3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broad head mania  (Read 853 times)

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
Broad head mania
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Looking at all the broadheads on the market is exhausting. The reviews are confusing with one guy saying they are too hard to sharpen and the next guy talks about how easy they are to sharpen while another talks about how noisy they are and the next how quite. Should I spend $16.95 for them or over $100. I trust that someone here has the answer to what to use for a longbow for deer size game.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Re: Broad head mania
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
.............(zwickey)....................!
 save your money,..........dont waste it on over priced broadheads!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Zwickey double bevel No Mercy! Easy to sharpen, stay sharp and fly great. No kill experience though.   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I would think that if the broadhead goes through the boiler room the deer, elk, bear, moose etc (pick one), the animal doesn't spend a lot of time worrying about what kind it is or how much it cost. Good advice above
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
Zwickey or Ace standards...more than enough broadhead...and you wont cry if you loose one.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
True, wait no False.....

any head thats been on the market for more than a decade managed to do so because they work.  For deer save your money and buy some of the 25-35 bucks for 6 kind.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I have 3 personal favorites. Zwickey Delta 4 blades, Wensel Woodsmans, and Simmons treesharks. The Simmons are the priciest of the heads I use but they work so well I continue to use them. Like the others have said though any well made broadhead will work and I highly recommend any one of these three heads because of their quality.
James Kerr

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
There are a lot of good choices. Zwickey, Ace, Grizzly for 2-blades, Wensel Woodsmans for 3.  All are easy to sharpen.

Any vented head is going to be louder than a solid head.  Sharpening is more a matter of technique than anything, but if you are sharpening challenged, you can get a great edge by using a simple Accusharp tool.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Snuffers, and several others, have been around a long time and taken a ton of game.  The larger the animal, the more you need to look at what BH you use-any BH will take down ground hog, but not necessarily cape buffalo or elephant.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
I've killed an awful lot of critters with Zwickey 4-blade deltas.  Also like STOS, Magnus and Abowyer two blade heads and Wensel Woodsmans.  Lots of good heads out  there.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Everyone had their favorites when it to archery equipment but especially when it comes to broadheads.  After hunting for more than 40 years with my stick bows and killing lots of big game I have my share of favorite broadheads but a couple are always with me.  Snuffers when I want a three blade and Delta or Ace when I want a two blade.
habujohn

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
They all work and they all don't work.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
No kidding!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Zwickey yet ?
Can't be beat !
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Borrow or buy several from friends or the classifieds. one or two of a certain design will let you know your skill level of sharpening and mounting.

Heck send me your address I'll send you a couple to get started. They're all fun to try!!

The easiest I ever sharpened was a Ace. The biggest hole I ever put in a Deer was with a Snuffer. Had great luck With the Magnus also.

Haven't tried the single bevels yet but I was gifted some by Drewsbow and might give them a whirl this fall.

bretto

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
True, wait no False.....

any head thats been on the market for more than a decade managed to do so because they work.  For deer save your money and buy some of the 25-35 bucks for 6 kind.
You need not go any further than what is said above!  PERIOD!  Do yourself a favor,  and drop that heavy weight of broadhead confusion you've been carrying!
Tried and true,  field proven legends  (and they wont empty your pocket)
Zwickey
Magnus
Grizzly
Ace
STOS
Simmons

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I use Woodsmans and Zwickeys. They have done a good job for me.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
Cutthroat broadheads from Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear! Unless you lose them you will never have to pay for another head, and I've never gotten a broadhead so sharp so fast with a KME.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
You need two things to get a zwickey hunting sharp. A new file and a felt tip marker, if you want to get fancy add an arrow holder. Just make sure that your file strokes are machine like and treat all four edges equally.  Ending with light even strokes, some like to leave the burr and some like to remove it.  I have done it both ways, I cannot tell the difference on which more effective on deer.  If you are concerned about initial blood on the ground go with a four blade, but they are a little more challenging to sharpen, just a little. If you really want to hammer something use a Delta four blade.  I bought a couple dozen Herters four blades for $10 that were unused, I find them to be excellent as well.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I am another member of the Zwickey camp.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©