me up I told him of the shot and we found the arrow painted red stuck 6 inches in the ground at point of impact. A short 40 yards and there she was. We got her out and tagged.

A word on Jerry: he is a tireless worker and a great guy. He had his hands full this week with two full camps. I appreciate his hard work so much! It was nice to give him an easy trail on this one  :)  

*Hard working man
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
We might have had a cocktail or two when we got back to camp. I had one of my oldest friends from college with me, M. Hunt. A newly converted trad Hunter and I hope a contributor here sometime. I also had my buddy B. Lance aka Big Sexy along for this ride. Along with the other guys of the group it was good to enjoy the success over a gumbo and a cold beer.

The next day I drive the 23 km to Jerry's camp from our cabin. Halfway there I remembered I forgot my Talltines for photos. So the bow I have in the pics is borrowed. If it seems disingenuous, sue me. I borrowed Mr. Al's selfbow as it was cool   :)   I managed to wrangle "BearDog", Jerry's Bovarian Mountain Hound into some pics. He helped me with my bear last year and is as cool as the other side of the pillow. I am glad we didn't need each other this year.

*Selfbow hack

*BearDog

I spent the morning with Luke, Jerry's hard working son and assistant guide skinning my bear. I took every piece of meat I could. It will make some fine dishes for my family. Tomorrow we are having bear shank braised osso bucco style...the hide will become a rug for my daughters room and the claws a necklace for my wife. Such a great gift of a bear!

*Luke and I working

The hunt ended too soon. I was not ready for work today. I did get to hunt with my friend M.Hunt that last night. I ran the camera as he tried to take his first animal with a stickbow. True to his grit, he passed a small sow.

*Brother

At dark we had a nice boar come in but darkness caught us. He grinned from ear to ear and I know now he is hooked for life   :)  

I'd like to thank Jerry, Luke and the men I shared camp with! Great week for the soul...until we meet again my dear friends    :campfire:    

Mike Davenport

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Mike, congrats on a beautiful bear!!! I enjoyed the heck out of your story, and the pictures. That meal you cooked in the pic looked awesome.

Glad to hear that you took all the meat from your bear too, some don't.

You probably already know this, but if you like liver to begin with, It's hard to beat bear liver. To me, It's very similar to pork liver, only better. Good stuff.

Thanks Mike.

Bob

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Well done my friend!  I hope we can share a bear camp again soon, east or west.

D.P.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine bear mike ...great story I felt like I was On my stand with you!! Also the eats looked yummy too!  :D
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Great bear, Mike.  Congrats.  I will probably make a bear roast after work settles down some.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Way to go Mike! Always love hearing your adventures and how you make them come to life for us to read...thanks!!

Those french bears were lucky Big Sexy didn't pick a spot on one of them. Things die when he picks a spot!!

Looks like a great hunt and a great place...congrats to all the hunters here!!!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
OK, I just got asked to make some posts about Mike Dutdut's hunt.  Here is his comments about the first day.

"What a great experience at Bear Camp this year! I arrived back at home on the 22nd but stayed unplugged from the internet and outside world until this morning. I wanted to savor the last few days of solitude until the reality of everyday life returned. My hunt started the afternoon of June 16th. We all met with Jerry and reviewed expectations for the hunt and he answered any questions that we had.  After a great lunch, we shot a few arrows and Jerry explained to us where we would be that evening and what we could expect to see. The excitement began to build within us all and we couldn’t wait to get on stand.  We piled into his F150 and headed out. I was the last to be dropped off that evening, which meant that I would be the first to be picked up. Jerry and Luke led me out to the stand and baited the site.  As I settled in, Jerry signaled the location of the bear trails, gave me a thumbs up and quietly exited. The woods were completely silent except for my heart beating out of my chest. It took me a few minutes to settle down and overcome my excitement. I was able to gain my composure and take in the beauty and solitude of dense north woods. I have ever witnessed such complete silence. For once in my life, I had nothing from the outside world weighing on my mind. I was here to enjoy the experience and hopefully see some bears. About 2 hours into the sit, the silence was interrupted by the snapping of a twig to my right. I slowly peered around my shoulder to see a bear floating in. I was impressed by the sheer size of this bear and how stealthily he moved through the undergrowth. I was taken back to my earlier orientation with Jerry. He said that your first bear encounter will be unforgettable and that no matter how big or small it is, it will look huge. Jerry was correct. The bear continued surveying its surroundings and passed right under my stand. I could have easily lowered my Palmer recurve and touched its massive head as it passed. I steadied myself in the event that the bear offered a shot. At 5 yards he turned broadside and looked up at me. I remember looking at his massive head as he licked his nose and attempted to pinpoint the origin of the unfamiliar smell. I was pinned down and couldn’t have taken the shot without spooking the bear with my movement. He turned away from me and began to move towards the barrel. I stood up and readied myself for a shot. The bear was now facing my direction as he knocked down the barrel and began to feed. I was not offered with another shot opportunity on this brute that night but I was able to enjoy the up close encounter. After 15 minutes he lumbered off slowly into the darkness of the canopy. I remember Jerry advising me not to shoot the first bear that I saw but instead enjoy the experience. Had I shot, my trip would be over and the therapy of the deep woods would end. It wasn’t until the next bear approached that I truly realized how big that first bruin was. I identified this one as a sow and watched as she nervously approached the bait. She would look over her shoulder, stop, sniff the air and evaluate her next step. She was only 7 yards away when she began to feed. She offered multiple shot opportunities for the next 20 minutes. As tempting as it was, I kept my bow on the hanger and took in all that the experience had to offer.  Darkness fell in short order and the woods came alive with bear noises and the clamoring of unknown activity. In the distance I could hear a vehicle approaching. I waited in anticipation as the white truck stopped and a red head lamp closed in on my stand. Jerry grabbed my bow and waived for me to begin my descent. As I climbed down, the anticipation began to build once again. I couldn’t wait to pick up the other hunters and hear their stories. This was going to be a great week. "

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Great Bear mike.

Pat, I  hope to hear more of Duck Butts adventure...   :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Keep this coming!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
OK, I just got asked to make some posts about Mike Dutdut's hunt.  Here is his comments about the first day.

"What a great experience at Bear Camp this year! I arrived back at home on the 22nd but stayed unplugged from the internet and outside world until this morning. I wanted to savor the last few days of solitude until the reality of everyday life returned. My hunt started the afternoon of June 16th. We all met with Jerry and reviewed expectations for the hunt and he answered any questions that we had.  After a great lunch, we shot a few arrows and Jerry explained to us where we would be that evening and what we could expect to see. The excitement began to build within us all and we couldn’t wait to get on stand.  We piled into his F150 and headed out. I was the last to be dropped off that evening, which meant that I would be the first to be picked up. Jerry and Luke led me out to the stand and baited the site.  As I settled in, Jerry signaled the location of the bear trails, gave me a thumbs up and quietly exited. The woods were completely silent except for my heart beating out of my chest. It took me a few minutes to settle down and overcome my excitement. I was able to gain my composure and take in the beauty and solitude of dense north woods. I have ever witnessed such complete silence. For once in my life, I had nothing from the outside world weighing on my mind. I was here to enjoy the experience and hopefully see some bears. About 2 hours into the sit, the silence was interrupted by the snapping of a twig to my right. I slowly peered around my shoulder to see a bear floating in. I was impressed by the sheer size of this bear and how stealthily he moved through the undergrowth. I was taken back to my earlier orientation with Jerry. He said that your first bear encounter will be unforgettable and that no matter how big or small it is, it will look huge. Jerry was correct. The bear continued surveying its surroundings and passed right under my stand. I could have easily lowered my Palmer recurve and touched its massive head as it passed. I steadied myself in the event that the bear offered a shot. At 5 yards he turned broadside and looked up at me. I remember looking at his massive head as he licked his nose and attempted to pinpoint the origin of the unfamiliar smell. I was pinned down and couldn’t have taken the shot without spooking the bear with my movement. He turned away from me and began to move towards the barrel. I stood up and readied myself for a shot. The bear was now facing my direction as he knocked down the barrel and began to feed. I was not offered with another shot opportunity on this brute that night but I was able to enjoy the up close encounter. After 15 minutes he lumbered off slowly into the darkness of the canopy. I remember Jerry advising me not to shoot the first bear that I saw but instead enjoy the experience. Had I shot, my trip would be over and the therapy of the deep woods would end. It wasn’t until the next bear approached that I truly realized how big that first bruin was. I identified this one as a sow and watched as she nervously approached the bait. She would look over her shoulder, stop, sniff the air and evaluate her next step. She was only 7 yards away when she began to feed. She offered multiple shot opportunities for the next 20 minutes. As tempting as it was, I kept my bow on the hanger and took in all that the experience had to offer.  Darkness fell in short order and the woods came alive with bear noises and the clamoring of unknown activity. In the distance I could hear a vehicle approaching. I waited in anticipation as the white truck stopped and a red head lamp closed in on my stand. Jerry grabbed my bow and waived for me to begin my descent. As I climbed down, the anticipation began to build once again. I couldn’t wait to pick up the other hunters and hear their stories. This was going to be a great week. "
This is the best description I've ever heard or read about being alone in the silent serenity of the bear woods that can suddenly erupt with hair raising activity. And yes, the first one you see is gigantic. I didn't have the self control needed with my first one but I learned on subsequent hunts how to judge a good bear before dropping the string. Thanks for taking us along and I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©